SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare pregnant or? milk?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Mare pregnant or? milk? « Previous Next »

Jule
Neonate
Username: Msmares4

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long story short! We got a new mare about 3 months ago, and she's older, 25. She has had foals before. I have read all the discussions about witch's milk/fluid being in some older mares all the time. A few yrs ago, being new to foaling, we had a mare foal and she didn't look pregant. This current mare is starting a small bag, and so we have been testing it. The "fluid" is extremely sticky and honey colored, she is also producing a little "white" milk that mixes with it. We tested this and is very high in calcium and the ph is 7 or below. In contrast, our other two mares (not preg but foaled before)who we also tested, had watery, skim milk type stuff in udder, and they were way basic...so- is she pregnant or is it hormones. She has a weird shape she has had since she came, kind of football shaped, and was low in weight, but her stomach seems to be about the same. She has been wormed. Does colostrum only come in if they are pregnant?Is it only amber and sticky? Or otherwise if it is diet induced only white milky? thanks for any comments...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3526
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Julie, do you have any pics of the mare you can post? Typically, in prego mares, when the milk calcium tests over 300, and the ph falls below 7, you'll have a foal in 24 hrs....I'd assume if you don't have one very soon, that she's not prego.

Shari Chubaty
Neonate
Username: Springbank

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems I am not alone in the "Is she pregnant or no?" debate! We bought a mini mare on june 19, who appeared to be very pregnant- did some background on her, and she was with a stud from early July to October of last year. The previous year she was with another stallion, but never foaled. She had her first (and only) foal at least 3 years ago. To me she LOOKS pregnant, full in the flanks, wide, large milk vein, bit of a bag, relaxed vulva, bit of a V belly and she IS producing some fluid from her teats. (Will she do this after only one foal so long ago, and still not be pregnant?)Not knowing a due date, and the information I'm gleaning on mini mares, they can trick you and mess with you like no other. I have asked our vet to palpate, or ultrasound, and she won't on a mini.(she was out the other day for a cow, looked her over, did some feeling around, and said her best guess is pregnant, but "I'm no horse vet" so not to go by that.) (Thanks!) Phoned around, none of our other area vets want to either. She has been beside our stallion since she came home, and now is in with him, and HATES him.She has not shown signs of heat yet, even to her regular gelding pal. The kicker is, the first stallion she was with at the breeders, apparently beat her up and she now hates other horses. The only one we've seen her "hate" is the stallion Thoughts?Suggestions? I have been checking her nightly, (just got in from my last check) and I think I'm seeing changes, but...............I have many years of experience with foaling regular mares, but we knew dates and had ultrasounds, and being new to minis, and just NOW learning of all the foaling issues they can have, I'm getting a bit jumpy! I also have experience palpating the mares- should I do it myself, or does this stress them like crazy as I've been told? All the breeders in our province that I've talked to tell me that they have a wait and see policy. Help!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US