SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Kate~ whats going on?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Kate~ whats going on? « Previous Next »

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LONG STORY!
Kate is the mare I just got for hubby to ride. In my other thread I asked about getting her into shape as she was over weight. Well now she has been here a few months and I noticed this am that half of her udder is filling.
I have had her roughly 3 months and when I got her assumed she was a maiden mare as her udder was very small. The people I got her from had her roughly 6 months. They had bought her from a man that had her 3 years.
When I got her from them I noticed she has scarring on her back legs, the owners had no idea about it. So I dug into her past and talked to the other owner who said she had gotten into barbed wire when she was in heat. At the time I didnt think anything of it and didnt ask when. sigh.
So here I am. Kate has one side filling and the fluid is very white, semi sticky. Testing 3&1/2 pads, ph still high.
Other than pregnancy, what could be going on? Suggestions?
The udder is not hot nor sensitive to touch. Both sides have this white milk. And there is quite a bit of it, its very easy to express.

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10-3007.jpg

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10010.jpg

This was when we got her, a before pic:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Horses/8-15-10009.jpg

And I took this today:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10-3006.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10-2011.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10020.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10-3001.jpg

I dont know what to think, does it look like she could be pregnant?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so I had a vet come out. They forgot the cord to the US so they couldnt preform the US, she palpated instead. She told me the mare is not bred. She suspected mastitis... put her on 10 cc pen 1x daily fr 4 days. She told me I should see improvement in 2 days. Told me not to mlk the mare as it wil increase milk production. Well this is day 3 and my mares udder is Bigger not smaller. So I called the vets office, they said milk her udder out.???? Ok now I am so confused! There is no heat in the udder no blood in the milk.

This was her udder the other day:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-19-10010.jpg
And this am:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-22-10011.jpg

I am starting to wonder if the vet could possibly miss a pregnancy????

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely a vet can miss a pregnancy on palpation. It happens ALOT sadly. I personally would demand an US (or even a blood test).

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audrey, thanks for responding!!!
I know they *can * missa pregnancy, but do you think they can miss as late term as she would have to be to producing milk?
I just cant imagine her missing a fetus 9 plus months gestation?

What even odder is that Kates udder is fuller in the am when I check and its down in the evenings, same as a pregnant mares will do!
Either she is bred or her hormones are wacked.
I honestly dont suspect mastitis...

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ABSOLUTELY!!! I've personally known at least 5 or so people who have had VERY late term pregnancies missed on palpation. I do NOT understand how that is possible... but apparently it is.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I will wait and watch. I have one shot left to give of antibiotics.
I guess I can call on Monday to ask the vet again what I can / should do?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All antibiotic shots have been given, still no change in her udder. I am curious, the vet said she could feel both ovaries and hat they felt normal, is this possible? And if so can one feel cysts on the ovaries?

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once the placenta takes over in hormone production the ovaries should feel like anestrus ovaries. As far as the cysts I can't say for sure but I strongly suspect yes.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well new development.....
This am I went out and found this area in front of and between the udder halves... swollen, not hot or hard????? WTHeck?

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-25-10021.jpg

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like edema (well duh, it IS edema as edema only means swelling). I suspect it's usually only seen in pregnant mares, but my non pregnant mare had it... but nowhere near to the extent of that and it came on slowly, not overnight.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/accphotography/Lace/032410/DSCF1022.jpg

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audrey, hmmm, that looks like the front of her udder? did her whole side swell like Kates is doing? Did she get milk?

I took new pics of Kate today, I am really starting to wonder if she is bred, she really has made changes over the last few months.
When I got her she was over weight, but she carried it all over, she was on pasture and got 2 scoops of feed 2 times daily. Since she has been here, I give her 1 scoop of hay replacer, its an 11% protein, 1% fat 27 % fiber. She gets a vitamin mineral supplement on it.
We dont have much of a pasture, but they get high quality hay. I can tell she has lost weight as the fat rolls around her tail head are gone and she has toned up a lot. But suddenly she has this belly that seemed to drop out of no where.

