SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare losing weight

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Mare losing weight « Previous Next »

Brandy McWaters
Neonate
Username: Brandy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been working for a lady for almost a year, and the deal was instead of paying me cash I'd work for a mare that last seen the stallion on 7/13/08. The mare arrived at my place on 3/19/09 she was fat and sassy.
This is the picture of her on her first day at my place..
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/aggeyleftside.jpg

Well about two weeks ago she started to loss weight. I've increased the amount of feed she gets and I've been able to keep her from losing any more weight but she hasnít gained any. She's also had some diarrhea off and on since I got her. I've called the vet but because of the bad rain and how backed up he is he's been unable to come out.
Here are some pictures that I toke of her today..
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/DSCN0066.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/DSCN0070.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/DSCN0068.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/DSCN0067.jpg

Any idea's on what I should do?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very pretty girl, but you are right to question this - she has lost some weight. What kind of feed is she on and what was she on? You definately have to increase the amount of feed for preg mares in the last couple of months. I would ask the previous owner about the diarrhea to determine her history. How about her teeth? Have they been floated in the last year?

Brandy McWaters
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well lets see I did have her on a new feed for my area made by Front Runner. Here is the link to that web site.
http://www.frontrunnerhorse.com/phase2.php

But the lady I got her from flipped and insisted that I not feed her a pelleted type feed. After breeding horses for over 40 years she a little old fashioned about many things and types of feed is her big thing. So I switched her to a sweet feed, that I just hate to feed her but she seems to be doing better, and its the same type she was on. Best that I can think of is that the Front Runner feed isnít a high quality feed as the lady at the feed store claimed.

She gets about a gallon of feed twice a day I also add Mare Plus to her feed. She gets hay, two slabs twice a day. That hay is a Alfalfa orchard grass mix and seems to be of good quality.

To help with the diarrhea I gave her some diarsanly so Iím keeping my fingers crossed for that to stop.

Its been about a year since her teeth have been done. But just incase Iíve made an appointment with my Ferrier that not only trims hoofs but floats teeth also. One stop shop!

I'll keep eveyone updated

(Message edited by brandy on May 15, 2009)

Robin
Breeding Stock
Username: 1horselady

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a thought but Orchard grass gives my mare the runs. Is the hay new to her?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you have it under control - doesn't sound like that feed has what she needs although I don't think is has anything to do with being a pellet

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would continue what you are doing but give her unlimited hay ...........

Brandy McWaters
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to find out it was the clover mix that was giving her diarrhea. I'm happy to say she gave birth to a very nice colt.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/DSCF0170.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/amuroth/DSCF0175.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a pretty boy! I am so happy you found the cause. When was he born?

Brandy McWaters
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was born on the 23rd at around 1:30 in the morning :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Handsome Colt! Congratulations!! Mare looks like she is glad that's over!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She still appears to be on the thin side...I would free feed her at this time.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brandy. First, congrats on your healthy colt! He's a good looking boy.

Glad the diarrhea is under control. You probably already know that the foal can get diarrhea during your mare's "foal" heat.

Now, I'm no expert, but this is what I've found with my horses.

My horse hated pellets and would not eat enough of them while pregnant, so I switched back to sweet feed, but I agree, there are issues with it, especially if they are overweight to begin with.

Now, I've come across an LMF brand feed that has supplements in it. It is great for the pregnant (not sure about nursing mare-yet) and it is pelleted feed that both my mares chow down on and ask for more. I am feeding grass hay, at present.

You only need to give them one pound once per day, early on in the pregnancy. It has all the nutritional supplements they need. This is all just FYI, if you want to try a pelleted feed again.

I would also recommend you give alfalfa during the last few months of pregnancy, and while she is nursing. It should put on weight. Of course, your vet can advise.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slightly off topic, but pertinent: Dream has always been an easy keeper and can get little chuncky if I don't pay attention. She dropped all of her baby weight almost immediately and a little too fast for my preference. I upped her feed and over time she is now eating 3 times what she was pre pregnancy (Omelene 300) with 10 hours of good pasture grass! Her weight is perfect, probably the best overall condition she ever gets. The last baby didn't pull this much from her so it is just interesting that even this has to be monitored from preg to preg.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US