SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Behavior Changes in Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Behavior Changes in Mare « Previous Next »

Danielle Henry
Neonate
Username: Dressagemama

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 5 year old mare who has begun sporatically kicking and squealing around the time I believe she is ovulating. This behavior is frequently accompanied by her looking back at her flank with an annoyed or somewhat angry looking expression. She has also become increasingly uncooperative under saddle, sensitive to touch along her sides, and generally more nervous. She was really a calm and level-headed young lady before but she has changed a lot in the past 8 months. Anyone dealt with something like this before? Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how to rule or not rule out hormones. If she changes back to a level headed sweet mare on Regumate.. hormone fluxuations are the problem. I had a mare around 6 yrs. old that would fall to the ground when you tacked her up while she was in heat she would get so sensitive and body sore. She was exceptional any other time. Those hormones can do crazy things! Hang in there!

Paige D
Yearling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, if the Regumate doesn't work, you might want to have the vet check and make sure she doesn't have a cyst on one of her ovaries. Her behaviour sounds a lot like a mare I used to know that had a cyst on one of hers. But definitely try the Regumate first.

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Neonate
Username: Jmshowhorses

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from having a very nice mare of mine I am training as a AQHA Junior Western Pleasure prospect..BRED, for the very same reason? I hope she dosen't have a cyst! She is a three year old though?? It had picked up over the last few months, just during when I think, she should be ovulating... Like she would have an imaginary horsefly on her flank area. (AND NOT JUST WHEN I WAS AROUND, IN THE STALL,OR ARENA I WOULD SPY ON HER.)I was going to try Regumate, but I figured I would just have her bred. We will see if she took in a week or so I guess?

Danielle Henry
Neonate
Username: Dressagemama

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to those who have responded!

I've done some reading on equine estrous since my post and have to make a correction to what I previously thought to be true. I believe the kicking and squealing was actually going on nearing the end of the diestrus phase of her cycle or at the onset of estrous. My notes from last month are not as detailed as they should be but I have her down as kicking and squealing on April 19th, tail raising and winking on April 26, and back to her calmer self by April 30th.

I had decided to watch her much more closely this month and take better notes but, ODDLY, she has shown none of the previously noted disruptive behavior or any obvious signs of estrous at all this month. May 10th marked 21 days since her last disruptive episode and May 17th will be 21 days since she last appeared receptive.

I understand that hormones run high in the Spring and that could potentially explain a strong behavioral reaction and then a leveling off so to speak. However, she cycled all winter (Ohio) and displayed this kicking and squealing on and off. The big difference between her winter and spring cycles is that the estrous seems to be stronger and she is obviously receptive to breeding.

I have read that when one of a mare's ovaries becomes enlarged or abnormal, it is possible for the second ovary to reduce in size and become more or less dormant. Can anyone give me an experienced or educated opinion on this?

I apologize for the length of this post. I have dealt almost exclusively with geldings in the past and this has become quite the educational experience for me. I can't believe how complicated that little mare of mine really is!

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean Dannielle! I love showing good old geldings1 I have never had a mare that is SO affected by her cycling as LUV MY PIZZAZZ! No matter how much training I can't make her put her ears up when she is having a horse pass her in a class! I hope being bred helps?

WSTRNPLEASUREPAINTS
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my mare live covered on the 4th, and 5th night of her standing , "squating heat. That was the 14th, and 15th. She appeared like she just went out ALL AT ONCE on the 16th. BUT today, she seems like she is in the strongest point of her estrus I have ever seen her??? Is that normal, and do you think she is settled? Or should I make the "LONG HAUL", and cover her 1 more time tomorrow? She is normally, so NORMAL, and average, and ALWAYS the same with her cycling, and she should, and would "NORMALLY" be OUT today. Any suggestions from some seasoned breeders?

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering how late in their cycle mares ovulate, I would personally breed her (every other day) until she won't stand any longer.

Paige D
Yearling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old rule of thumb I was taught (ages ago) was to cover them on the 5th, 7th and 9th days of their heat. 'Course, things might've changed in the last decade or so. (Anyone, please correct me if the "protocol" has changed.)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my mini mares, I breed them on 4, 6, and 8 if they are still in....usually they are not.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US