SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Molly Mule Questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Molly Mule Questions « Previous Next »

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Molly turned 1 this past October. I am trying to find out about mule heat cycles. I understand that the majority of mules are thought to be sterile, but do they still cycle? What age do most fillys start to display estrus?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 882
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Holly, we have two molly mules. Yes, mules do apparently still cycle, even though they are sterile (I think that has something to do with an uneven amount of chromosomes?). Though I've never seen on in heat, so I assume most just have silent heats. I actually keep two molly mules in with one of my Welsh stallions, and he NEVER has shown ANY interest what-so-ever in them. Ever. Although my stallions don't do live cover, and the one that is in with them has never done live cover in his life.. so maybe that could be part of it?

The earliest I've ever seen fillies start cycling is a year and a half..

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2696
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Samantha, Most horse stallions will not breed another species....it's usually the donkey who's male breeding to a female horse. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Holly, sorry I know nothing about mules!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Samantha. I did find some info after I posted but it was vague. I am glad you dont seem to notice any changes as that was one of my concerns.
Diana, your right, Most stallions wont touch a Jennette, and if they did it would produce a hinny.

I am still learning so much about Miss Molly. Now that she is 1 yr old I have a different things to think of.
One thing is her weight. I know mules are easier to keep than hoses and she seems to be. However she has such a different shape than a horse, that its hard to tell if she is heavy or not.I try to watch her neck and she isnt cresty at all and her rib covering is fine. BUT she looks like a broodmare, tank body on itty bitty legs. She is not wormy, she just resembles a donkey so much. Its funny because the many that came to buy Tigger asked when my donkey was due. LOL! That got me thinking about all this.
Diana, what do you think? You know how fluffy these minis get, and in winter even the boys look pregnant! But does she look to heavy? Samantha do your mules look like this?
I just want to be sure she is healthy!

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/11-17-09molly008.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/11-17-09molly010.jpg

Linda Botterill
Nursing Foal
Username: Linda_botterill

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow she is so cute Holly !

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she looks very normal and healthy to me holly....of course all mine are overweight. LOL I think this is just the look they get. The one across the road from us looks just like her, and none of their animals are over/under weight. As a matter of fact, when the guy first moved in, i thought, "oh goody, a prego donkey"....turns out its a boy....lol....not prego at all, but looks the same as Molly.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Linda!
Hehehe Diana! That makes me feel better. Thats funny you thought the same thing.I am glad to know that she is normal for a mini mule. Not having others to judge by makes it difficult. I never really saw it until that guy said she looked pregnant, which of course I knew she wasnt, but I saw her in a different light.Then being a worry wart started to wonder if she was to heavy.
While I am on a roll, I am also curious about trimming mules feet, Samantha, maybe you can help. I know Donkeys normally have more heel than a horseand wonder if mules are to b trimmed like a horse or a donkey. Mollys hooves barely grow and the way she wears them down is a very short heel. If this is incorrect I would like to get it fixed asap.

Mr. Wright
Nursing Foal
Username: Dogpony_show

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my! She is a Q-T!

I'd give her a home in a second!

What's her personality like?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! She is super sweet. Loves attention and is my goat herd protector. She thinks human of all types and sizes are made to pet,scratch, brush and love on her.
For more enjoyment here she is as a foal and now.:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/10-22-08015-1.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/11-9-09024-1.jpg

Mr. Wright
Nursing Foal
Username: Dogpony_show

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Thank goodness she grew into that head!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes poor Molly, her head is still a tad large lol.
I have been asking other sites and they say Mollys weight looks fine. But that maybe she has a hay tummy. What do yall think?
Last night
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/11-17-09molly033.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/11-17-09molly027.jpg
Today:
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/11-17-09joycee027-1.jpg

Christi Christofferson
Breeding Stock
Username: Cchristofferson

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love her coloring =] Sorry I don't know anything about Molly Mules 0:D

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats ok lol.

I took some pics today (its snowing!!) And when seeing Molly next to Bonny thought yall would like to see a pic of Molly compared to Bonny. This way yall can see just how big Molly is. She is about 6 inches shorter than Bonny but her tummy is enormous.
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/ShyBon/12-04-09031-1.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US