SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Effects of ventral edema on milk production

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Effects of ventral edema on milk production « Previous Next »

Paige D
Weanling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I have a question about my mare. Her "due" date is the 28th of this month. She began bagging up about a month ago, but soon after developed some edema in and around her udders. It was a very small amount, and taking her for walks helped to bring it down. A couple weeks ago, the edema swelling increased significantly, to where she almost looks entirely bagged up. Then about a week ago, the edema developed in 2 large grooves all the way down the side/bottom of her belly and all the way up to inbetween her front legs. No amount of walking has been able to alleviate the volume. I've tried giving her banamine, but it seems to have little or no effect.
I've tested her udder secretions to help predict foaling periodically over the last couple weeks. A little over a week ago, the fluid expressed turned from light yellow to a skim milk color and consistency. I did not test her for several days last week since I worried that taking a sample every evening might be causing her to actually start producing milk. I tested this past Friday, then again Sunday evening. The fluid still looks like skim milk, with the same consistency and opacity. Would the large amount of edema in her udders cause the fluid expressed to look like this, or is she actually starting to produce milk in preparation for foaling? The test strips I have say her calcium is over 250, and the pH last night tested at 7.2. However, the calcium has been reading the same for over a week now, but the pH was much higher. Any advice or insight anyone can give is much appreciated. Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The edema will have no impact on milk quality or production. Similarly, as long as you are milking only a few drops out for evaluation, milking a little each night will not stimulate milk production. From your description it sounds as though she is likely an older mare following the normal progression towards foaling.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2682
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paige, My mare developed that same edema through her last 6 weeks of pregnancy. I would turn her out with an older mare friend to at least have her move as much as possible and I would pony her for a 30 minute walk every day....it is hard to see them so uncomfortable but my mare was older...18...

Paige D
Weanling
Username: Realrush89

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Jos! I know she's a multipara mare, but unsure exactly how many she's had, and this is my first ever foal, period.

Jan, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I can't turn her out in the pasture as everything is fescue. She does have a small drylot paddock and part of the barn aisle to move around in, but lately she's not moving around as much. I assume it's because she's so big and uncomfortable. This is why I was taking her for walks every day after work. Then the edema ballooned up, and even 45 min-1 hour walks does nothing to reduce any of it. Just wish she would go ahead and spit the little bugger out and let me quit worrying!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US