SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Will she hang on that long or am I wasting everyone's time??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Will she hang on that long or am I wasting everyone's time?? « Previous Next »

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is at a 49 at 3PM today (May 3), no bookings open until Wednesday.. very busy stallion. Should I book her anyways or is there no way she will hold off that long to ovulate?? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, they let me book a 6 PM for today... she is still teasing this morning, what are the chances she would go out of heat on me in the next 6 hours? Thanks!

Paige D
Yearling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my mare bred via AI, and her follicle was huge the day before the semen was to arrive. The vet said that even if she ovulated the next morning before insemination, you usually have an hour or two window to catch the follicle before it passes too far through the cycle. Hope this helps with your stress... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a marked increase in early embryonic death and a decrease in pregnancy establishment in mares that are bred >12 hours post-ovulation. A less-pronounced effect can be seen in mares bred >6 <12 hours post-ovulation.

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't get this in time and I went ahead and bred her. It had been 26 1/2 hrs. since she measured a 49 until she actually bred. She stepped off the trailer breaking down and could hardly get into the breeding shed she was so hot. I know mares can still tease after ovulation, but she couldn't have looked anymore ready if that's all you had to go by. Hope it works out... does this mean if her embryo dies early that she will take forever to cycle normally again? Like mares do when they absorb? (Which I may be answering my own question here, obviously she would be absorbing if an embryo dies no matter how early on... looking for hope, ugh!)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares don't "absorb" pregnancies. All particulate matter of pregnancies are lost through the cervix, but may be so small as to not be identified.

An EED may delay the return to estrus by a few days, depending upon when exactly the pregnancy is lost. Typically however there is not a huge delay. In rare cases though - especially if the loss occurs towards the end of the EE period (>28 <35 days) there may be a significant delay. This is as a result of the formation of the endometrial cups and secretion of eCG.

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, thank you very much for informing me about EED. I was misinformed until now. "Absorbed" is a common misconception in these parts (Ocala). The term kind of lumped all of these possibilities into one word and now I have a better understanding of several different possible scenarios. I'll just have to wait and see! Many thanks to you Jos, you run a great board here! Glad to have found it!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US