Just had my quarter horse mare checked to see if she was in foal (she had a 46mm follicle 17 days ago) - we only bred her once - and did not have her checked to see when she ovulated (I know, I know - we should have). The vet saw no pregnancy and absolutely no activity as far as follicular development goes on either side. He is recommending giving her LL to make her come in - but I don't want to abort a possible pregnancy. I am having another vet come out Thursday to check mares, should I get him to take a look? Has anyone had this experience and the mare was actually pregnant, but it could not be seen yet? I am just suspect because she has NO activity at all, not even anything in the 20s. Seems like she would have had to have held on to that big follicle for a LONG time for her not to even be showing any signs of follicle development at this point - and she has always had around a 21 day cycle (we have had 7 foals out of her since we have owned her).
We had something similiar to this happen last year. Mare must have gotten pregnant, then lost it. She was checked at 16 days post ovulation- didn't see anything. Then again at 18 days post ovulation- nothing. No follicular development, no embryo, and the uterus was not edemedus, there was nothing to suggest that the mare was pregnant, nor that she was coming into heat. I too was concerned about aborting a pregnancy. We ended up giving her the Lutalyse. She was pregnant on the next insemination. Unforunatly she lost it around 30 days though We shall try again this year.
I'd say have her checked once more just to be sure, then give her the lutalyse. Unless your in a huge hurry to get her pregnant, it's not going to make much of a difference waiting a few more days just to be 100% sure
Thanks so much for your answer! I really have a feeling that she is not bred, but it is weird that there is absolutely nothing going on in there - so maybe you are right. He did say her uterus looked just fine - so it sounds just like what happened to you. I decided to wait since we are having the vet come out Thursday - I will let you know what he says then - hopefully she will have a follicle at least starting to grow. This year our mares have had such LONG cycles (although we are not sure exactly when she ovulated, but she would have had to have held on to that 46mm follicle for another 5 or 6 days to have no activity as of yesterday}) - it just blows my mind. Thanks again, and I will post with where she is after we get her checked. Good luck with your mare too!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: