SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What a mess.. Help?!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » What a mess.. Help?! « Previous Next »

AML
Neonate
Username: Goosie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my mare about a month ago, she's a 17 year old racking horse who was extremely thin, had a major eye infection as a result of an untreated eye trauma, and such severe thrush that her rear hoof still bleeds on and off. In short, a mess and a half. I was told then that she was open, and I was happy with that, she was going to just be a pet and trail horse once she picked up weight.

This is her when I got her (yes, saddle marks, they rode her hard the day before.)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/ouchiesandmare008.jpg

And a couple weeks later, looking much better with good feeding and care...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/newlucy002.jpg

Yesterday I noticed she has a belly, thought maybe a hay belly, but she's also got a bag thats a lot more than it was a few week ago...

Belly:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/udder013.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/udder004.jpg

Udder yesterday:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/udder009.jpg

Udder today, much firmer, warmer, bigger. I can get a drop at most of clear, thin liquid from it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/udder2002.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/udder2004.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/udder2005.jpg

Anyway, having seen all this, I emailed the horse trader this mare came from and asked if she could possibly have been bred. Apparently, they bought her from someone who said she'd been bred to a jack and was due to foal soon, but they no signs of pregnancy (of course no vet check) so they sold her to me without bothering to mention it. I have not been able to get the vet out yet, so i'm just trying to see whats what to ease my mind beforehand... Is she looking pregnant to you guys? If so, how far along would you guess? I'm very worried, she's been on fescue hay until yesterday, none of the breeding mare vaccinations or anything... I have never bred anything, nor owned or been around pregnant mares so this is a first for me.

Around her tail head, she is squishy, but only a very narrow area- about an inch out on each side from the tail itself. She spends a lot of time sleeping stretched out on her side, but then she does have hoof issues so I can imagine she's wanting some relief from that.

Her belly is very round at the bottom, but from the side she just looks fat to me, although she is not fat, and you can see her topline remains quite bony.

I'm needing to know how long i have, I have hot wire fences, nowhere safe for a foal to be! I'm in a lather over this, for sure.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi AML, she looks in foal, a bit thin but still in foal. You are doing a great job on her though, she's looking much better from the photo of when you bought her. The udder shots look like an udder close to foaling. The best thing is to get the vet as soon as possible. I'd be thinking she looks like she'll foal pretty soon. Have you any stable she can foal in? Don't worry too much about the vaccines. You can give the foal a tetanus shot after the mare has foaled. As for the fescue hay I don't know much about that as we don't have it in Ireland.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with with Ad TB...consult a vet ASAP and advice them that she has been on fescue...Let us know what they say....

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML, I agree the first thing to do is go get a vet to check her. She does look pregnant, but these rescue mares tend to gain weight in a way that makes them look preg so you probably just need to confirm. If he confirms her pregnant, there still may be time to provide the vaccinations. Also, he can treat her with doperidome for the fescue consumption which will usually resolve the milk production issue. There are some other fescue concerns, but the doperidome has had great results with those, also. It sounds like you have done some research already. There is a lot of information regarding fescue in pregnant mares available on the internet.

She does look much better and she is lucky to have found you. Please keep us advised.

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there... Vet was out, said she could go tonight, or in 3 weeks. The baby is huge, and active. He says alfalfa cubes are not good enough, and she needs hay NOW to get her milk to come in, but I can't find anything in my area that isn't fescue, and I don't get paid till wed. I'm panicking. He yelled at me for awhile, pretty much told me I was a moron and to give the mare away.

I didn't know she was bred, or I'd never have fed her fescue. i would have had time to prepare if I'd only known...

He did nothing to treat her for the fescue, said if when the foal is born, she is still only producing clear watery stuff, to call him asap and we'd have to bottle feed the baby. What a mess.

