SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Implantation

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Implantation « Previous Next »

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When does "implantation" (not "fixation) occur? Can mares "delay implantation" like other species can?

Thanks!

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Neonate
Username: Jmshowhorses

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am wandering the exact same thing! I just got back from having a 3 yr. old mare bred, and was wandering when to put her back in training? Worried to touch her right now, afraid of stopping implantation! I am DEFINATELY a trainer, and NOT a breeder. She is such a nice mare, and I DON'T want to make that trip to the stallion again is all I know!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The process of "implantation" is somewhat different in the equine, as you obviously are aware by your reference to the differentiation between fixation and implantation. FYI, fixation of the conceptus (when it ceases movement around the uterus) occurs about 16 days after fertilization.

It can be a little difficult to specifically define "implantation" in the equine though. In other species, implantation is typically considered to be occurring when the placenta starts to form and invade the lining of the uterus (the endometrium. Certainly we can use that time line as a definition for implantation with the equine, and if we do, the formation of the placenta starts around 40-45 days after fertilization. It is not finished in the equine until around 140 days of pregnancy.

The complication in the equine arises if we take the definition of "implantation" to mean the first invasion of the endometrium by a structure related to pregnancy, because around day 36 in the mare, some structures not specifically related to the placenta are formed that invade the endometrium. These are the endometrial cups, which through eCG (equine chorionic gonadotropin encourage formation of secondary CL's. One could therefore argue that implantation occurs in the mare around 36 days!

The safest thing to do is to either specify what definition one is using, or else give a general range - i.e. observe that implantation is initiated somewhere between 36 and 45 days in the equine.

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Than in your opinion does a week of rest after breeding even make a difference in her keeping the pregnancy , or not? I was just wanting to put her back on her regular training schedule, wich is (not to vigorous, for my WP colts)light riding, several times daily. I have been told by the breeder, not to work her for a week until the egg implants in the uterus... Shows you what I know about equine reproduction. I'm glad I got on this website, I have heard clients talking about it for years!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot will depend upon the ambient temperature.

Research done a few years ago at Texas A&M found that mares that continued work after breeding had about 50% the pregnancy rate when checked at 30 days compared to those checked at the same stage that ceased to work after being bred. The research was done in July and August at College Station, TX, and the conclusion drawn was that during those months, with a high ambient temperature, the mares that continued being worked increased their core temperatures to a point that caused embryonic death in a significant portion of them. In other words, if the weather is hot and the mare continues to be worked, there is a potential risk to pregnancy maintenance. It should be noted that the amount of work was not extreme - they were being walked, jogged and loped on an exerciser.

We know that overheating the conceptus under the microscope when performing embryo transfer has a negative effect on pregnancy maintenance, so it does seem not unreasonable that a similar effect would be seen in utero as well.

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, I wish I hadn't of bred this amazing mare. Why didn't I talk to you first, and went with the regumate this show season? I am going to be SO paranoid to work her... at all! Thanks For the advice, & knowledge.

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a bunch Jos! I'm still wondering if delayed implantation can happen or if that invasion will always occur at the 40-45 day mark?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the best of my knowledge, delayed implantation has not been identified in the equine.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US