SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Purchased a new mare. Broodmare potential?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Purchased a new mare. Broodmare potential? « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well everyone! I bought my new mare! Sheis only a yearling but she is showing LOADS of potenial for work and breeding! She is on the larger side and has amazing bloodlines,color,conformation,and movement! I am working with her so she will calm down but she is very high strung. I am in the process of posting her pedigree on www.allbreedpedigree.com when I get it up I will post the link and as soon as Ifigure out how to get pics off my phone with the USB cable I will post photos of her.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ae some pics! (They dont at all do her justice)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Suzie2.jp g
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Suzie.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Suzie3.jp g

I will ge new pics tomorrow. These make her look skinny and like she has no muscle. She is just the opposite! Big and lots of muscle

Deb Anderson
Yearling
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very pretty. she looks big for a yearling!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some videos of her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THDjH3ueQPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAZhtwHTsGI

And Pics-
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Dunno012. jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Dunno011. jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Dunno010. jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Dunno031. jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/Dunno009. jpg

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh just an exra bit of info. The man in the light blue shirt is my dad. He is about 5'6" tall, That should say how big she is

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is really beautiful. Is she grullo?

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda but no. She is actually a buckskin, If her coat had more of a "blue" to it she'd be grullo. the lady I gother from called her a Zebra Dun which is classified (so I've read) as a buckskin

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duns and Buckskins are geneticlly different and are classified as two separate colors. She is definately dun or grullo. I say grullo becasue of the dark face. Buckskins so not have the defined dorsal stripe and they don't have the primitive marks (zebra stripes)on the legs and shoulders.

The differene is that a buckskin is caused by the cream gene and dun is caused by the dun gene. A black based horse that gets a cream gene turns smoky black. If you add an Agouti gene, you get a buckskin.
A black based horse that gets the dun gene becomes a dun.
A red based horse that gets the cream gene becomes a palomino - the Agouti has no effect because there is no black to control.
A red based horse that gets the dun becomes a red dun.
She looks like a dun with a black base, but no way to find out without testing. She may also carry a red gene that isn't expressed when black is present. $40 for the black/red color test and $25 for a cream, $25 for the dun test - knowing your horses colors - priceless!

Jennifer Seaman
Weanling
Username: C_j_quarterhorses

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee is right, she has very prominent "cob webbing" on face, withers and legs, including the leg barring. She is very fine line between grullo and dun, you'd have to test to find out for sure. Grullo's aren't always a blueish color, I have one in my barn right now who is smokey black then looks like someone took spray paint of black and just sprayed his head/legs and dorsal. Her color is very desirable and she is very feminine (which is good!).

As far as broodmare potential that would depend on what you are going to use her for. I always base my "future" mares on what their purpose is, conformation, disposition and how they will perform. If they cannot perform their job (in my case reining) they aren't breeding material. IMO, you want to breed something that is successful in whatever discipline/breed you are in. It optimizes your success in crossing with a stud that's successful and it keeps from diluting the breed with coulda/shoulda beens. Also it helps in selling the offspring. The female line is almost more important than the sire line. I expect my mares (whether I've raised or purchased them) to achieve great things before they retire to the breeding shed.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow girls. Thank you! I was just going from what I read and was told by he previous owner, I stand corrected. I have more photos of "Honey" I will be posting soon. As for what I will be using her for I'm planning for Halter while she is young, Her 2 year old year I will probly just take her to open shows to get her used to the atmosphere, then her 3 y/o year and later I plan to train her for reining,reined cow horse,and barrel racing. Possibly some other events but she is showing me while at play that she would excel at anything I train her for, She has natural flying lead changes,natual sliding stop, she can cut like no other yearling Ive seen, and she can turn on a dime and give you back 9 cents.lol

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with her!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah. Especially when it comes to her breaking in. She is such a high strung filly. Here are her other 3 photos. Also How rare is her "shade" of grullo or dun? I did look the color up and found a colt identical to her (cant hardly tell em' apart) that is a grullo. I will have her tested soon. What tet should I have done first and what website do I find it on?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/05-16-09_ 1635.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/05-16-09_ 1636.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Honey%20AQHA%202008/05-16-09_ 1634.jpg

Deb Anderson
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is just stunning! Enjoy her

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe my post disappeared! OMG it was so long and detailed all about grullo possibilities When I get through screaming I will post it again!

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee...who will do a dun test? Still wondering about Verbena...her color is so strange...

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK...I will try again!

It is impossible to predict the shade of grullo - there are too many options. She is definately a dun, and there are three primary dun catergories -red dun (red base), zebra dun (black base/bay) and a grullo (black). That being said, you can have all sorts of combinations such as palomino duns, paint duns, etc. The grullo is the rarest of the dun colors and only 7% of the QH registered each year are grullo.