Aug 15th:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Kate/8-15-10009.jpg
Sept 24th:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Kate/9-24-10004.jpg
October 25th:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Kate/10-25-10-2007.jpg

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, i dunno....for a mare who's been on an exercise regimen and a diet since you got her, she's certainly getting a bit of a droop, isn't she? I'm anxious to find out what you find out!

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not really as it's about an inch from her udder and her udder itself is pretty flat. She always carries a little clear fluid but it doesn't change regardless of the swelling. The only place I've seen it swell is where it shows in the photo.

She does look alot larger in the belly in the last pic.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly enough, this am her udder is half the size it was, the swelling in front has all but disappeared.
She still has white milk but the udder itself feels softer.
She even has some giddy up back in her step. She actually trotted out of the paddock to the pasture!
Weird or what??? However this isnt the first time ive seen a pregnant udder all but disappear so I will watch daily ...just to be sure it stays gone!

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-26-10005.jpg

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bingo. You've got the idea. LOL

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udder is back up.Still has mild edema.*Sigh*.Pulling my hair out now....

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ultrasound!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, got a trailer, got a truck, now we need to coordinate times...
Would you go to the same vet or a different one?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i vote different one

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I vote different vet also, lol.
Tonight I will be on chat/ cam watching the Kate, twice today when I went out I caught her with her tail lifted and to the side.... And twice today Austin came in and told me she was laying down.
The front of the other side of her udder is a bit fuller now.
So until I can set up a time to get into the vet she will be on cam...

Yall feel free to come keep me company! www.mysticalmini.net click on Splendor Creek

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link doesn't work or I would!!

I can't wait to hear what the next vet says.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3680
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's www.themysticalmini.net
now ya can!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the vet visit had to wait... I have to go to Jury Duty come Monday.....grrrrr, drats, darn it.

Pam Romjue
Weanling
Username: Pammy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww man - think you could call them and tell them you have a "dr.'s" appointment?????????

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe yes a dr app for my pony :P

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well new update...Kates milk is clear .....

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kates udder is up a bit and her milk is white again.

Pam Romjue
Weanling
Username: Pammy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, she likes to keep you guessing doesn't she?!?!! Have you been able to re-schedule the vet visit?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive decided that she cant be bred. She is acting like she is in heat, backing, winking and peeing to my gelding.
She must just be going boinkers from loosing weight and being around horses.
Ive treated her for mastitis, so unless her udder starts dripping milk, or she decides to grow a decent udder, I guess I will just let it be.
If she continues to do this through the winter and into spring, I may get her looked at.
Or if I just change my mind :P
LOL So fun.....:-)

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say it... but MANY mares still show heat when pregnant. Mine has.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audrey!!! LOL, now I am going to think more....I am ready to pull my hair out lol!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 05:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for goodness sake, get her ultrasounded, and be done with your worry lol

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me about it. I am pretty sure at this point she isnt. However I ordered a wee foal, and its send priority, Should be here soon.
Hey D we were looking for you on your site last night...

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got your message D HAHAHAHAH cant wait to hear the story! LMAO!!
Wee foal should be here Friday or Saturday.....
I will be putting Kate in the stall on cam about 530-600. Yall feel welcome to come and keep me wee watching company.
And dont forget to cross fingers and toes that she is not bred!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wee Foal results are Negative!! Yay, we can ride.
Hopefully what ever is going on will correct its self and come spring she will be back to a more normal state :-)

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this... but, keep a close eye on her regardless.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, Kate is at it again. her udder is back up and producing milk.

I am guessing this IS a hormonal issue. Is there any articles out there that anyone can suggest?

hidden lake stable
Nursing Foal
Username: Hiddenlakestable

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is late, but it might help. I have read that there is a linke between mares having "milk" and chronic uterine infection... you may have her cultured if she ever starts it up again (however, I would think the pen injections would have helped?)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US