SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

False preg question-ANY HELP PLEASE!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » False preg question-ANY HELP PLEASE! « Previous Next »

Heather
Yearling
Username: Lilredbuck

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if a mare is having a false preg, does she have milky type fluid from her teats? or would it be more of a clear type fluid? would the fluids cal levels change when testing if not in foal or would they stay the same?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare bagged up and produced enough milk (or milk looking substance) one year that her 2 year old nursed.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS doesn't necessarily mean it's a 'false pregnancy' as those are rare. Your mare might have lost her foal after 35 days (after endometrial cups have formed). If this was the case, the mare would not cycle, and would continue to bag up as if bred, until she eventually comes back into heat. Yes, she would have milk in the teats, and yes, calcium levels change. I have one mare who has milk all the time, and the calcium level changes depending on where she is in her cycle. I'd advise having a vet check your mare if you're wondering, otherwise it's a long long road to insanity. (sounds as if you're 1/2 way there ) LOL

Heather
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I think I've been on the insanity road for a long time now!LOL. some of the pics on my mare look very much prego and some do not. I think you both have seen her's under foal watch Dee's. I'm at the point where I'm really starting to wounder if she really is. She has shown so many signs that she is indeed in foal but with as long as she is going, it really makes me wounder.She has not shown any signs of heat since I bought her either. Vet says to just hold on two more weeks, if she hasn't done anything by then, she's probably not pregers. if that is the case, I won't be having her bred back until next year.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've seen her foal watch....and just went back to look again. The more I look at your photos (all the way thru foal watch) the more I think she looks unbred to me.

Heather
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, if she's not bred, how long is it going to take before she starts cycling again?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi heather, I did a search and found this earlier post, maybe it'll help.

Jos
Posted From: 137.186.22.12
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 05:20 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a mare loses her pregnancy prior to about day 30-35, then she will be likely to come back into estrus ("heat") as soon as the CL left from the previous ovulation has regressed. This generally means that if she lost the pregnancy prior to 14 days, she will come back into estrus on the same schedule as she would if she hadn't been bred; on the other hand, if she loses the pregnancy after that point, she will generally lag behind by the same number of days as she was behind her regular schedule when she lost the pregnancy. There can be variables (such as a retained CL) but generally, it will be as described. Note that these mares will probably respond to prostaglandin by coming into estrus in 3-5 days.

Around day 30-36 of pregnancy some structures form called the endometrial cups. These secrete a hormone called equine chorionic gonadotropin or eCG. eCG is responsible for the encouragement of the production of further follicles, some of which ovulate, and some simply becoming CL's without ovulation. the end result is that there is an increased production of the hormone progesterone, which is secreted by the CL's. These structures will remain in place until about 120-150 days of pregnancy.

If a mare loses her pregnancy after the formation of the endometrial cups, she will not return to estrus until they have regressed at the 120-150 day mark.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare did this last year (was bred in April)...and bagged up full with milk and everything....I looked at her constantly and thought "she just doesn't look bred", but she never came back into heat....until MARCH of this year. So, I am suspect she lost her foal after 35 days or so.

Heather
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana! I'm hoping, not likely, that she is still in foal and just a freak by holding on so long. or that she starts cycling again this year so that I can get her in early to be bred next year, too late to bred this year, summers are way too hot.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US