SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Where do they show first?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Where do they show first? « Previous Next »

Kate Goshorn
Neonate
Username: Kateg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, first mare in foal ever, and a paranoid mom. So please bear with me. When does a mare start to look pregnant? She is Dutch WB, 16.2 bred to a WB, 17.2 stallion. Tess, my mare, is a maiden, so I am not sure when she will start to "show". She is 137 days. The barn manager where I board thinks she is starting to look pregnant, but I am not seeing it. She has looked pregnant to me before in years past when she was just summer fat. So what exactly am I looking for? The barn manager showed me what she is seeing, but I am not convinced. I am assuming Tess is still preg. but have not had an ultrasound/palp done since 33 days. I was advised to minimize paplations unless necessary by the vet. Next one, and probably the last one, will be Oct. to confirm for the stallion owner, and registration. So assuming she is still pregnant, should she be starting to show and if so, what would I been looking for to confirm?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate,
Usually to me, and each mare is different, each pregnancy, I see them start to get fuller looking in the barrel. Some maidens seem to blossom right ut and other hide it for a long time. My mare as a maiden seemed ready to pop early on and with her 2nd I wasnt convinced she was bred until she was confirmed in foal by a wee foal. And of course, a week later she started to show:-)
Towards the end you start to see a lopsided egg shape effect, as well as this shape underneath that is visible from straight on side view.
We would love to see pictures of your mare:-)

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock
Username: Bhindes

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kate,

My mare is currently 125 days and pregnant with her 5th foal. She started looking pregnant when she was 1 1/2 months along with this foal. Her last foal you could see the difference at 2 1/2 months. She just looks fuller in the flanks and barrel. Each and evry mare is different. Please post pics of you mare as we would love to see her.

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holly and Brittany, Thanks for the response. I do think she is looking fuller in the barrel area. And I think I am starting to see a bit of a drop in her belly towards the rear. Hard to say though since I see her everyday.
I will try and get some pix this week and post them. I do also think I will order a Wee foal just to put my mind at ease. My husband is going to laugh his butt off when I tell him I have to stand around waiting to Tess to pee. I will try shavings, but anyone have any other tricks?

sara Zwerk
Neonate
Username: Sznanners

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am actually having the same issue...trying to get my mare to pee in a cup was not working! Someone suggested to me that I tie nylons on to her blanket with a sponge inside of the nylons. when she does go, ring it out. I am waiting for my wee foal kit to get here before I try it but it sure sounds better to me that chasing her around waiting for her to pee! Good luck to you

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used wee foal many times, and when I collect I just stall the mare and wait. I have waited 15 minutes and I have waited 4 hours. Bring a chair and a good book, and a clean dry mason jar, when she starts to pee stick it under the stream. You dont need a whole lot just an ounce is fine. (wear gloves lol) When I go out to collect the pee I set the wee foal on the counter, when I am done collecting the test is usually at room temp the urine cools quickly and test is ready.
I have used other methods to collect, but have had false positive results, not sure if it was related to collection or not. I had used a paper towel in a cup and a pad taped to her backside. So now I prefer to collect straight from the stream that way I know nothing is interfering with the results.

I to am ordering a wee foal today and checking my new miniature mare as soon as it gets here. :-)

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well finally got pix to share of Tess. I counted wrong and she is actually 137 days today. So I was just a few off. My husband went to take pix with me and even he commented on her belly. But I do have a big concern as she had some dried yellow crusties on her legs, just a few small spots, and when I looked at her vulva there was more. I am hoping it is just dried urine but it put my heart in my throat. The barn manager is going to recheck her tomorrow and if there is a concern the vet will be called. Fingers double crossed.

Let me know what you think of the photos.

[IMG]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/Openjumper/DSC_0518.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/Openjumper/DSC_0515.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/Openjumper/DSC_0514.jpg[/IMG]

Let me know if these photos don't come through, I am new to Photobucket.

Also Sara, I love the nylon idea. If you do it that way, that may be worth a pix.

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kate,

Your mare is such a beauty. Who is she bred to? Hope everything is ok with her pregnancy. Wishing you luck on a successful foal.

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brittany, Tess is in foal to Soprano, an oldenburg stallion out of Maryland. We are all very excited about this cross. I am going to post the link to his web page on the 2011 foal watch. I saw your mare and stallion, and wow, you must be so excited. That should be a spectacular foal. Tess is also due in March.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate, I think I see the tiniest of bellies starting there!! She is a beautiful mare and the stallion is fantastic!

Katie is about 132 days and here is her tummy pic, this is her 3rd foal:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/Katie%20foal%202011/8-27-10katie 013.jpg

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Holly, I think I am staring to see the belly too. The pix of Tess is not the best, husband was holding, but she is indeed a beautiful mare, thank you. And I think Soprano is fantastic as well.

I think your mare's belly is on track with what I am seeing in Tess. So we both be spending many sleepless nights in March/April.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes lots of us will be!
Hey, Do you have a barn camera? I have Katie on Dianas web site on stream. Its an awesome tool to have in foaling out a mare, and it dosent cost a whole lot to get it up on line!
If you need more info just let me know, or ask diana. I would have missed my shetland mare foaling had the cam not been up!

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kate,

The stallion sure is a looker and so is the mare. These two should have a stunning foal for you. Looks like we will be on foal watch together as my mare is due in March too.

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare got a bump at about 3 months along that has since gotten so big it has blended in with the rest of her growing belly, but I can still feel it.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/accphotography/Lace/DSCF2318.jpg

She's much rounder through the whole barrel and her flank has filled in as opposed to the dipping in it used to do. She also seems lower in the belly now (at 4.5 months).

I've been using a weight tape on her belly (and I check her girth to make sure she's not just gaining everywhere too) and she's gone up several inches in the biggest part of her barrel and even more around her flank. The flank is where it's really showing on mine.

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a pic of my mare taken today. She is 4 1/2 months.

http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/bhindes/Sierra%20Sept%206%202010/?action =view&current=004-Copy-Copy.jpg

http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/bhindes/Sierra%20Sept%206%202010/?action =view&current=009-Copy-Copy.jpg

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, now I see what I should be looking for on my mare, and I am finally seeing it. Just to be on the safe side the vet will be here Thurs. to palpate and do Tess's 5 mo Rhino. I don't doubt it will be good news.

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, good news, Tess is indeed still pregnant. The count down begins-189 days (give or take 30-40) to go!

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great news. Sounds like your mare is due right around the same time as mine. Please post pics when she foals. We all would love to see the cute baby.

Kate Goshorn
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US