SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Paranoid? or is she pregnant...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Paranoid? or is she pregnant... « Previous Next »

Lisa Haueisen
Neonate
Username: Lisaqhjessie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my QH mare this may and the man I got her from said she was in a pasture with a colt that had been gelded 6 weeks before arriving. I wasn't worried about the possibility of her being pregnant until about a month ago when I noticed that her flanks had filled out. She is on turn out 24/7 and hasn't touched the hay yet so it's not weight gain. She started getting touchy around her barrel and flanks. She's also been very dominant to her pasture buddy, the miniature, biting him and chasing him around the pasture several times a day. She used to be the calmest horse ever (people always complimented me on her temper) but now she's been restless over the past few weeks. I've started her on oats since there is not much grass left and she still refuses hay and last night when she was eating I went and checked if she is touchy around her udder and yes, she started kicking her legs and moved away from me (she's never done that before). I don't want to get the vet out because it's really expensive since I'm not close to a town. Do these behavior changes sound like she could be pregnant? What other things should I watch out for or be aware of?

Lisa Haueisen
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've also never noticed her going into heat! I heard that with some mares you can't tell unless they're around a stud, but she was only with miniature gelding since I got her..

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How far along could she be? you can order a wee foal its very reasonable. I understand having the vet make a farm call, it costs me roughly 100$ just for them to drive here....

Lisa Haueisen
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well igot her end of may and he couldnt have the colt for long so maybe 5 to 6 months, and yes I'm thinking about ordering the weefoal, but I was wondering if the change in behavior has to do with pregnancy or could that be a sign of something else?

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while the behavior changes could be related to a pregnancy, they are absolutely not proof.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her changes could also be because she is now the boss of the pasture.
With her being a QH and him being a mini gelded 6 weeks prior to her arrival I am betting she isnt bred. At least by the mini.
Was she with any other stallions?

Lisa Haueisen
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no no the mini was gelded way before we got him. I got my mare this summer and where she was at she was with a colt (a QH). The mini came way later and is just her pasture buddy, and he's been with her for a while now

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok I misunderstood. Still if the qh colt was gelded 6 weeks prior to her arrival chances are your girl isnt bred.
If she is cycling and its silent she could have days with more attitude too. As well as taking her position of lead mare.
Thats just one possibility other than pregnancy.
Let us know how the wee foal turns out:-)

Lisa Haueisen
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea i'll just get the wee foal and put my mind at ease. horses are stressful haha there's always a new surprise in store for you

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy thats the truth! LOL,
My wee foal should be here tomorrow and I will post the results on Kate.
let us know how yours turns out.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US