SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Swollen under jaw?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Swollen under jaw? « Previous Next »

Amitola Dreamer
Neonate
Username: Amitoladreamer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the pics I have found on the web it doesn't appear to be strangles. And she doesnt have any symptoms( runny nose or cough) she is still eating great, all the energy and all is still there. I am terrified she may have a Tumor or something. Anyone have any idea? From the pics I have found on the internet strangles swelling appears further back from my horses swelling. Hers is in front of the jaw and about 1-2 inches behind her bottom lip which is much lower that what pics I have found of strangles. She is not sensitive to touch there either. ???? I can't find any good pics or info to give me any idea what it could be. ps..she is 3months along

Amitola Dreamer
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.boxlt.com/images/HALTERONHORSE2.JPG
The only thing I can find to show about where it is located. It would be directly under/above ( whatever) where you would hook a leadrope on this horse.

Amitola Dreamer
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.hanne.com there is a pic of a 4yr old horse with "growth bumps" from erupting teeth. This looks just like what my horse has but she is 8yrs old??? Could it be a tooth abcess? she is eating fine? SORRY for so many post but its bugging me till my vet can come out and check her out.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be strangles too, in that location. Just wait and see what the vet says.

Amitola Dreamer
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, The vet said it is strangles, and everyone has it- but no one has any symptoms besides slight swelling of the lymph nodes. My one mare is 3 months pregnant. He doesnt seem to think its too serious and has recommended Pen G everyday to hopefully take down all the swelling and all Before they rupture... My question:
Once they have had strangles is it like chicken pox with kids and I shouldn't have to worry about them getting it again.
What are the chances that mom will pass enough immunity to the foal that he/she won't come down with it after birth?
Thanks ALL

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amitola- we dealt with strangles this spring right before foaling season, the foals all came and none of them contracted it if that makes you feel any better, I hope that you are as lucky. We did have one foal that seemed to be.. slow ?? he had some sort of neurological disorder, whether it was related to the mare having strangles I cannot say. Our rule of thumb for treating the strangles is this, if they are swollen already, we wait till they rupture to treat with PCN. Occasionally, the vet will need to lance the swollen lymph gland if the swelling becomes too severe. It's a nasty, messy illness, but it is treatable. Just hang in there, and good luck with getting them all well again. Ev

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a situation that the vet thought it was strangles, started treating as if strangles, the mare had a allergic reaction to pc (which she then foundered from the pc/reaction). The vet finally did a test the stangles test came back negitive and the mare tested at toxic levels for pc. We had insisted that she had a splinter under her jaw(in the same spot your talking about), but the vet wanted to treat as if it were strangles.
I take caution when having to treat with pc now, only doing it when absolutely a must and choose other forms of meds before pc.

Good luck
Kim

Kerri
Nursing Foal
Username: Kerrit

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amitola,

I wouldn't worry too much. My mare developed strangles right before she delivered. She had a healthy baby girl last month, and got over the strangles infection in a few weeks. The foal did end up getting the strangles infection but instead of absesses cropping out around her head/neck area she got them in her rear end and udder!! We were totally baffled...the vets around here had never seen anthing like it and all the research I did on the web kept telling me the only possibility was that she had bastard strangles (which she does NOT seeing as she is still eating, running/playing, nursing, and NO temp.) Anyway, her absesses finally openend up a little yesterday and have started to drain.

That was a worse case scinerio, and with your mare only being 3 months along I'm confident that your mare will be completely over the infection before she foals, and that both she and the baby will be okay :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US