Here is my GUESS for this mare - black horse with dun gene and no Agouti. I would test for the coat color (test name is red factor/Agouti $40) and the Dun Zygosity ($50). Basic genetics - the horse carries 2 copies of the gene and passes one of the two. The foal gets one gene from the dam and one from the sire. Here is what those test will tell you:

She can be EE (black/black), Ee (black/red) or ee (red/red - I doubt this one).

She can be AA (Agouti/Agouti) Aa (Agouti/not agouti) or aa (no agouti present - I think she is this one)

She can be DD (Dun/Dun) Dd (Dun, not Dun)

What this means:
Color - If either parent passes the back gene, the horse will be black - always dominant over red

Agouti - causes a black horse to be bay - Duns can carry the Agouti gene but the Dun gene will domninate and the Dun already mimics the Agouti by having an expression of points. Visibly, a black horse with Agouti (bay) and Dun will usually have the golden tan body instead of the red or silver sheen. I don' think your mare has an Agouti, but a dun that did carry Agouti could create a bay or buckskin if they did not pass the dun gene and the right base color was passed.

Here is the link to the U C Davis color testing site. You have to create a user id, but it is free. I hope this is not information overload...I am such an equine genetics geek!

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/horse.php

The only other test I would consider would be for the cream gene. If either of her parents carried that gene, it can be hard to visibly detect with a grullo.

(Message edited by katheekj on May 18, 2009)

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry - I saw your pic of Verbena when she was shaved. Do you have any photos with some hair growth? I don't remember the date on those. The test for Dun is called Dun Zygosity on the UC Davis form.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked into her pedigree on www.allbreedpedigree.com and found going back to her Great Great Great Grandparents,Mind you some colors were unlisted or had a ? beside it(those are not counted) There are

Chestnut/sorrel- 17
Brown- 4
Bay- 5
Buckskin- 7
Grullo- 9
Palomino- 4
Dun- 2
Black- 1

Her sire, Wild Blue Playboy, is a Grullo
Her dam, Genuine Bonnie Blue, is a Buckskin

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would test for the cream gene - she would have had to get it directly from her parents and since mom had it and dad could have hidden it, I would want to know. Her pedigree has 21 red based horses, 28 black based and 2 duns that could have been black or red. I counted the brown as black. Since both her parents were black based horses, she could be homozygous for black and not carry a red gene. Or one of them could have passed a recessive red gene and the other passed their dominant black gene and she could be heterzygous carrying both black and red. I can't wait till you get your results!

Buckskin is a black base, with Agouti to distribute the black to the points and changes the body color, cream modifies the body color - so a buckskin = black base + Agouti + cream

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having to save up for the test. I dont have enough for all that I have to test her for and I also cant get the Dun Zygosity because it requires DNA from one parent and the privious owners of Honey sold her momma and the stallion doesnt belong to them either. So yeah Im gonna have to skip that test.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well - she definately has the gene and if she didn't come from two Duns she can only carry one copy so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, she is so young, you have lots of time to get her color tested.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Im unsure of how she will be registered. Either Dun or Buckskin. The previous owners are doing all of that stuff for me. I should know what color is on her papers within 6-8 weeks by then I really have to get her tested so that way if she is a Grullo I can send the test results to the AQHA and have her color changed

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok another question... Is it normal for a mare Honey's age to have a heat? She is in season right now and being a little witchy. She was born March of 2008 so she is about 14 months old (depending on the day she was born)

Deb Anderson
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her dam and sire should have DNA testing on record if she is registered QH. When I registered our foal 2 years ago - I freaked out trying to figure out how to get the DNA testing done and found out it was already DNA verified at AQHA. Just a thought. I called and talked to them and they were very helpful to get through the process. Good luck - she is beautiful!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the reason it is taking so long to get her papers done. Her previous owner lost the DNA sample from her dam and sold her, She is getting the sample again from the dams new owner and then sending it. You think they will test the sire for the dun gene? I dont think the mare has it so it would have to be the sire

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well everyone "Honey" is doing quite well with me.She is very active and keeping weight, I have actually had to cut her feed back do to excessive weight gain. I was wondering if there are any trainers that are in mid/southern Oklahoma or around Wichita Falls,TX. This filly has NO ground manners at all and is proving difficult to work with due to me not having the proper area to work her in.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a round pen? I would also look at the protein level of her feed if she is too hyper.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont have a round pen or an arena. The feed protine is only 12% she was getting 16% with the people I got her from

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US