SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Feeding the Pregnant Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Feeding the Pregnant Mare « Previous Next »

Sandy Smith
Neonate
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering what everyone feeds their PG mares. I used to feed Strategy, but have decided that I want something better for my mares and also my foals when it's time to feed them. I would appreciate opinions on this, so I can make an informed decision about what to feed.
Thanks everyone! Sandy

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told PROGRESSIVE NUTRITION is awesome, supposed to be nutritionally balanced and easily absorbed without all the added sugars and carbs!
it is what i will be feeding my weanling and yearling this fall when i begin their grain again.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use TDI horse feed. It is formulated for breeding mares and young horses...to reduce DOD's. Have to have it shipped in as there are no distributors where I live. A bit of a pain, but worth it as far as I'm concerned.
I have also used Tizwhiz...pretty much the same as TDI.
I have heard wonderful things about:
Progressive & Buckeye products. All theses feeds are taylored for breeding mares throughout there gestation, foaling, and for their foals to continue on after weaning.
All of these folks have great nutritionists on staff to answer questions.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use(d) something called Top Spec feed balancer - It is made for all varieties of horses so I can continue using it for pregnancy, lactating mare and foal - it has all the nutrition but is concentrated so that I didnt have to feed sooo much as with some of the stud mixes I saw - My mare wask keeping so well and I didnt want her to put extra weight on. She is now mum of an 11wk foal and is still a little fat I guess but Iam feeding her the topspec anyhow and they both look great and the foal has always been very strong.

dreamonthefly
Neonate
Username: Dreamonthefly

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feed mostly Purina products. They have just formulated a new broodmare/growing horse ration called EVOLUTION MATERNITY. My mares are doing well on it. It can be fed to the youngsters right up until weaning and makes an EASY transition to the growing horse ration Purina Juvenile. For creep feed I do however prefer the Buckey Foal starter as it is milk based making nutrients more readily available to a young digestive system. I make this available from day 1.

Ruth
Neonate
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one won't help you in the US, but I feed Purina's LegendMaker Plus. It is an extruded feed for pregnant mares, and I have found my mare holds her weight much better on it. Then I supplement with Equilizer.

Kelly Bowman
Neonate
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mare is now over 100 days pregnant and lots of people are trying to tell me what to feed and when. My vet told me to supplement with equicell and has not commented on any specific feed at this time...
When should you start feeding pregnant mares special feed?

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last three months is the time when 'special' feed is recomended as this is the time frame where the foal grows most. I added a supplement (benevit) for the time before that, generally my mare has that through the winter anyway. And then changed to the feed balancer/stud mix (whatever you choose) for the last trimester.

Hope this helps - good luck Kelly : )

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have fed source one, Pellet form for over 5 years it's excellent suppliment with the added arabinogalactins there is also a powder form for the immune system used as a preventative or a feed efficency factor, inhanced growth in young babies.also for horses with chronic stiffness inflammation or recurrent gastrointestinal. I personally want less sugars in my horses Supps

You might want to check this site out

www.immuneone.com

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like TizWhiz. It has different formulas for specific horses. There is a broodmare formula that my mare loves. Shes on that now. My weanling is on the 16% formula and my stallion gets a combination when he is in training for shows.

The broodmare formulation has no grain in it, as I am drying her up from weaning. Its basically a vitamin/mineral supplement. She also gets pasture 12 hours a day and free choice hay.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 365
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had great success with feeding the mares Strategy and my foals Equine Junior. I always say, I think the junior is the best feed I have ever fed.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US