SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Newest rescue filly- What do you think??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Newest rescue filly- What do you think?? « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Alot of you were reading and replying about the filly I purchased a couple weeks ago on a stallion thread I posted. I figured it was time to write about her in a more aproprieate place. Well She is putting on weight stedily butnot too fast. You can still see her ribs,back, and hip bones but they are filling in. She seemed to get quite jelouse of the other mare being saddled yesterday (June 17th) so I went ahead just to make her happy and put the saddle on her. I did not and will not get on her until I know for a fact that she has enough weight and is healthy enough to do so. My saddle looks like a heavy roping saddle but only half of that is true, It is really light wieght or I would'nt have put it on her. Anyways back to the subject. When I got her many of yopu know already that I was worried about her being tame. She was wild as ever. When I got her home she was going by trusting me and she took her chances and let me halter her, She has been gentil ever since. The guy whom origanally sold her during the auction sa me loading her and told me she had never been messed with at all excluding weaning her. I got her off the "Kill Truck" (they take the horses to slaughter in Mexico) that was on June 1st. I have had her for 18 days now and she has not offered to buck,kick,bite,rear, or anything else. She's not even put her ears back! I have brush her combed her mane,forelock,and tail, fly sprayed her, put show sheen on her, along with a good bath, trimming some over growth off her feet and of all things I used clippers to trim her bridle path!!!! OMG SHE IS AMAZING!!! I LOVE HER!!! sorry for the all caps.. I have decided she will not be adopted out as most of the rescues are, she is at home with me so she is staying. Anywho enought blabbering,lol.. Here's her pics that were promiced on the other thread!! ENJOY! feel free to leave positive and negitive feedback about her, She is not registered.

june 4th-

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage001.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage002.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage003.jpg

June 17th, We wormed her so she did loose her "worm weight" but looks nicer here-

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage022.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage021.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage020.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage019.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage018.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage017.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage016.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/New%20Rescue-%20Sweet%20Pea/I mage015.jpg

Lindsey
Yearling
Username: Lindsey6384

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary what a great job you have done! Keep up the great work, she really looks like a sweetie.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks much improved! She will never know how close she came to the end...

Ruby Halter
Nursing Foal
Username: Rhalter

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary - looks like you are doing an excellent job! She looks healthy and happy - both positive signs. Keep up the good work.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone! I will keep posting info and pics about her. She is an amazing filly! I love her alot. All in all I think she was definatly worth the $200 it took to get her even though the killers only paid $70 for her.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well guys. Sweet Pea is doing very good. She is putting on weight like no other! She is such a good horse, she was worth every penny it took to get her even though I really didnt have it to spend.

Different subject now. I need to vent BADLY!!!!!

I got a phone call yesterday around 5:30pm that one of my friends horses was down due to worms. Well, since I have loads of experiance with treating horses(No I am not a vet but I know enough to get my vet certificate) I went out there (approx. 35-40miles away) to look at this horse and see if anything could be done because the horses owner is out of state and left her "Other half" in harge of tening to the horses. Well when I got there it was a pitiful sight. The 2 year old registered (with good lines) paint filly, whom is as gentil as they come, was down and couldn't stand. She was literally NOTHING but BONES! GAHHHHHHHHH I know these people know how to tend to horses and I checked her manure which was pretty much just funny colored water and guess what!! NO WORMS! The filly had laybored breathing and couldn't even sit up without being held up. She was ice cold on some parts of her body and burning hot on others. They had her laying in direct sunlight when there was a shed less than 100 ft away. her head was hitting a bunch of boards that have nails in them and to put on top of everything else they were feeding her CHICKEN SCRATCH! That does not under any case have enough nutrition for a horse of any kind. I saw photos of this filly awhile back when they got her and she was extreamely healhy and fat. It loked like she hadn't had a meal in a year and they have only had her around 6 months! I got her sat up with support and to make her more comfortable I administered 8cc's of antibiotic and some bute. She had barely any gut sounds at all but there were some there and you could plainly see that this horse was not in a colic episode and when I finished with the medicine I noticed a knot on her nose right by her right nostril, I felt it and she had a broken nose! OMG I AM SOOOOOO MAD!!!! Anyways. She had a bad cut on her leg I think from barbed wire. Im sorry this is so long. Well, I looked into her eyes and you could see her starting to go into small siezures as her eyes were twitching back and fourth and she was shaking in her muscles.I told the guy fla out to go get his gun and shoot the horse because there was nothing I nor a vet could do for her. OH and the best part.... You'l get a kick out of this one.... "He" said she got this skinny and went down all since this past Wensday!!!! THIS CANT HAPPEN THAT FAST! The actual owner asked me in a text message if I could drive by her houseand check her other horses. I did and I didnt like what I saw.... Her gelding whom is normally a pretty easy keeper, I know I bought him off her at one point and gave her back because he tried to kick a child, he was in nearly as bad of condition as the 2 year old that we had just put down! No worries though. I turned her in last night when I got back to town. The police will be investigating and because I am well known around my parts for rescuing and helping animals of all sorts so they will take my word over hers any day of the week, They are taking this VERY seriously. BUT the one problem is that she still owes memoney for one of the horses I sold back to her (FYI- I had no clue at all that she'd treat them like this!) I have to inform the police that if that particular horse is siezed she is to be returned to me as she owes me $200 for her out of an original cost of $250. She has onlymade 1 payment and that was over a month ago!

