SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Weaning Question « Previous Next »

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock
Username: Starr

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey yall. Ok, I have probably a very weird question, but Im going to ask anyway.
Is there anyway to wean Joker without seperating him from Suevannah? Is there anything I can put on her ninnis that tastes grose to him but wont hurt either of them? I was planing on weaning tomorrow by the Farmers Almanac. He is 2 weeks away from being 6 months old and Suevannah has not stopped nursing him, she doesnt even push him away. I only have two mares and someone will be left alone and I was hopeing I didnt have to seperate anyone. I could if I have to. Just wanted to know if anyone has ever done anything like that so they didnt have to be seperated.
Any help would be great.

Thanks yall.
V.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they need to be separated. It's not only about nursing, it's an emotional thing too. 6 months is on the long end to be left with the dam in my opinion... I usually wean at about 4 months. It's best if you can completly remove the mare from the property.

Ann
Breeding Stock
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We wean on property but we too seperate the mares and foals. After about 3 days everyone settles down and the calling stops. Of course we have several foals this year so we weaned 2 together (at about 4 months for show reasons) and then the last one we put in with the others when she turned 5 months. last year we only had one so we put her with a gelding as a babysitter.

Good luck!

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Ladys, Thanks for your help. I did call the vet and asked him and there is nothing. He said the same thing just seperate them and they will be fine. The reason for waiting till now to wean is because my vet said and I quote him "DO NOT WEAN HIM TILL 6 MONTHS" so actually Im not really listning to my vet if I wean right now. If I wait till November by the signs of the almanac He will be 2 weeks shy of 7 months. So I figured right now would be a good time. Removing the mare from the property is NOT an opption for me. The way I look at it is How would I like it giving birth to my child than having someone moving me away and keeping me from my child for a period of time. I would NOT like it. I think it would do more harm than good if I removed her. With this being her first. Out in the wild they dont take momma away, that im aware of, so why would I do that? Just my opinion. I know it sounds like im being a total Bi@ch but really Im not. At least not right now HE HE. Ok again thanks for your help. Later today since I will be home most of the day we will see how things go. I will be putting Joker with the older senior mare Red Cloud that we rescude so he can have company. Keep fingers crossed that knowbody gets hurt trying to jump fence.

(Message edited by starr on October 23, 2009)

Carol
Yearling
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you find a place who has other colt weanlings that he can go to be with? This makes it a bit more stressful for the little guy because not only is he leaving mommy but also leaving familiar surroundings, but if he has buddies his own age it really helps a great deal. This way, mares are together and he will have buddies to play with. In the spring, you can put them all back together if the colt has been gelded.

I have separated foals for 2-3 months to get momma's bag completely dry, and then put the fillies back in the mare herd. The moms didn't allow any nursing, and the fillies continued their herd education. There are lots of things momma can still teach the babies and as long as they don't take up nursing again, it is fine.

I tend to separate the sexes, however, so the colts are left with other colts.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Carol, no I dont know anyone whith other colts. know one is leaving the property. We seperated them today. A fence is seperating Suevannah from Joker. He is with Red Cloud the senior mare for company. So far everything is going really smooth. No crying,no running the fence,no bickering, NOTHING. Its like they totally understood what I was telling them all week long warning them about this. Its been great. I am so happy everything is going so smoothly.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we are at day 2 with weaning and so far so good. Joker tried to nurse from Red today but she gave him the "What For". He was pretty persistant. She never gave in thank goodness. Still hasnt been any noise from any of them,just very quiet. I wish I had another baby so he would have someone to play with because Red doesnt play anymore. She is a mother hen but thats it. Suevannah seems a little sad,but I pay attention to her to make her feel better. You can see it in her eyes that she looks sad. I dont blame her. Anyways,everything is AWESOME.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Vanessa. I feel your stress and anticipation.

We weaned our colt at 6 months (he is now 2YO and doing AWESOME) and kept him with the others in the herd for 1 month. The moment we put the herd together - the mare let him start to suck again (she was dry - I tried to pull milk from the tit and about got kicked). He was able to get her milking again - - AGGGGGHHH!!!! The way we were able to wean was to take her to be re-bred (planned it anyway and now have a beuatiful bay filly) so she was off the farm for a month - - out of sight.

The reason for the weaning process is an emotional one. Without the complete seperation - the two will be reliant on each other and you may have issues (riding, etc) in the future.

Good luck. The babies are great fun and enjoyable to see what they become as they grow up.

Tina
Neonate
Username: Hotti

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i wean..i take the mares out..leave the foals in the paddock they are accustomed to..they are aware of were alllll the fences are and you minimise the risk of them running into fences. Ideally if you can take them all into a safe yard, then take mares away.. leaving foals in for 24hrs or so to calm down that would be better still. I leave my fillies on mum for 7-8 mths they do great and they are weaned slowly by mares preventing mum getting mastits..colts come of mum earlier...at about 6mths. You know each situation is different..foals vary..time varies.

Diane Loveday
Breeding Stock
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all, my filly is going on 7 mos, she is weaned at night ( in from 7p-6a ) in her own stall next to Mom and is doing fine. I can take her or Mom out of the field and work with them without either one fretting, so separation is not a problem. Soon I will leave the filly with my gelding (her next best buddy)during the day in the pasture next to Mom to help Mom dry up. I don't have the desire or option to take either one off my property. I'll be keeping these horses "for life".
A friend of mine has used a "nursing bra" on her mare which goes on her hind end and covers the teats and prevents the weanling from nursing. She had a very determined baby mule who wanted to nurse forever. It worked well for them.
Sounds like it's going well for you Vanessa, hope it goes the same for us.

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Heres what has been going on. Joker has been doing awesome. No noise at all from either of them. I am having trouble because hes not eating his hay. He eats all of his grain. I am not sure if its because he is eating the grass in the pasture that is like GONE or if hes just not hungry. Is that going to be a problem? Suevannahs utters are almost shrunk to nothing. She is doing great.

Diane- Good luck on your weaning. I never relized how stressfull it can be. Im always watching to see whats going on.

Deb-I was planing on leaving him seperate untill next spring ofter he gets gelded. Hopefully I dont run into that problem of him trying to nurse again.

Tina-He is in the same area that he was born in with Grandma Red. He know where all the fences are and hot wire. Hes lucky because he also gets the barn to get out of the weather.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US