SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bred one day apart, but on rectal exam one is farther along than the other?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Bred one day apart, but on rectal exam one is farther along than the other? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both my mares had ultra-sounds at 14 days gestation. One had a twin pinched off. They should now be 63 and 64 days gestation, respectively with one last bred on April 19 and one on April 18.

Another vet's evaluation, per rectal check yesterday, was that one is further along than the other. So I am confused.

Unfortunately, the vet does not know the history and I didn't know he was going to be there yesterday, so wasn't there to give it to him, so he had little to go on.

He said that one of the mare's fetus, is, "up farther," than the other mare's, to the point that he could, "not tell if there was a twin." As I said, neither has a twin, I'm just describing what he said he felt, as relaid by someone who was there.

Do I need to be concerned about the health of either fetus? I'm waiting to ask him any questions, until I see if this post generates any that I need to ask him, so I can do it all at once. I don't want to bug him to death.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palpation really doesn't tell much at that stage. Ultrasound will give you a comparative measure - if you can still reach the fetus (it's typically about to fall over the pelvic brim and out of reach anytime now).

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Jos. I might just wait until they are further along, to re-check, unless there is some reason I ought to have it done now? I do know there are no twins. The mare that was not pinched off, had two or three ultra-sounds up until she was 24 days, so I am confident neither is in foal with twins.

The breeding dates should certainly be accurate, since they were hand bred. That is what is so confusing.

I was worried that one may be dead and so didn't develop and that might be why he felt the difference? If you think there is a medical reason to warrant it, I'll get it done right away.

I am going to try and talk to the vet too, tomorrow. He might have been under the false belief that they were further along than they were.

I plan to read some of the articles on this board during this week sometime. I've read some of them before, but as I learn more, they make more sense to me.

Thanks again.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeeezzz, I think I just realized what you were saying, Jos. You were simply saying that a vet can't really feel the position of the fetus at that age, right? I was trying to think in complicating terms, instead of keeping it simple!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US