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont worry about the vet She has some nerve yelling at you. Ha- I should yell at the 3 vets that couldn't detect a pregnancy - two of them used Ultra sound. Do the best you can - She obviously is way better off with you than the other- Can you borrow some hay - tell them the situation & tell them you get paid shortly & maybe they will cut you some slack. Maybe the vet knows where you can get some hay. I'm in SW Georgia - are you near me - I've got some

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in NC, and no, no one I know has anything but fescue, and even if I find something safe, I don't have a cent on me till Wed. I paid the vet with a check he knows has to be held till wed. Bad stuff, I didn't plan for this and I am not prepared. I've got most of my tack for sale on Ebay, hope it sells fast so I can get the stuff miss Lucy will need.

This is a nightmare for me...

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML...Okay take a deep breath......Okay..vet is a JERK! Yelling at you is not helping the situation! Do you have access to Alfalfa cubes? There is nothing wrong with feeding her alfalfa cubes....until hay can be gotten..From the looks of her I do not thing she is as ready to go as your vet does....so quitting the fescue is important..you need to try and network a little...perhaps call the feed store explain your situation they too may take a post dated check...He should have treated her for the fescue but perhaps since she is forming a bag and does have some clear liquid she was not exposed as much as you thought. Usually fescue means no bag...no milk...a thick placenta...You do need to keep track of her progress and try to have some one in attendance when she delivers...she could possibly deliver a "red bag" which will need some assistant. I really encourage you to contact the feed store talk to people..you will be surprised by the wealth of information and how willing people would be to help your situation...so sorry but do not panick or lose heart..your horse needs you to try your best that is all any of us can really do...

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you find some hay- whats your e-address - I can send you 20 buck- that should help till Wed.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...that vet is a jerk. Most vets would admire what you are trying to do for this mare. Did he disagree with the doperidome or just not discuss it as an option? I know it costs money, but is there another vet? Sounds like that one needs to drop the equine end of his practice. How about this - do you have any breding farms around - even if you don't know them - horse people like to help other horse people out. Since fescue is so common in the southeast, I am sure they have alternate hay sources. Where in NC are you located? There is probably someone on this board from that area.

Lastly, you did not do this to this mare and regardless of what she still needs, she is much better off with you.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, jusding by the pics, it looks like the grass is plentiful. If that grass is fescue free, it should provide the forage she needs.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML, I agree with everyone. Some people obviously hate their jobs and take it out on people like you. It's not you're problem he's a jerk. I think the best think to do is to call into some local farms or feed stores. If anyone near me needed anything in an emergency I'd have no problem helping them. You'll find somebody who'll give you good hay.

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try and answer everything here...

The grass is also fescue, so she's on a dry lot. I found a neighbor who will let me keep her and the foal in her wood fenced paddock, which is great.

The vet never mentioned any treatment for the fescue, just said her her on hay immediately, then proceeded to tell me a horror story of thousands of dollars to give synthetic colostrum to the baby and plasma and everything else. He really made me panic.

Jane, my email is alesovoy@yahoo.com, but please do not feel obligated to help me out, this is my own mess and I'll work it out somehow.

I've been out looking at her all day, she's extra grumpy today, and shifting around a lot, putting her tail up..ect... Going to keep her close to the house so I can watch her.

I'm just praying both momma and baby make it through this ok.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice and support.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML: I am certainly NOT encouraging fescue hay feeding, but I have fed fescue to my pregnant mares and have not had any issues to date. Now, with that said, I'm NOT saying that is the safest way to go. I would definately make sure that you are increasing her feed base with good quality feed and the best in hay you can find. Fescue can have endophyte issues but not ALL fescue is ridden with it. I use a great equine veterinary clinic and since fescue is that standard pasture mix in our area, they don't panic easily over it. In fact, my vet said last year that over all the years of practice he's been in, foaling issues seem to run in patterns with weather conditions. He's seen fescue cause havoc everywhere one year and then it can go several years before he even sees anyone with issues that revolve around fescue.

There are risks with fescue, ie: red bagging, no milk development, etc. But if you know they are on fescue, you can prepare yourself for those events.

I would seriously make sure you have a veterinarian who is going to support you through this and not judge you on it. They can give her medication to bring her milk in, they can certainly arm you with medications for the foal in the case that you have a nursing issue immediately after foaling, and you may just have to make that extra commitment to make sure you are available (or at least someone is around all the time) from now until foaling to do the best you can in the event you have a foal in trouble.

