SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Questions about safety of riding and Adequan

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Questions about safety of riding and Adequan « Previous Next »

Heidi Caldwell
Weanling
Username: Heidicald

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. I need some opinions from peopple who have been in this situation:

My mare FINALLY checked in foal after 3 attempts this spring. She is at 26 days now with a heartbeat check coming up on the 31st. She is 17 yrs old. She is my dressage horse and is used to working about 4-5x per week at least 40-50 minutes. My vet said I really should hold off riding at least for the first 60 days as he considers her “high risk” because of the difficulty I had in getting her pregnant. I disagree somewhat. First, she is heavy. (Think air-fern in way of easy keeper). I think pulling her out of work will make her balloon even faster and I don't think fat mares are good for pregnancies either. I am trying to get her trimmed up some for the pregnancy’s sake.

But I have been riding her for about 30 mins every other day. Just WTC work, nothing hard or too collected. She never gets too hot and I hose her for 15 minutes afterwards and put her under the fans. She loves to work and is happy to do so. I really need to keep riding her because I plan to show her this fall twice in October and November. But I would stop in a heartneat if I knew it would jeop. the pregnancy.

What would you do in this scenario? He is coming back out on Monday for heartbeat check.

Second question: What about a broodmare being on Adequan. She is used to getting it every 4 - 6 weeks and I want to continue but I know there are no studies on its safety. Anyone chime in on this?

Thanks to all!
Heidi

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2593
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had worked as hard and long as you have to get this mare in foal, I'd listen to the vet! Even if you don't show her another day in her life, you should count your blessings that you got her bred, and do everything possible to see to it that she stays that way....once she's safely in foal, i'd go back to riding her 'casually' I know nothing about the Adequan

Heidi Caldwell
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana. Just testing to see what others think. I just do not want to see her get hugely fat, as she seems to gain weight when I go on vacation for 3 days!

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heidi,

What level Dressage is she? I wouldn't push her for the first 60 days, but it seems like what your doing is good. If she was say, a PSG horse, I'd probably just work some Third Level stuff, stretching, easy work. Nothing stressful. It's actually not good to completly change her routine. After 60 days, you can probably go back to riding her 'normally' for another 3ish months. Not sure about Adequan, ask your vet about that. I want to says that your not supposed to inject joints during pregnancy, but I wouldn't swear by it...

A good joint supplement that is safe for pregnant mares is GLC 5500+ :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A major consideration should be what the ambient temperature is. Research has shown that continuing work during the embryonic stage in high temperatures leads to an increase in the core temperature of the mare and a significant increase in embryonic death. If high temperatures are an issue where you are located, I would avoid working her until it cools down.

Ann
Yearling
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to chime in...we work our mares at all phases of preganancy. Our show season is short and intense and they need to be fit. I discount pregnancy....I take in to consideration level of fitness, weather conditions, etc. when deciding how hard to work. Our mares pull heavey metal work carts and carry 150 pound harnesses. My philosophy is that a fit pregnant mare will not have the complications of a fat out of shape pregnant mare. And a mare that likes to work will likely not tolerate being out of work well. Easier to keep a mare fit then to lay off 60-90 days and then try and get that level of fitness back. We have never had a mare abort because they were in work while pregnant.

Good luck!

Heidi Caldwell
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! I live in Georgia where it is normally hotter than hell. Been tolerable lately. I always ride my horses when it has cooled down. With her being pregnant, I do not ride on excessively humid days. I ride at 7pm when my arena is shaded. She gets ridden then hosed then under fans. I am just going to w/t and stretch her some for the next few days until I get the heartbeat check on Monday. Then I will reevaluate and talk to my vet again.

Jos, what do you know about Adequan in the broodmare? Samantha, thanks for that tip, I will DEF look into it if I cannot do the adequan. But Adequan just goes, IM, not into the joints. BTW, we just work 2nd-3rd level dressage. No heavy collection or the P's.

Thanks!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US