SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Are we going to have a foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Are we going to have a foal? « Previous Next »

Angel Leigh
Neonate
Username: Leigh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have been reading everyones posts from years back on here trying to find answers and finally decided to post.
We bought our son a horse last August (7 months ago) she is now 4 and has never had a foal..and no reason to think she would. She came from a very nice ranch where they had two stallions kepts nice and far from the mares....but still???
Anyway my son and I were grooming her the other day and I was washing her underside and noticed that she has discharge from her udders when I was washing them. Never happened before..I was thinking Mastitis or something ...she got a scrape (pretty bad one) that evening and I went to the vet he put her on antibiotics and gave me a tetanus booster to give her. I figure that she has been on antibiotics for 5 days and no sign of clearing up if its an infection. I have been checking her everyday and my sons usually very docile sweet horse kicked at me when I touched her belly by her flank. Her discharge doesnt look like milk it is amber/honey colored and thick. i have never had a mare in foal and am not sure what to do..the vet is coming in 1 1/2 weeks to do a followup on her cut and to see if she is in foal. (we live far from the vet)
I am going to add a link to pics..PLEASE help me...I took pics of her udders and vulva and put a full body shot in as well as a slimmer her in October of last year. I look forward to hearing back Thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36720959@N08/?saved=1

Angel Leigh
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the link I added didnt work so I made an account a photobucket...hopefully they wont delete my horses "personal area" pics before you all get to see them..(i saw that had happened before haha)
http://s651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/leightn/?newest=1

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel...very pretty mare :-) I am glad that you are having a vet out..It's knid of hard to tell..but she does look like she is developing an udder....Have you contacted the former owners to see if there was any chance she could have been exposed to the stallion?

Angel Leigh
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan, Thank you for your reply...I have read alot about you :-) And thank you for the nice compliment Caliente is a Zebra Dun QH and the sweetest natured girl..
Yes I sent her former owner an email as soon as I saw the discharge so I would have an idea of what I might be dealing with....but no response yet..I will have to look up their number I guess. They live in another State and we traveled a good ways to get my son his "dream horse" We visited the ranch twice and the Stallions (two of them..one was half brother to my sons mare and he was only 1 1/2..the other was a HUGE 17 hand black medicine hat paint and was the dad to the other stallion ) were put on the outskirts of the land seperately with 8 foot fencing. But where theres a will there a way I hear haha
Today Caliente is biting at her sides and it raining but she wont go into the barn..there are 4 12x12 stalls in the barn and from what I have read that isnt big enough if she is preg. If she were in foal would it be safe to have it in the rain? I separated her from our other mare and gelding when I found the discharge (just in case) she is in a paddock where she can still see and communicate with the other horses but at a safe distance. Also I was thinking back on the time since we got her and she hasnt "winked" at our gelding like our other mare and he sometimes tries to mount the other mare but never Caliente........I am scared to death affraid she is preg...when I was 8 my pony and foal died during birth and thats why I have never bred a mare. I went to the barn first thing every morning to my lookout up in the loft and loooked out over the pasture and there they were- the foal only halfway out.i ran home and got my mom but it was over......very traumatic. I would love to have a little filly or colt running around and have rescued a couple foals over the years so I could watch them grow.
With Calientes bloodlines I am sure it would be a gorgeous smart baby...but still hoping maybe its just hormones....

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Angel...kind of hard to tell but if she is, I don't think she's imminent in foaling. Can you take a few more pictures of her whole body from the each side, the front and the back. That would help.

Pretty mare. I have a Zebra Buckskin AQHA Gelding that could be her look-alike.

Angel Leigh
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I was reading more and decided to go check her again and take pics to keep track of changes if there are any.
The last pics are from 5 days ago and these are today. Now she isnt leaking as much from the touch from her teats on one side there is a coating its kind of yellowish and thick..the other side is open and now the liquid is more clear than honey/amber colored. There is some swelling that is pretty noticeable.
Her back end doesnt look a whole lot different except that its like having a toddler because she keeps needing wiped...her stool is loose and greener than Ive seen. Not runny but a little like cow poo the way it clumps instead of balls. I know when Im on antibiotics it changes things so maybe that is what is happening to her.
Also she is worrying me about not wanting to go into the barn..I dont want to stall her becasue the stalls are only 12x12 but I hate seeing her stand out in the rain.
Today when I went to her she was standing with her head down..kinda looked like eyore haha.... when she saw me she cheered up and got lively she has been rubbing her nose on everything and yawning maybe not sleeping well from being in the rain.....any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Heres the link to todays pics.......
http://s651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/leightn/Caliente%203-27-09/

Robin
Weanling
Username: 1horselady

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel. I understand your stress. I bought a mare in '08 and she was showing the same sings, yellow from her teats, drooping vulva and she seemed to be growing larger by the day. Former owner swore up and down that there was no chance she was in foal. I couldn't handle the stress so I called the vet out to do a scan. No foal! Thank goodness! Vet said it was common for some mares during a heat cycle to drip from the teats, couldn't really give me a medical reason, just happens. If your mare is having a "slient" heat cycle that could explain the dripping as well as why she was upset you touching her sides. My other mare was so uncomfortable during her cycles, they caused her a lot of pain and there was always 3-5 days a month that she hated even being brushed.
If she is pregnant can you take out the divider between one of your stalls to make it a 12x24, that would give her plenty of room. One other idea is to take a measuring tape and measure her belly every other day. In the last month of my mares pregnancy it grew a little bit every day.

michelle loring
Yearling
Username: Paintedmini1

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I foaled out my paint mare in a 12x12 stall and it was plenty big enough!!! I would not hesitate at all...if you think she is ready, STALL HER!!!

Angel Leigh
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Robin...I am hoping that is all that is going on with my sons mare...can you tell me how long she had the discharge at a time? Was it only during heat or did it happen more often...We do not have a divider that is removable between stalls but if I find she is expecting we will do a little reconstruction if possible for her.

Thanks Michelle for telling me 12x12 was big enough for you if we cant do the "de"construction for some reason its a relief to know your mare did fine in a 12x12. Hopefully its just a heat cycle.
I appreciate everyones answers and help :-)

Robin
Yearling
Username: 1horselady

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel, my mare had the discharge for about 7 days.

I don't want to start a huge debate on stall size, I just do think its important to take everything into consideration. Talk to your vet and or other experienced breeders in your area, have him/her look at it and help you make the decision. Though hopefully this is just hormones....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US