With a bit of good luck on your side, you may get through this with no problems at all. Sounds like you certainly deserve it for your good will to bring this mare around.

There are several methods to help baby in the event you have a colostrum/plasma issue. You can actually put them on an antibiotic program for the first few weeks in order to prevent them from issues regarding immunity, its not as effective as blood transfusions (yes, which are costly, I was quoted last year that it was $150 a "bag") but it is certainly less expensive and is a possible viable middle-of-the-road solution for those of us who aren't made of green.

She's doing well so far...I wouldn't worry too much until you HAVE to. You may just sail right through this.

There are also plenty of people on here who have had to give their foals colostrum. You can order it direct to save on the expense.

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope all is well - You should check your e-mail . It should help you till Wed. . Your e-mail was an automated response/ Man you have enough on your plate. Keep us posted - Good Luck with eveything

Jane

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a wonderful woman with high quality alfalfa! And thanks to Jane, I have $20 to get some! Thank you so much Jane, I so appreciate it.

It's so hard when you don't expect a situation like this, I had no time to prepare so it's a step at a time.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news AML you're doing great, you've found somewhere to foal the mare and good hay all in a few hours. Jane what a nice thing to do.

Rusti - Chilli due 4-09
Yearling
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML, welcome to the board and glad to hear things are working out for you. Keep us updated, wishing you and your new mare the very best and can't wait to see the baby!

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, thats one hurdle down - Let us know how things are going. Glad I could help a little. Someday I might need it

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hay should be coming sometime today, both Alfalfa and some timothy bales. I'll pick up mare and foal feed tomorrow when I get paid, and I'm watching her like a hawk. hardly slept last night I was so nervous! She's been pacing around all night and this morning, stopping to stand like a foundered horse, raising her tail... But I think we still have a few days to go.

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey amber,

If you dont mind my asking- what does timothy & alfalfa go for by you. A 72 lb bale of alfalfa is 25.00 & we have coastal bermuda here at $5.00 a sq. bale.

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird, my replies here don't always seem to post...?

I'm not sure on alfalfa, maybe $14 a bale? Small bales. Timothy is around $7 a bale.

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That happen to me yesterday too. I though I lost my mind

Bridgette Lanham
Nursing Foal
Username: Blanham

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane, I just logged on to see your post. Where are u located in NC? I am in upstate SC, not far from the NC line. I have some T&A bales that you could have. Let me know where you are located.

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bridgette, did you mean me?

I'm too far away, I'm in central NC, the piedmont triad area near Winston Salem and Greensboro. Thank you though ( :

Lucy is acting odd today, lots of pacing, then standing and sleeping. Lots of tail lifting. When I touch her buttcheek, she clamps her tail over my hand like to keep it there, and rubs her rear end on me. She's being something of a hussy! Is this normal? After she peed earlier, I noticed she was winking too, like she's in heat?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML - check your email - I sent you a message also

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys on this board are really wonderful, I cannot thank you enough for the advice, support, and everything. ( :

If anyone's looking for tack, I've got some stuff up on Ebay pretty cheap, to raise extra funds for the foal's possible needs. My username there is pn_mia_k531, get a great deal on hoof boots and a saddle set!

I thought Lucy's water had broken earlier, so i ran out in socks.. Turns out she peed and i only saw the last little spurt, so sadly I came back to the house in socks that smell of horse urine, LOL.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear u had a little comic relief in this. Laughter is good for the soul!

AML
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh it gets better. Had to run to Walmart for foaling supplies, and I left the socks on, being the weirdo I am! Halfway there, hubby says "what on earth is that stench?" and I said.. "uhhh... pregnant mare urine?"

Clearly the man cannot appreciate that running out to check the mare was more important than my socks!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely understand the logic!

