SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Umm don't know what to title but please help !!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Umm don't know what to title but please help !! « Previous Next »

Aeysha Major
Neonate
Username: Sp_ranch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, the other day I had though i heard a noise outside and went out to see my 3 yr old filly being chased by my stallion around my yard. He broke his fence and hers when a weed or something had tripped his electric line and I had just bought this stallion so he was a little rowdy due to his new surroundings anyways.
When I came out they were both drenched in sweat like he had been chasing her for some time and tried to stop him but could not. They continued lapping my yard and a field by the house and my filly was kicking him etc. She's in training and is in much better shape then he was and she continued running from him and kicking him for another 20 minutes at least. and I kept trying to catch him with no success. And one of the times as I ran around the house after them I lost sight of them and noticed my barn door had been open and ran down there. When I got there, I heard them in a stall and went in to see her standing pretty close to him in the stall and both were breathing very heavily and dripping in sweat from running. I put a halter and lead on my stud and chased the filly outand closed him in the stall he got upset and tried to come after her but obviously couldn't.
ANyhow, sorry for the long editorial, but question is do you think he bred her in that minute I lost sight of them? Or that she would even conceive after being so hot and sweated up. I definately do not want her preg but it troubled me that they were both just standing in the stall.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard to say if he bred her or not. Probably not, but it's not worth the risk as the solution is easy. Talk to your veterinarian about getting a shot of prostaglandin to give to her. 2 doses given 14 days apart would be more of a guarantee against unwanted pregnancy if you don't know where she was in her cycle at the time of suspected breeding.

Aeysha Major
Neonate
Username: Sp_ranch

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how long is the latest i can give the initial prostaglandin shot? My vet is out of town and i'd prefer to use him if at all possible.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will be good for quite a while if you are not intending to breed the mare this year (although as you get later, you may need multiple shots).

If you want to breed the mare this year, you should give the last shot no later than 28 days after the estimated ovulation upon which she was bred.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US