SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is my filly pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Is my filly pregnant? « Previous Next »

Krystal
Neonate
Username: Krystalake

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay I know everyone is going to say have a vet check her, but this wont be possible for at least a month due to unforeseen money issues. I will as soon as I have the money.

I rescued a filly on March 1st 09. She was a bag of bones with a belly and shaggy hair, I assumed she was a weanling, but turned out she is turning 2 in August, vet agrees she is not over 2 yrs old. I had her all checked over, discussed belly with vet, agreed it was malnutrition as I wormed her and hadn't seen any worms.

Well as of a month ago I am starting to wonder if she is prego. I noticed she was backing up to the barn and shift weight back and forth, about every min or two. Was afraid of founder, had farrier out, not founder. So I started watching her closely. Than I realized she hadnt (and still hasnt) gone into heat. And im pretty sure I can see the foal move. (Been told it maybe gas) So to be safe i started bringing her in at night and she has her own pasture. Here are a list of her sypmtoms I have noticed over the last 6 weeks.

Minimal tail resistance
Clear sticky fluid from udders, has been minimal, some days more than others (has had for at least 5 weeks now, that i know of)
She bites at her sides
Lefts tail up alot and to the side.
Looks at her belly a lot
She has started to dislike the dog.
She seems to poop at lot, some days more than others.
Lately I have noticed changes in the vulva, and she has had a purply/red pieces of tissue in it. (minimal)
All in all doesnt seem to be able to get comfortable, if she does, it isnt for long.
About 4 weeks ago I thought she had gone into labor or coliced (but she pooped) she was kicking her belly, biting it, poop every 10 mins, up and down.
She also eats like she is starving. She is on pasture 12 hrs a day and has as much Grass hay as see wants during the other 12. She also gets about 2 lbs of grain a day, I reduced from 4lbs as I dont want to make her fatter if she isnt prego.

BUT, she doesnt have much of a belly, it is low and doesnt stick out to the sides much.
Nor have her udders developed.

If she is not prego, could something be wrong with her?

(Message edited by krystalake on June 11, 2009)

Rusti
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...sounds pregnant to me...do you have any pictures of her? In the last little bit of gestation when the foal is in position to be born that's how the mare will look...flat on the sides. Have you noticed any changes in the muscles on her croup? Do they appear to be falling away from her tailhead, and soft and jiggly, like jello?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of those symptoms could be pregnancy. Are you saying her belly was wider and now it doesn't stick out as much, but it lower? If so, that is the symptom that doesn't fit into any "sick" category.

If you could hunt down someone with a digital camera you would get some really educated repsonses to pics from this board.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, just something to think about, is horses get a belly as they are gaining weight and can appear pregnant even when not.
Some of her symptoms could be related to the heat, flies, knats and mosquitoes.
She could also have silent heats, where she wont show much.
Whit that considered she could also very well be bred:-)
Would love to see pics of her.
Take the pics from straight front and back and from the side, as angles tend to distort. Also try to get a pic of her udder and vulva.

Krystal
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures I took today. As you can see she isn't huge, but does have a belly on her, it has always been low, has never stuck out when looking at her from behind.

I have not noticed any changes in the tail head just the vulva, which seems very soft and wide now.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs083.snc1/5015_89668787983_7452229 83_2030031_7201615_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs083.snc1/5015_89668792983_7452229 83_2030032_3786799_n.jpghttp://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs103.snc1/5015_89668802983_7452229 83_2030034_7270049_n.jpghttp://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs083.snc1/5015_89668807983_7452229 83_2030035_1810254_n.jpghttp://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs083.snc1/5015_89668812983_7452229 83_2030036_8068381_n.jpghttp://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs103.snc1/5015_89668822983_7452229 83_2030038_1237927_n.jpg

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm voting "not prego"....these are all typical of horses coming out of a poor nutritional situation. Her system is taking on new things, she's gassy, making "proper" poo, and as far as the dog goes.....she's probably just feeling much better. She certainly does look nice for something that was a shaggy bag of bones on March 1st! Great job with her!

Krystal
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! Feeding horses is something I am really good at...:-)

Krystal
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what she looked liked when I got her.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2574/203/115/745222983/n745222983_1 658974_3168813.jpg

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 901
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say not in foal but great job on her she looks fantastic, what a change from the original picture, well done

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say "not" also and a congratulations on your feeding program. She looks so much better. I had a starved mare I rescued and then thought was preg, also. She was not. Here are pics of her from the first day and three weeks:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/Heartbreaker BeforePicture.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/Frontview6-2 6-06.jpg

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa kathee! it all went strait to her belly , didn't it! haha!! Don't blame you for being fooled by that one!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Krystal. I'd be concerned about the "pieces of tissue" in her vulva. I'm glad you can get her checked by a vet soon. She could be aborting??? I don't really know. I'd get a picture of it, so when your vet comes, if it is not still there, they can at least see a pic.
She doesn't really look pregnant, but I know people have been surprised before. So Please-Keep us Posted!! Okay?

As far as looking and kicking at her sides, could be pests and could be some "light" colic (if there is such a thing) going on.

Sara Bing
Neonate
Username: Ellis_girl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep us posted my mare looks just like this and we are tryin to get money for the vet

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US