SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare possibly pregnant - just weaned from yearling foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Mare possibly pregnant - just weaned from yearling foal « Previous Next »

Jen
Nursing Foal
Username: Mini_love

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a mini mare back from her owner that is 6 years old. In that time period she had 1 foal when she was here for me when she was 2 (bought her bred) and two foals for her new owner.
Last year she had a filly and the filly has been breaking the fence down (along with her mother) to nurse. So this mare had a huge tight bag when she arrived yesterday obviously from the nursing foal (who did not come with her-she is totally alone now since yesterday).
What concerns me, is she was bred by a yearling colt (which I am aware is most likely not fertile-but he got her and knew his job!).
How do I know if she is in foal by her udder if she just got weaned off her yearling filly? It went down a bit this morning.
She seems just a tad overweight but her previous owner swears she looks in foal to her. I am pretty convinced that she is not-if she is she would be due end of July-Aug. The only things making me think there is a small chance is that she is moody as heck and swishing her tail and kicking at my hand if I try to feel her belly. (she yawns the whole time too).
Also I am aware that colostrum could be lost and her overall condition affected from a foal nursing this far into a pregnancy, (however I am pretty convinced she is just fat) I am just glad I got her off the ignorant woman who just let her breed to anything!
Vet check will be done, my vet takes forever to return calls.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3519
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"which I am aware is most likely not fertile"...
horses can breed and ARE fertile beyond 8 or 9 months!
You cannot tell by her udder if you just pulled a foal off her. Her milk will still test high for calcium, and it probably looks like an 'about to foal' udder.
She is going to be moody, as her udder is not stretched TIGHT, and no foal to relieve the pressure...this will often cause them to be moody and objectionable to you touching her belly.

I think the only way to tell is to have the vet visit. If she'd be due in July, you should have good foal movement by now. Watch her while she's eating for movement....other than that, just ask the vet.
If she is bred, and due soon, you will need to buy Seramune to replace colostrum.

Jen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I know he CAN be fertile, but chances are lower than a two or three year old obviously.
I have seen and heard gas but nothing that qualifies as foal movement. She is not upset about me touching her udder, only her belly and it seems to be in the spot that a foal would be sitting. Her sides are flat and she doesn't look dropped enough to have a slab sided look if she was indeed in foal and preparing to deliver. Her demeanor is just weird, hanging in the barn and irritated as heck when I fuss with her, even grooming annoys her. Ahh mares...sigh

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen, can you post a pic of your mare? My mini mare didnt get big at all this year and she didnt drop either so its possilbe she could be bred and if she was still nursing her other foal she just might not be big because the other foal was taking alot from her..
My stud also bred my mare in 2008 and was only 1 1/2 years old and the mare produced a colt last year. So who knows. Please let us know what happens... Good luck.

Jen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My camera is having trouble with outside pics but I have video and one pic I can post...bad angle on the pic!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/thymes75/horses/DALLY_July5_2010093.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MPbwk30FJc

Jen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f5A8Iyr_R4

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think so Jen, she doesnt look close to foaling to me. If she is bred she isnt very far along.Just my HO.

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She dont look in foal to me niether but like Holly said she might not be that far along if she is. She sure is a cutie though. I love her color.

Jen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I kind of figured. But we shall see. Now that she is getting more food she might fatten even more, then I will definitely think she is in foal! LOL

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is always wee foal to check her if you dont want to go the vet route.:-)

Jen
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking about it...do mares have milk veins even when they are nursing and done nursing? She still has thick white milk and was done with her last foal last Wednesday.
And her butt muscles are LOOSE. I swear I felt a thump today.

Jen
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind, previous owner just found paperwork and the stud was sold in June..so not pregnant!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US