SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Maiden mare « Previous Next »

Amber Ackerman
Neonate
Username: Sunsetv

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay so I have an 11 year-old quarter horse cross mare, who up until this year as far as we knew never came into heat. In march she came in and went out and then on April 19th we put her with a stallion, they were seen breeding at least 3 or more times a day for a week. We brought her home. I'm not sure what changes a mare shows this early on, but her bag does seem just barely slightly larger. She is in with a very studly gelding. He is a pony and knew when the mares are in heat. He hasn't nor has she acted like she is in heat since then. Until last Saturday afternoon, but it was only for that one afternoon, not sure if she was showing. Also another mare was in heat and been taken out to go with the stud. Today should be about day 50. Yesterday I used this pregnancy test to see if she was pregnant. It said negative. I haven't had a vet out yet to look at her, do to a family emergency that drained my money, but I will get a vet out later this summer. Any ideas or advice? Should I put her back with the stallion? Would she be showing any signs this early? Could she have even gotten pregnant from her very first breeding?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have several issues with this. LOL (sorry)
First of all, the only changes a mare will show this early on is not returning to heat. Housing her with a gelding will not tell you if she's come back into heat, unless she happens to be one of those that shows to everything in site.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "he hasn't nor has she acted like she is in heat since then. Until last Saturday afternoon, but it was only for that one afternoon, not sure if she was showing."...Which one of them was acting as if she was in heat? What exactly was going on?

I have never used this pregnancy test, but to me it seems pretty complicated judging by the directions on the manufacturers site....I'd think it much easier to do a WeeFoal or a simple UltraSound. If your other mare is off at the breeder, and you're unsure about this one's status, perhaps the breeder will allow you to try teasing her to the stallion?
According to my calculations, If her last breed date was around april 26th....I don't beleive she'd be back in heat during the time period of last saturday. I wouldn't think she'd come back in until around the 14th-17th of this month.

Amber Ackerman
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me clarify, the gelding is very studly and actually knows when the mares are in heat and tries to breed them. He's odd, but if a gelding unless he has one inside. her last breed date was about the 23rd of April. Like I said she never showed any signs of heat until this year. She is staying with a friend who said she hasn't shown any signs since returning from her week trip to the stallion (the owner is not a breeder any more except to a very few people/mares). Well when I got to the barn on Saturday Traveler(the gelding) was mounting her and trying to breed her, but other then that she hasn't shown any signs. Like I said in my first post Traveler may just have been doing that because Ginger(the other mare) was in heat and had left the day before to go to the stallion.

Can I use a WeeFoal yet? Have to wait until I have money to do an ultrasound. I will probably take her to Backer(the stallion) next time I get out there.

(Message edited by sunsetv on June 12, 2010)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wee foal does have a new test that you can use at day 38.....so you might check it out. Many of my mares will stand while the stallion tries to mount them, and the second he starts to get serious, they kick the crap out of him LOL...Did she fight him at all?

Amber Ackerman
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you have to use urine for that one? How you go about getting that?

I was a ways away and all I saw was him up, I looked away for a moment and then saw them grazing like nothing had happened. So I have no idea.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you need urine. If you can put fresh bedding in a stall, then let her in, the first thing she'll do is pee LOL. Just sop it up with a paper towel or maxi pad. My horses always pee when they see me heading to the barn to feed too, or right before being let out in the morning. It doesnt' have to be clean...just has to be enough

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amber, I was looking and if your mare bred back in April, then she should of came back in, in May. My mini mare cyles every 18 days. I know every mare is different but I just dont see her going from April to june to come back in.. She could be pregnant and if I were you, I would get the weefoal like Diana mentioned..
Good luck.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive used pregna mare tests before, and they are accurate but very hard to read. One mare showed pregnant clearly and she was the other showed pregnant not clearly and wasnt.
If at all possible collect the urine into a clean cup for the wee foal test. The directions say that a wee bit of dirt wont hurt, but bacteria can alter the results (per manufacturer) and can cause false results.
I usually grab a clean mason jar and a chair and a good book. Stall her and wait. As soon as she starts to pee collect a few ounces. Be sure to test when both urine and test are at room temp.

Amber Ackerman
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with stalling it that there is not stall for me to put her in. I think I may have messed up the pregna test tho because I put it back in the fridge while testing because I didn't see the part about how it work best if done at body temp. So anyone got any other ideas on urine catching methods?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, tape a maxi pad to her backside LOL...there are numerous suggestions on www.weefoal.com on collecting... hopefully some of them will work for you

Amber Ackerman
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any suggestions. the only thing I see is them telling you to ask your vet

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3488
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.foalguard.com/urinecollection.htm

Amber Ackerman
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also I was just looking around this site and saw that you shouldn't vaccinate or deworm for the first 60 days, but um I vaccinated her at about day 3 and then again 5 weeks later. I also dewormed her this past Friday. Could that have caused her to abort??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US