SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Young mare hasn't started cycling yet???...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Young mare hasn't started cycling yet???... « Previous Next »

Rissa
Neonate
Username: Rissa

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I have a young maiden WB mare who will be 4 in December. We want to put her in foal this season (I'm in Australia. We had planned to send her to be AI in early-mid Oct however haven't been able to do anything with her as yet because she hasn't started cycling properly! We had her scanned a week or so ago & she has follicles (largest was about 20mm) but the vet said there wasn't a mature CL so he assumes she hasn't had her first ovulation for the season yet. So he assumes she is still in the transitional phase from winter going into spring. We're in Northern Aust. so have mild winters and alot of mares will cycle through winter anyway & can be bred early in the season. This mare last year started cycling properly at the start of August, the year prior to that in early September so basically she normally has started cycling prior to now hence why we're getting itchy feet!...

Is there any way to manipulate the mare's cycle to start her cycling & ovulating properly so we can then work on setting her up to be AI??? Or in this case do you just have to wait until she has her first ovulation for the season?...

The vet wasn't very helpful... he just said to bring her back in a few weeks & he would see what was happening but problem is that the vet with the ultrasound is 6hrs away! I was pretty sure the mare wasn't cycling properly yet prior to getting her scanned a week or so ago- her first few cycles of the season don't usually go unnoticed!!! She is the only mare amongst a bunch of geldings and is quite a volatile moody Miss when that time comes around!... She is in really good condition, has dropped her winter coat & looks a picture at the moment. She is in feed all the time anyway & we have recently had a bit of rain so she has some green pick. The only thing we can think of which may have caused her to be slow in coming on is that we sent her to the breakers at the start of Sept to finish being broken in which was basically just a matter of getting on & riding her- she had had all the other foundation work done before- so she had 5 weeks of work through Sept but is now on her second week off. She did drop a little bit of weight in the first 2 weeks but picked up quickly after that.

If anyone can offer me any insight as to why this mare may be slow in starting to cycle properly or what we can possibly do to get her going that would be greatly appreciated!

Anna Limmer
Neonate
Username: Delta

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm why would the vet suggest that you PG her? That is the injection that will bring them into season within 3 - 5 days normally, we use it in NZ.

Rissa
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet didn't really suggest any options except to bring her back in a few weeks to see what she is doing... They were busy at the time so I didn't get a chance to quiz him further. I'm not sure but I thought you couldn't PG the mare to short cycle her unless she had a CL present and/or has had at least one ovulation for the season???.... Maybe I misunderstood what I read somewhere but that was just something I remember reading about somewhere... Any further info would be great!

Anna Limmer
Neonate
Username: Delta

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure on that one, but I would call them back and get a better explanation as to what your options are as it is not good enough to say bring her back later - could end up missing the breeding season with that attitude! Good Luck

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A significant portion of mares that are apparently showing estrus and cycling in the winter are in fact not ovulating.

Prostaglandin ("PG") will not work unless there is a functional CL present (see this article), so the vet was right not to mention it. It would have been useless for you.

Really the only way to get your mare cycling earlier at this stage would be to use a protocol using such drugs as Sulpiride or Domperidone which is not 100% reliable and the drugs may not be available to you in Australia. A better bet would have been to put the mare under lights 2-3 months ago.

Essentially, your vet gave the soundest advice at this point - wait and check again.

Rissa
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the feedback Jos,

I was pretty sure from my own 'research' that it was just a waiting game... (horses!) We did consider putting the mare under lights through winter- we have other show horses under lights so she could have easily come in also but considering she wasn't in work and had cycled early in the season the past two years we decided not to worry about it... Probably won't not do it again!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US