SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Injectable Regumate

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Injectable Regumate « Previous Next »

Janelle Scherman
Neonate
Username: Janelle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All!

Well after 17 years of riding and owning horses, the day has come...I own a mare who is not so pleasant to be around in heat.

I am interest in hearing peoples experiences with BET lab's IM altrenogest and which they prefer, the 30 day or 12 day. I know all my other options (I run a equine vet clinic) but have had no clients who have yet tried the this formulation...look forward to hearing from you ...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we're a reproductive facility, we haven't used the BET Pharm biorelease altrenogest to suppress estrus, but we have used the 12-day formulation to synchronize mares successfully for embryo transfer. I also know the chap that developed the biorelease carrier personally, and would feel comfortable saying that I have little doubt that the 30-day formulation should work as effectively.

Janelle Scherman
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What percentage of mares had a reaction? Was it just a local reaction? How long until it resolved (if you did experience this)? I am going to shoot her up with some Medroxyprogesterone this month, results are so variable but it's the cheapest and if works...I won't questions it...this will allow me time to research the BET lab formulation(s).
The rep I spoke to said there were less reactions with the 30 day it just gets so expensive to ship it!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have seen probably 25-30% reaction at the injection site - not systemic. Resolution of swelling was usually 3-4 days.

FWIW, the latest research - Jan. '09 (Storer W.A., Thompson Jr D.L., Gilley R.M., Burns P.J.; (2009) Evaluation of Injectable Sustained Release Progestin Formulations for Suppression of Estrus and Ovulation in Mares; Jour. Equine Vet. Sci.: 29:1; 33-36) - indicates that Medroxyprogesterone acetate (Depo-provera) had no impact on suppression of cyclicity (the abstract can be viewed here), which was what McKinnon et. al. found in 2000. A more detailed paper can be found on the BET Pharm web site (at that link location).

Janelle Scherman
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it doesn't suppress estrus however I have clients that swear by it...what it does and how it does it and weather it not its a placebo ... who knows!

We don't promote here, we stand by our Regumate however, some clients like to do their own thing, and if it works for them and isn't harmful that's fine with me. That study you sent they only gave the mares 1600mg of Medroxy. We give out clients 2000mg and I just gave my mare 6000mg has from speaking with other vets a 30ml vial of 200mg/ml was what they found to help out in SOME mares...according to the clients that is!

I thought I would do a bit of my own experiment since we had some on the shelf about to expire in 2 weeks and until my order of BET lab came in (I still can't decide between the two)...haven't received a phone call from the barn so I am assuming she hasn't sluffed her skin and she is still standing...the true test (riding her) awaits, but honestly I really doubt I will see a change in her...at all...

This is my first mare that I have ever had a problem with. I don't even know that it is hormonal that is causing her problem. I had placed her on Pentosan (another one of my experiments) and a different feed all in the same week that I noticed the change. It was just so sudden last week. We changed her feed back and I pulled her off the Pentosan and she still was a devil (actually got worse) so my next step is to rule out hormonal. I bought the mare in October and she has always been an ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL up until last week! Any other ideas or feedback would be great. I haven't spoken much with any vets here but honestly repo is their least favorite area (thus why I consulted outside the clinic) they are into sports medicine, etc. I thought about having an ultrasound done on her to see where she was in her cycle but...I opted not.

Would May even be a time to see this in a mare without any signs prior? I always thought I would notice her being an A** in the spring! I don't know a lot about breeding but I know the few AI's we have done it was early in the year...this would be really late to breed.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about trying an intra-uterine marble? It has been demonstrated to work for up to 90 days in some mares, and if it does work, it's a far cheaper solution!

Let me know how you make out with your various experiments... interesting! :-)

Janelle Scherman
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed an error on my type before, I did not inject 6000mg but was willing to go to that extent with blood draws to monitor her levels. I did inject the 2000mg and two days later I returned and I have my horse back. She was the SWEETEST ANGEL again (black and white, night and day) and has remained that way thus far. However, I do not know if it was coincidence because I was about a week out from her displaying her atypical and mareish behavior. We will have to wait another month to see! I did think about the marbles and I know the one vet here has some and is willing to do it, I personally am just uncomfortable with placing a marble in my horse lol...

Diane S
Neonate
Username: Diane_s

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am considering Regumate or the 30 day IM Biorelease to suppress estrus in my performance mare this competition season. Do we know if there is any negative impact on the mare's future fertility after months of using the Biorelease?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2866
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has not been any reported problem with long-term use of Regumate, the active ingredient of which is altrenogest - the same drug as is in the biorelease formulation. The biorelease aspect merely precludes the need for daily dosing. Localised swelling at the injection site has been reported with some mares receiving the biorelease altrenogest formulation, but this is transient.

As with any progestin therapy however, there is always a suppression of uterine immune response, and a potential therefore for endometritis in the event that there is a pathogen present in the uterus at the time of treatment with the progestin (it doesn't matter what progestin is used, the same applies in all cases). It is therefore strongly recommended that the mare be confirmed as pathogen-free with a culture and cytology prior to commencement of treatment.

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering what the average cost is of a 30 day IM Biorelease dose?? Thanks! (And where to get it if not from my vet?)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your vet can get it for you from BET Pharmacy, so you will have to ask your vet what the cost is. It is a prescription item.

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'm checking into it.. seems less of a pain if you can avoid daily Regumate dosing for a performance horse (or any horse!). I feel your pain Janelle! I have an angel mare if I keep her hormones in check too!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US