SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Do you think my mare is pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Do you think my mare is pregnant? « Previous Next »

Sarah S
Neonate
Username: Sarah928

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just recently my mares udders got a little bigger. Before one of her teets was flat but not anymore. We never put her with a stallion but there was one next door to us and they could have maybe bred through the barbed wire fence. Her belly is big but i dont know if she is just fat or not. Here are some pictures of her that i took today 7-21-2010

Belly -
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07211538.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07211529_1.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07211527.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07201440.jpg

Udders-
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07211527_2.jpg

liquid in udders-
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07211627.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/sarahs_2011/Photo07211623.jpg
}

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would keep an eye on her - any idea when her last cycle was? That my help give you an idea of when to expect your bundle of joy.

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok...no i dont know when her last cycle was, the only time i see her open and close her vulva is when she was by the stallion. (But now i will pay more attention) other than that i havent seen anything. What is the earliest a mares milk bag will start to fill?

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't go by me - my mares bagged up about 4 months prior to giving birth. We thought she was going to go in March - ended up going on June 11th.

Here is Rascal at 2 days -
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/cmondry01/Rascalgoingforadrink6-14-10. jpg[/IMG]

This one is from yesterday - he is 6 weeks old now and just starting to shed his foal coat.

[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/cmondry01/Rascal7-21-10.jpg[/IMG]

May be liver - not sure....

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay.... those are cute pictures.. i am writing every little change in her down... i dont know if she is pregnant or not but if she is then i want to do what i can to keep her safe and healthy. thanks for your help.

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You bet - I took pictures each week of her udder, backside and stomach views just to be sure I wasn't looking for things that weren't there. Since I board her an hour away from home, it was easy to miss any changes. As it happened, Rascal was born the morning I left for a trip. My daughter actually discovered him in the stall. He was only a couple hours old...Some mares - like mine show very little sign on impending delivery other than a larger than life udder. You may want to have her checked just to ease your mind and to get some idea of when you may expect your little one.

Pam Romjue
Yearling
Username: Pammysue

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheryl he's getting so big!!! He is so handsome! Can't wait to see what color he is when he sheds out!!!!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't say when this might have happened, so no one on here would be able to say based on those pictures. If this happened last year nothing in any of your pictures says bred to me. The only way to know for sure would have her vet checked.

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly don't know when it could have happened. Our neighbors put the stallion next door only about 3 months ago.. and she did hang out at the fence with him alot. I dont know if she is just fat or not. There have been several different horses next door but i dont know if any of them were studs. Her teats today were really puffy. They feel more puffy today than they did yesterday. Its really confusing because she has a big belly and her udders are bigger and teats are puffy with a yellowish liquid in them, but the only stallion that has been around was one on the other side of the fence.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she is only 3 months than she wouldnt be showing yet. Mares typically have slight udder changes during their cycle. Its also common for mares to have that fluid in there, year round.
Has she had a foal before?
I would either do an at home wee foal test to see or have the vet evaluate her.

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont know if she has had a foal before or not, we got her a little over a year ago.

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah - here is a picture of my mare (the chestnut) from November of last year - she is 5 months pregnant here. She actually carried 12 months this time which is little longer than her first (but that was 15 years ago) I could tell she was pregnant at 3 months but no one else could. I just know my mare - had her for 16 years - she just turned 21 in March.

[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/cmondry01/Star-November2009.jpg[/IMG]

I think having your mare checked would definately make you feel better. Good luck - keep us posted.

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she kinda looks like a bigger version of my mare (MaryJane). Do you know how much it might cost to get her checked?

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well she is still big and so are her udders but it dont really matter anymore because my brother decided that he wanted to sell her to buy stuff for his truck.... :-(

Cheryl Mondry
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - what a bummer - I wish I were closer, I would buy her from you.

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya..its sad, im gonna miss staring at her belly... even if it is for no reason..

Sarah S
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well now she has a hock injury... just last night she was barely limping and i just thought she had something in her foot, well nothing was in there... so today when i went to check on her, her hock was swollen and she cant stretch her leg out or put her foot flat..she can barely walk and when she tries she has to walk tippy toe. I have no idea what happened.

kelly roberts
Neonate
Username: Kelly40

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

today i was cleaaning one of my friends horses teats and the mare squirted out milk.do you think she might be pregnat?my friend got this mare about 5 months ago, but the mare had her 2 year old colt by her side.do you think that he may have got her pregnat?or do i need to worry since she has milk? the mare was fat when she bought her

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already commented in the other location where you posted this, but you offer more information here.

As I noted previously, fat mares are more likely to have milk if not pregnant, but the fact that she was running with a 2 year old colt adds a whole new aspect to things. Yes, it is very possible she could be pregnant! You should have her checked by a veterinarian experienced in equine reproduction.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US