SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hay belly or foal????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Hay belly or foal???? « Previous Next »

Danica
Neonate
Username: Danica

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I am new here and would like to ask for some advice/opinions. I have a 3yo filly that was pastured with a 2yo stallion from Oct to sometime in Jan(previous owner). She came into heat March,April,and May. I didn't think she was bred until the past month or so she has started looking bigger. I started watching her a little closer and one morning she had udders! The portion just above her teats was thickened,firm and warm. I was able to squeeze a stream of cloudy fluid out of them. They continued to enlarge a little everyday for a week, then gradually went down again. That was about two weeks ago and her udders have not filled since. There is NO lush pasture here only coastal grass hay. She is not terribly fat except for her belly. I will post pics that I took today as soon as I figure out how. I am considering ordering a blood test to determine if she is bred or not. Has anyone used one of these blood tests and was it accurate?
Thanks, any info would be apprectiated! I haven't had any pregnant mares in years.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danica, it is very possibly for her to be pregnant. sometimes even yearling studs can breed a mare. So I would have her checked for sure to find out. Also a maiden mare usually does not get a very large belly due to the fact her muscles have not been stretched out from previous foals. This was our maiden mare last year. The picture was taken one week before she foaled.
http://www.webznmoredesign.com/Picture%20206.jpg
As far as the blood test I have never used that before. We just take our mares into the vet and have an ultrasound done. Hope that helped some.

Also this maiden mare did bag up and then her bag went away for a coupld of weeks then she bagged up again about 3 weeks before foaling.

Danica
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kassie, it did help. I created a photo bucket account, and if I can figure out how to post some pics I will. My husband will help me with that. I am the proud new owner of a VERY pregnant, and SKINNY 15yo thoroughbred mare. She was slaughter house bound. I couldn't bear to see her go there, she's such a sweetie. I just won't tell my husband,HeHe. She has a bad cut on her leg and I am going to have the vet out to see her and my maybe preggo horse. I should know for sure soon.

Danica
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I am going to try this and hope for the best. I just have to warn everyone that my mare has no mane or tail. This is normal for her as she is a Bashkir Curly. She is what is referred to as an extreme trait curly. All extremes have some degree of mane/tail loss. Most people think it is bizarre and even ugly. I am used to looking at her, although it did take some getting used to. Also, she sheds out in the spring to a smooth coat and her curls appear again in the winter.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/danica_012/MVC-020F.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/danica_012/MVC-011F.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/danica_012/MVC-007F.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/danica_012/MVC-004F.jpg

Danica
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and here is one more. It didn't make the last post for some reason.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/danica_012/MVC-008F.jpg

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danica she could be pregnant. Her belly is not big but first foals are often small. When you get her checked let us know. She is a pretty mare even without mane and tail. She has a nice hip on her. And a sweet looking face.

Kelly Bowman
Nursing Foal
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so hard to tell if they are pregnant without an ultra sound.
I was wondering if any one out there knew about how far along a mare is when she gets the "V" shape you see in some pregnant mares and if they get this look after they have had a few babies?
Kassie's picture from the above post of her mare doesn't appear to have the "v" shape.
My mare is about 140 days pregnant and to me, my gelding looks as pregnant as she does,but my friends all say she looks pregnant.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the v does not come until the foal turns into position to be born, a week or two prior to delivery or a day or two...depends on the mare. My mare never got teh V her forst 2 pregnancies...this year though she looked like this...353 days 2 days before delivery.[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6517.jpg[/IMG]and the day before delivery...[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6571.jpg[/IMG]. So this shows a v and this is when she did it...hope it helps!

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare never got the V shape either with her first foal. She stayed that round belly up until the end. The foal was alittle bit smaller. But he was healthy and strong. But my other mare that has had 3 foals now got the V shape about 3 days before she foaled. So really the best way to tell if she is pregnant is to have her checked by ultrasound.

Danica
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kassie. I think she is kinda cute too. She is a very stocky girl and has a sweet disposition.
She doesn't look that big to me either from the side except for the part of her stomach that bulges out from under her ribcage. She looks huge from the front or the back. Like she swallowed a watermelon. The colt she was pastured with has one baby on the ground, so I know he was "working" then.
Wouldn't palpation determine pregnancy just as well as ultrasound?

Kelly Bowman
Nursing Foal
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kris for posting the pics of your mare!
They are amazing pictures and I am going to document my mare's pregnancy too!
I guess I have a ways to go before I might see the "v" shape!

Toni
Weanling
Username: Toni

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there an obvious difference between obesity and pregnancy? I have a little mini mare who looks extremely fat to me. I don't want to have her palpated unless there is a good chance she is pregnant. She is little (except a huge belly and big rear end) and my vet has a large arm. She is only 3. Is there something I can look for? Her belly is not a v, but kind of a U, and her tail head is not prominent. She has been with a stallion for the last year, so it is possible, although he is two and has never impregnated any mare yet.
Thanks

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In most mares it can look very similar, Udder development can help, but some mare will lactate with rich feed. A thick crest in the neck is indicative of obesity but she could be both pregnant and fat. In your case a blood test might be the way to go.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US