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you have success in prosecuting. Our laws are so losely interpreted here that there are seldom any abuse or neglect convictions. At most, they take away the exisitng animals, but have no restriction on obtaining new ones. Our local SPCA is weak which hurts us worse. I volunteer for an animal resuce and take care of their equine transport. I have been sickened by what I have seen.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, thank goodness there are people like you looking out for our equine friends.

What would the woman do if you just said, "I'm taking my horse back," and loaded it up?

Hope you get the police effort that is needed.

It is heartbreaking for someone who boards a horse and is not near to keep an eye on it when these things happen. From the more minor (not getting the hooves trimmed often enough) to the horrendous (feeding chicken scratch) Unbelievable!!!!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, When me nd her agreed on the payment plan it was agreed that she could take the horse to her place because the filly was trying to literally kill my newborn foal whom (not that I personally care about pricing) is worth around 35,000 whereshe is only worth about 300. Right now with the market the ay it is I have to care about price and conformation when Im doing the breeding to get compitition horses and thats what the foal is. He is born and bred to compete and work, with win included in the mix and she is not bred for anything. The officer I talked to is working on the procedures right now but they want all the ducks in a row so to speak. When they go in they want to be able to automatically take ALL the horses not just the gelding. In all this I will get the filly back and she will be re-adopted by a good family who lives right next to where my "ranch" is so I will be keeping an eye on her. I wish I had've gotten photos of the one that died but I didn't think about it until she was already dead and I refuse to photograph anything that is dead unless I am asked to do so by the police. At the time I didnt think I was going to turn her in but when I found out about the so called feed and the other horse that's when it was decided because there are ALOT of enviromental issues and parasites that can make a horse go down fast and without warning all us horse people know that and most likly have had it happen but that wasn't the case with this one.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you'll get the horse back and she will be well taken care of.

People need education, but unfortunately, those that most need it are often the ones least likely to be willing to get it. I don't mean, necessarily, formal education, but by learning from more experienced people.

Lord knows I've made mistakes, as many of us have, out of ignorance, but certainly, and especially with the internet, there is no excuse for not knowing the basics; like what a horse eats and how often they need vaccinations and the like. I do understand hardship too, but there is a limit..well, I'm rattling on.

If I ever boarded a horse, and then found out it was in that condition, or dead doesn't even begin to cover it!

Anyway, glad it all worked out, so to speak. And glad your foal is doing well. $35,000-Wow! But yes, we need to protect our "investments," regardless of how big or small. It isn't all about the money, but it is important, of course. I am sure you wouldn't be doing what you do for neglected horses, if it were just about money, as they cost a lot to get them healthy.

But again, I'm rattling on. Very tired and it is late. Sorry.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you CJ.

Well, the police still have not done anything and its been about a week. Without them going out and doing something I wont get that mare back and so she will probly die or end up with a spoiled wind muscles and conformation. I havenoticed when a horse goes way under that his/her actuall conformation changes if they are bad enough. I saw this one stud that was perfect in every way, well he kicked out at a person so to "teach him a lesson" as they put it they put him in a 10X10 box and starved him, he was taken from there and when he regained his weight he didnt look the same. all of his legs were oddly "strung out" to either side. It was a miserable sight.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you get her back and in reasonable health. I hope the police act quickly (quicker) on this. Keep us posted, okay?

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definately will.

Sara Bing
Nursing Foal
Username: Ellis_girl

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is very pretty I like her snip on her nose. She looks like she is coming along very well. Good job

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, what ever happened with this mare??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US