SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

INPUT! In foal or just pasture belly?????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » INPUT! In foal or just pasture belly????? « Previous Next »

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock
Username: Starr

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hay yall. Been a wile. Have been very busy around here. So here it is. As you all know Suevannah foaled out last year. I rode her a lot this summer to put her body back in shape. She was looking really good. Well, here it is, in the first week of July she was having a really good heat. She was on the same cycle as a paint mare so both girls are teasing both studs. Not my studs. Suevannah is at a friends house. She was out in pasture all summer long. I found hot wire down a lot this summer with both studs and didn't really think twice about it. No big deal their just studs. Than the paint mare came into heat. I thought well, where is Suevannah???? Never again this summer did I see her in heat. I am asking your opinion. what do you think?

Picture-6-13-2010. She should have been coming in this week.
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww113/tpmining/7-13-2010.jpg

This is from today. 9-15-2010. She lost a shoe so we are in a pen waiting for farrier Would you call this one a pasture belly or in foal belly. This would also be 2nd baby if in foal.
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww113/tpmining/9-15-2010.jpg

Thanks for your input.
Vanessa

hedgerow farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A visual exam is not reliable but I'd guess if you don't want her to be in foal there is a very good chance she is (Murphy's Law). I would have her palpated the next time you have the vet out to your farm or get one of those Wee Test. Not knowing the mare, I'm inclined to lean towards YES but that is just a guess.

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's gained weight. All over. I vote not pregnant.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I realize a visual exam especially with a cell phone camera is not reliable. Thought I would try. Any ways. When she was in heat I was thinking we could breed her again but only to King. He is foundation and I thought they would make a great cross. But, knowing her heat cycle she should have come into heat around the 13th of July and I thought that its too late. I don't want a baby that late in the year. So i was going to wait till next spring. I wrote everything down with her first pregnancy because everyone says a mare will usually do the same thing. so 1. she is not a silent heat mare. 2. she gained a butt load of weight. to the point i had a hard time trimming her feet even in her first trimester. 3. she became very alpha wile in foal. when not in foal she is low on the totem poll.
I know those are not reliable but those are some of the things that happened in her first pregnancy. In her first trimester.
Murphy's Law my a$$. I didn't want a baby this late she better not be in foal. LOL.
I have been teasing her all this week AGAIN thinking maybe her heat cycle is off by a couple of days from the paint mare. the paint mare already had her heat this week. Thursday was her last day. I will continue for two more weeks and if she doesn't show me any thing than I will have her ultra sounded.
One other thing. She has been ridden on a regular basis. If not out trail riding than in the arena. So why she is gaining so much weight is beyond me.

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm. That does sound very suspicious.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, have you ever seen a stud act differentially if mare is in foal? I mean like ANGRY and NASTY??? I have seen it only one time before when one of the mares was in foal and the stud acted like that. I mean I thought the stud was going to break the teasing fence down. That's how nasty he was.

Pam Romjue
Nursing Foal
Username: Pammy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vanessa I am NO expert, but after looking at her and looking at my mare that is in foal she looks to me to have that certain "glow" of a pregnant mare. Just my 2 cents.

hedgerow farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Vanessa
When are you going to get her palpated by a vet (equine)? Stop teasing us. We got to know!!!

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, she said NO NO NO Today!!!! I said YOU BETTER COME IN!!!! I told her that SHE WILL come into heat by next Friday LOL. If she doesn't than I will have my vet out to check her and wait for a baby. Its Kind of exciting but NOT expected.

What does this mean:
Now, have you ever seen a stud act differentially if mare is in foal? I mean like ANGRY and NASTY??? I have seen it only one time before when one of the mares was in foal and the stud acted like that. I mean I thought the stud was going to break the teasing fence down. That's how nasty he was.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh and one more thing. Please say a prayer that she comes into heat. Hopefully she isnt coming into heat because its getting cold and shorter days. Keeping fingers crossed she is open.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, teased again today and Suevannah seemed really annoyed. She was trying to bite stud and push me out of the way and it was like she was literally shaking her head NO at him. It could have also been because she has really long hair and she was trying to get it out of her eyes. Maybe. My husband sais she is showing all classical signs of in foal but I don't want to except it. Its not that I don't want to except it, its just I don't want a foal born this late. She is known for backing up to the fence to get bred. he saw her do it when she was two before she was given to us and he had to get stud away. With the hot wire connected. I don't know how that's possible, but I guess it happened. Either way I will be happy with the results but relieved if itís a NO. I would rather breed her next spring like I planned.OH the waiting!!! October 1st will be the last day of checking if she doesnít come in before than.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teased again for two days and we have had VERY nice sunny weather. Warm this week. Paint mare was up teasing studs yesterday and so I brought Suevannah up and teased her and she is OPEN. Not sure if she is going out or coming in but I really dont care. Thank goodness she is open. Now I can thik about who to breed her too next spring.

Pam Romjue
Nursing Foal
Username: Pammy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad it turned out the way you wanted!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US