SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Vitamin A deficiency in horses, esp. pregnant mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Vitamin A deficiency in horses, esp. pregnant mares « Previous Next »

Sora
Weanling
Username: Sora

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been in here in awhile, but I thought this would be interesting to see if other people have encountered this. I am by no means a big breeder and have only bred three horses, number four on the way. I think I've done a pretty good job as I got my first one to GP dressage.

Anyway, I had to start all over three years ago and bought a fabulous Swedish mare who was 8 and greenbroke for riding. But, she was so fabulous, I bred her. She is a dark bay,but her coat always changed color, and after I bred her it was almost buckskin brown and rough. Her mane and tail were a bit brittle, too. I fed her all the usual stuff and she seemed fine. My vet, who is an old friend and a fabulous repro. person, if a bit over paranoid, kept bugging me about her coat. She insisted on doing a blood panel, which came back low in vitamin E and selenium, but she she wasn't happy with that. She insisted on doing a check for vitamin A, which even her associate had never heard of doing on horses. It's so rarely done, it has to be sent to a special lab. It came back massively low.

At this time, it was spring, the hay was not great, and all of the horses at the barn were eating their own poop and rubbing tails. (I won't even get into fighting with barn owners about feeding.) The barn owner coincidentally had a mare due the same day as mine, the next spring.

Even my vet did not know what to do. I looked all over the internet and it was hard to find anything on vitamin A deficiency. Mostly it was overdosing on it, as it is a fact soluble vitamin. I finally got some information on it that is particularly important to mares. Quality of hay tends to drop in winter and spring, when the hay is older, and broodmares and weanlings become deficient and should be supplemented.

I always fed my mare a regular supplement, but since this, I got people vitamin A and fed her the pills, about 50,000 AU a day. Initially I gave her about 150,000 when she was deficient. After supplementing her with A, within weeks her coat was shiny and back to gorgeous. I kept her on it all through the baby and weaning, and since she is now pregnant again, and still supplementing her.

Very interestingly, I heard the barn owner's mare (I moved barns) had a her foal, which died. She though my vet friend was too much into doing extra tests. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.

Had anyone ever looked into this? I talked to someone who did a lot of breeding and sent her the info. but no one I know has. It sure seems to be something that a breeder should look into.

Michelle Z
Nursing Foal
Username: Iberianmareinri

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sora,
my mare is on HORSEGUARD and it has 400,000 IU of Vitamin A per lb fed and 4,000 IU of Vit E per lb fed with organic selenium @ 24mg per lb fed...

It has other vit and minerals and is cost effective at feeding 2 oz a day.

check it out at www.horseguard.com

NOT SOLD IN TACK/FEED STORES FYI

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US