SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare has VERY sore feet!!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Mare has VERY sore feet!!!! « Previous Next »

annie zurth
Neonate
Username: Girl_z

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is due in the beginning of August. SHe is barefoot and was fine until 2 months ago when a friend had her trimmer do a "natural" trim on her. She has been practically crippled ever since. My farrier will just back her toes a bit, but thsi lady went crazy! My farrier looked at her last week and said no signs of founder, but what a mess! She is big and very sore, she could barely turn around today. I just want to nurse her through this final month and then hopefully with the weight gone she will feel better. Vet has me buting her 1 gm a day for 4 days on and then a break, then back if needed. Any advice on bute and a baby this late term? I will put shoes on her if needed.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definately put shoes on her, and maybe keep her in a deeply bedded stall for like 12hrs a day. As a general rule, I prefer not go give pregnant mares bute excessivly. I'm not sure of the effects of giving it in a late term mare, if any.

It might also help putting her hooves in ice buckets, or standing her in a cold stream if that is available to you. Some cold water is not likely to hurt a thing.... and it could very well help.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be putting shoes on her as soon as possible or if she's confined to a stable you can put styrofoam on her hoofs. If she's on long term bute you might consider some antiulcer medications too such as gastroguard.

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annie,

We had to put our mare on Bute (1g 2x/day) for the last 3 full months prior to foaling as she was so sore on her feet. Hers (it appears) was the start of laminitis. We now think after the foal is almost 2 months old, it may have been abcesses on both front feet.

We were lucky as she is still on the same bute levels and no signs of ulcers (since March this year).

The styrofoam does wonders! We used 2 inch "blue board" the kind you put under cement for flooring. It only takes a few hours and your mare will have it squished down again. We left it on as long as possible though, because she was too sore to hold up her other foot to change it. You may want to use vet wrap on the hoof and slightly onto the hair line to keep the duct tape on the hoof. (But DO NOT put the duct tape on the coronet band and hair line). Wrap the entire hoof and styrofoam together on the hoof, much like if it was a "hoof boot".

We looked into purchasing Hoof boots as an alternative as well. You can buy them with cold water gel inserts. Them you could use them later if she is a barefoot mare normally. We found numerous kinds in Valley vet, Country supply, Smith Brothers, etc.

You can email me if you want more insight. We have lived this since March and we are not completely out of the woods yet. You can see our thread under foaling and immediate foal issues - preparing for an orphan foal.

wildcat_acres@yahoo.com

Good luck and my prayeres are with you.

Rusti
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if I think shoes are such a good idea if she's always been barefoot and done fine. All my horses are barefoot and I trim them myself and they've never had any soreness. It sounds like she got sore because this person who did the "natural trim" cut out a bunch of sole/frog or took off too much hoof wall from the bottom. Putting shoes on her is just gonna add pressure to the sole if that's the case, and she will be even more sore. Her feet will need time to toughen back up, and don't let that person trim her again.

Another possibility is that her angles were altered bad enough from this trim to make her tendons sore. If that's the case, shoes with wedge pads could be a temporary fix until her feet can grow some and then be trimmed back to the angles they belong at. Is she in a wet environment? If so have you checked to make sure she doesn't have thrush? Did your farrier give his/her opinion on why she's sore?

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rusti,
Dumb question as I do not do the natural trim...Why does putting shoes on add pressure to the sole? Our mare must have shoes as she is really short on sole (~7mm vs the recommended 15). therefore we Always keep shoes on the front. Due to numerous issues, she has now had a sole pad continuously for the past 13 months. Long stories - I think you have followed some of the content. We recently took them off, used styrofoam for a week and now have aluminum shoes with a "pad" only on the rim of the shoe. She has abcesses on both front feet - the reason we do not have full pad on the sole.

I am always wanting to learn more and am curious regarding your comment as our mare with her new shoes and no "sole pad" is a bit sore. we are trying everything we can think of and this was the next progression. I sincerely appreciate your commments why the horse gets sore with shoes if they are common with barefoot. Thanks a million for your input.

Annie - sorry to butt in on your thread. I hope we can all learn........

Rusti
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding shoes doesn't always add sole pressure, as long as the hooves were trimmed correctly before the shoe was applied. So not all horses that have been barefoot for a long time will become sore with a set of shoes. Regarding the horse in question, it's my belief that if her hoof walls were trimmed too short, and she is walking on nothing but a little white line and sole, then trying to put a shoe on is only going to add a rim of pressure around the edge of the sole and this will be very uncomfortable for her. Actually a farrier would probably have to further invade the live sole to lower it to the current level of hoofwall so that there's something to nail into.

Some natural trim guidelines recommend rasping the hoof wall from the bottom of the foot at a 45 degree angle starting at the toe and working around to the quarters. This is all well and good and it's what I do but some people do get a little out of hand with it and rasp that 45 degree angle all the way back into live sole. When in reality it needs to stop just at the inside edge of the hoof wall. Unless you're dealing with a very out of hand long toe but that's a whole nother story.

Deb, as far as your mare and the sole pads go it make perfect sense that she is sore now without them. She had that pad protecting her sole from any outside pressures for over a year, now all the sudden it is exposed. Imagine spending a year of your life walking around your house barefoot but instead of carpet you have gravel. Your feet would be calloused up and rough on the bottom...no doubt it would have hurt at first but eventually they would be adapted to their environment. Now imagine you wake up one day and have shoes and socks on, and you wear them in your house for a year. In a very short amount of time from a mixture of sweat, soap and water those callouses will be gone. Then one day, bam, no more shoes, it's sure gonna hurt to walk on those gravels again. Same deal with the sole of a horses hoof. Horses with thin soles can and will grow thick calloused sole if left barefoot in the proper terrain with proper trimming.

And I just want to add - I've never taken a single class on trimming or shoeing. I've done lots of reading on the anatomy and mechanics of the hoof, as well as studied my own horses' hooves as they grow and trim naturally in between me trimming them. So I don't consider myself an expert on any of this but I do think it's the logical explanations and it all makes sense to me. Hope I have helped.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US