SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Wee-Foal Urine Test and Palpation for 2 yr old mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Wee-Foal Urine Test and Palpation for 2 yr old mare « Previous Next »

Kim Nichols
Neonate
Username: Kim_aqha

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this site and am looking for some information!

I bought a quarter horse filly in September of last year, so I have owned her for 8 months.

For the last 3-4 months I have been questioning if she may be pregnant. There was a stallion and a stud colt on the property at her PREVIOUS home so it is possible she could have been bred.

My mares belly seem to keep gettin wider and lower. She has recently become sensitive to you picking up and messing with her back legs.

So, I did some research and ordered a Wee-Foal Urine test. To my surprise the test was very positive (one line). I followed the directions exactly....

I had my vet out yesterday and he palpated her and says he's not sure. Her left side of the uterus felt normal but felt to be a different shape on the right side.

He also says he has not palpated a mre in a while so he is going to come back in 30 days since he could not give me a 100% "not in foal" or "in foal".

I seriously think my mare is pregnant. She looks and acts pregnant, not to mention I have never seen her go into heat.

She would be a minimum of 8 months along.

My mare turned 2 years old in February and is short for he age and breeding but is very "stocky" and has a HUGE belly!

I was told by a friend that palpation at 8 months may not be accurate as the fetus has slipped under the pelvic bone?

I am not a breeder and do not have much knowledge in this area so I couldn't respond to this....

So my questions are, how accurate would palation be at this point? Should I treat her as pregnant until the vet comes back out in 30 days?

I have also ordered another Wee-Foal test from a different company, so we'll see how that turns out.

I'm just worried because this mare is my baby and because she is so young (and small for her age) I am worried about the risks!

I hope this made sense, but it is 1am here so I'm very tired and I apologize if it was a bit scattered!

Also, my vet says that because she is small (short at only 13.3hands) and young that the fetus could be small as well and in a position that may not be easy to feel.

Thanks in advance!

Kim
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone??????????????

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim - Can you post some pictures of her? If she is bred, you have about 3 1/2 months to go. Make sure you are feeding her good and it wouldn't her to vaccinate her for Rhino. Normally we give our bred mares Rhino vaccine at 3, 5 and 7 months, but it wouldn't hurt to get at least 1 into her. Also, about 30 days prior to her due date, she should be vaccinated for tetanus, WNV, and any other vaccinations your vet recommends.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your friend is right about palpation being tricky at this stage. At any rate, I'd have another vet ultrasound to see what's going on. Wee foal is very accurate at this stage as well. I'd treat her as though she were bred until you know for sure.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim, Welcome aboard! You will love the ride! I agree with Diana and go with the wee foal test and perhaps ask around or call you local Equine Hospital for a vet referral to someone who is good with reproduction. I am in California, Southern...the LA area...I have a really great repo vet...where are you?

Kim
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you thank you thank you for your responses! I appreciate it a LOT!

Here are some pictures of my girl Lily.
Her color has changed a LOT as well :-)

They are in order, and at the end is a picture of her wee-foal test.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/Lily6b4.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/Lily5b4.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/4Lily.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/3Lily.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/2Lily.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/1Lily.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/kimmyy14/Test2.jpg

(Message edited by kim_aqha on April 30, 2009)

Robin
Breeding Stock
Username: 1horselady

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep looks like that belly is growing, but she could just be gaining weight, if she is only two and not growing taller as much then the food may just be adding some fat instead of working for her to get taller.
But with a growing belly and a positive preg test, sounds like you got a 2 for one deal.

Poor thing, i personally think that is way to young to be having a baby. But she looks healthy and sounds like you are taking care of her. I will be curious what the vet says next month. But yes treat her like she is pregnant just to be safe.

good luck!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very pretty filly :-) She is young but she should do fine with proper feeding and care...you really want to get her on a good feed/ mare and foal and vitamins because she is growing and a baby is growing. The foal maybe be smaller at birth but genetically it will grow to what it will grow regardless of the size at birth. Most maiden mares foals are smaller. Start reading and educating yourself I would suggest the book Blessed are the Broodmares...There is a lot of information on this site. Ask lots of questions :-) At least you have a few months to make sure she is getting everything she needs in her diet. Although it is a surprise it is still fun....where are you in California?

Kim
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! I am in the bay area, about 40 minutes south of San francisco.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I just foaled out a young mare also. Good feed, good hay and she did just fine. I am also guessing she is bred. If she is about 8 months its hard to see he big changes in her tummy but it will soon be very apparent.
If possible get a good ares set up separate for her to foal in and add a camera as you want to be sure to be there to help just in case.
Learn as much as you can, Diana helped me a bunch because foaling young maiden can be a bit tricky, so feel free to ask her (or me) as many questions as you can think of.
Do you have any time frame of when she may have been covered?
Another thing to do is to order milk test strips so you can check her milk that will also aid in time of foaling.
Best Wishes

Jean-Mari
Weanling
Username: Reggie123

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi just want to no if the Wee foal test was right and if you mare did indeed foal? Thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US