AML
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought we were going to have a baby last night around 2, she was lying down so I went out to check on her, petted her awhile then she tried to get up, bounced back down, and made it up on the 2nd effort. Her udder is a little bigger this morning, but not really even warm and can't get anything out of it. however, she is more sensitive now, and barely tolerates me even photo'ing it. Her vulva is sort of looser, definitely gaping open. Baby is flailing around in there like mad. I don't know what to think- I would hate to order the (I forget the name again) drug that would bring her milk in if she doesn't need it, but if she's close to foaling, then obviously she may need some help with the milk supply. I'm going to get some colostrum this morning, as well as bottle feeding supplies just in case.

Belly pic:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/wedudder002.jpg

Udder:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/wedudder003.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/wedudder001.jpg

Squishy butt

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/wedudder004.jpg

Vulva (sorry about the yucky poop on her, she's still passing lubricant and manure from the palp I guess.)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/PaintedAcresStables/wedudder005.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the rest of the story is probably that she slept comfortably the rest of the night while you stared at her from your window!

The fact that she has any udder development is a good sign. I know there are 2 kinds of fescue. The original fescue was considered a "wonder grass" until the pregnancy problems were linked to it, a modified version was introduced years later that does not cause nearly as many issues and some mares are not effected. The problem is that the original fescue is so hardy it continues to survive.

Have you been able to make any horse contacts in your area? If so, what are they saying regarding your local fescue?

AML
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet seemed fairly sure the fescue would mess her up good... No one seems to know if the hay here is safe or not, however she's also been grazing on my fescue pasture, and I can almost guarantee it has the endophyte, it's all original fescue, no one has done any maintenance on the grass.

I do know that a lot of these backyard breeder types with fences made of lawn furniture feed fescue and they seem to have healthy babies.. But then my luck, we'll have tons of issues.

Just a game of wait and see I suppose. Mare is trying to make me nuts, she's lying out there asleep and I have spend half the day in the bathroom peeking between the blinds at her.

Andrea Barnes
Nursing Foal
Username: Pf_pony

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's been proven that God looks after fools! I've never understood it, but idiot people who don't care seem to have luck of the Irish!

Good luck on your mare and healthy foal vibes going your way!

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML, she looks great, you've done a fantastic job in improving her condition. well done. I think she's getting a decent sized udder. Keep us posted. Sending you luck of the Irish!!

AML
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm worried as anything, am at my son's Occupational Therapy, hubby is watching the mare though he doesn't know how to so much as halter a horse. We're only here for an hour, but I just know that the rotten girl will wait till a bad moment to foal.

Around 2 she started pacing a lot more, raising her tail up high every few minutes, stretching her hind legs and squirming around, biting her sides. It increased a lot until about 4, and I watched her all that time, then she started to eat her hay and stopped lifting her tail so I figured I might get lucky.

My husband is sitting there under orders to call if that mare so much as lifts her tail again. I'm just SO scared of going out and missing the birth and finding a foal that suffocated in the sac.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 810
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amber - I sent you a list of breeding farms within one hour of you - check your email - if nothing else, they may be able to offer you some peace of mind...

Angela Barbour
Breeding Stock
Username: Palominomare2006

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AMIL I have to said your doing a great job and your mare has a nice size bag. Please keep us updated

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AML - we do need an update!

AML
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, been busy... This foal needs to hurry up, the situation may end up the end of my marriage :-(

Still no baby, however today she was up and down a lot, and all last night she slept laying in the same spot, kind of unusual.

Vulva is a little looser, though it seemed to have tightened back up a couple days ago. udder is bigger, still clean, thin liquid coming out but a greater quantity. Her back left leg is smeared all over with some dried up liquid- could it be milk? I have not seen her drip any milk though...

Lots of peeing, lots of stretching. Some side biting and kicking at belly, but not much. Lots of shifting back legs as she rests. Much more nervous and grumpy.

I don't know what to think.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that first part is over dramatized...it could be milk or the mucous plug or even fesces if her stool is really loose. Dream went through a phase of being very gasy, but it also had liquid...I know...yuck... and it was on her back legs. It does sound like she is progressing and given the fescue situation, she may do better to hold on to that baby a little longer. I will keep your family in our prayers.

AML
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be sweat on her legs- it's not anything with an obvious color. Not poop, for sure. She's got pretty solid poop still. And eating like a woman possessed.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US