SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant Mare Bleeding From Teats

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant Mare Bleeding From Teats « Previous Next »

Tina
Neonate
Username: Tina

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help. My maiden mare is pregnant, not sure how far along. Was originally bred in late Oct and then was caught breeding again in March. I think she was in a false heat in March but have not done an ultrasound yet. My problem is that in mid June was out riding and after riding for about one and a half hours I noticed the inside of her back legs were coverd with blood. I originally thought that she had stabbed herself with a tree limb or something to have caused so much blood to be covering her legs. I then realized the blood was dripping from her teats. I then milked her and blood came out. I also noticed that at the beginning of the ride she was a little bagged up and at the time of the bleeding the swelling had gone down. I called the vet immediately but by the time I got her home she had quit bleeding. I also milked her again when I got her home and nothing but clear liquid came out. Went riding the first of July and she started bleeding again. Not as bad as the first time but still there was some blood leaking from her teats. She is still bagged up and now I have noticed some swelling moving along the bottom of her stomach from the back to the front. Could this be mastitis or something else? Vet is coming out Sat morning. Note--this does not happen while grazing, only when trail riding. Have also milked her a couple of times since and fluid is clear.

Jennifer D
Weanling
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tina,

What do you mean by breeding? was she in a pasture with a gelding or stud and caught in the act?

Tina
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was in with a stud and was caught in the act by my grandmother the second time. The first time she was with a different stud and was caught in the act several times over about a two week period.

Jennifer D
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are your certain she is still pregnant? I'd appeal to Jos for this one.

(Message edited by jennifer on July 27, 2006)

Tina
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitly still pregnant. In fact, she is really beginning to put on the weight in just the last three weeks. She was palpated back in May.

Jennifer D
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any thoughts for Tina? I haven't a clue.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one thing I can think of right off....but there is surely more. Please don't take my thoughts over the thoughts/education/advice of a DVM.

Bleeding from the teats can be a symptom of a prepubic tendon rupture. "Normally" seen in late-term mares, those who've had many foals, and more commonly in draft breeds.
Granted, with prepubic tendon ruptures, these mares are heavy in foal, and the tendon gives way...and the bleeding can be a pre or post symptom of a rupture.

I'm NO vet, but would encourage you to pursue a veterinarian's advice...specifically since your mare is in foal.

Tina
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet came out and said that everything looked fine to him at this time. He palpated her again and said that she is possibly around 7 months but could barely feel the foal so not 100% sure of when she is due to foal. No blood at this time. But he did say that he didn't think it was mastitis.

This "prepubic tendon rupture", is it a serious condition? My mare is 16.5 hh and was bred by a horse of the same size maybe a hand shorter. Can this cause problems with foaling or nursing? Any other signs to look for?

tonya welch
Neonate
Username: Cowgirl91

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello my name is tonya and i have a similar problem. my mare is bleeding from her vaginal area and i wanted to kno what may be the problem. my grandmother thinks she may have lost her colt. but she only bleeds when she is lieing down. i was out to get her one day to take her to the grazing field. she was lieing down and she got up when i got to her. behind her there was a pool of blood and her legs and vaginal area was coverered in blood. It is also her FIRST foal. I need help. i cannot find anything info about this at all. we stalled her for awhile. please give me suggestions.

Veronique Dumas
Neonate
Username: Formosus

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no expert but I was told that vaginal bleeding in pregant mare might not be as bad as we might think since varicose vein within the vagina wall can sometime rupture and bleed what looks to us like important quantity of blood. If that is the case there is little concern, other then keeping her clean.
I was told that vaginal bleeding is not a typical sign of abortion in mare (not like in people!)
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will pipe in.

chanelle sullivan
Neonate
Username: Nellie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi im a new user my mare is over 3 weeks over due last night when i checked her ther was dried blood on one of her teats so i wiped it off and it started dripping blood then it stopped its not in the milk, i rang my vet today and he was'nt sure she is in great spirts considering shes over and eating like a hoover ha ha and loves my company follows me everywhere can anyone give me a answer why this happened please

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i can't answer your question, but hate to see it go unanswered! I have never had a mare drip blood from the teats before. Hopefully, someone will be able to answer your question! Has your vet seen her yet? Or was he concerned enough to see her? Maybe it's nothing to worry over...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US