SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant or just fat?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant or just fat? « Previous Next »

Stephanie Pure
Neonate
Username: Milly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there guys, I just found this forum and figured you might be able to help me out!

I have a TB mare I rescued from the doggers. I have had her for nearly 8 months, she was skinny and bony when I got her, but put on weight and settled down well. In the past month she has absolutely ballooned out though, with no increase in her feed, and we have barely any grass. I ride her 3 or 4 times each week, only fairly lightly as it is just pleasure plodding lol.

I have had people asking whether she is pregnant because of her big hanging belly. She was wormed 3 weeks ago, and is done regularly every 6 to 8 weeks. If she was preggers, she would have to be about 9ish months at least to fit in with the dates i got her...

I plan on getting her checked by the vet just incase, and I have a wee tester kit thing to do as well, but figured I would ask around and see what people thought from some belly photos.

Here is a link to the piccies I put up:

http://bushcapital.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=2144.0

So what do you reckon?

Robin
Weanling
Username: 1horselady

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its really hard to tell in the photo. Her teats look like she has foaled before and if she was minimum 8-9 months pregnant then probably too early to see any bagging. Have you seen her go into heat yet this year?

Here is my TB mare at 10 months to compare, she is maiden.
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/1horselady/Luna%20Pregnancy/IMG_0810.jpg[/IMG]

A scan costs under $70 in my area, not sure with your vet. It would be worth knowing. There are extra things that pregnant mares need. I would also be concerned on the type of wormer you have been giving her if she is pregnant, some are bad for baby.
Good luck and keep us posted if she is pregnant!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a vet check would be in order. It is hard to tell without knowing her body shape from before, but that shape could definately be baby. Be sure to let us know!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie...I think there's too many variables here to tell from photos. First of all,bringing them back from a bony condition, horses tend to put weight on at the belly first, often giving them a prego look. Secondly, You might not have noticed her in heat, as unhealthy mares sometimes don't cycle.....the wee foal would be accurate at this point. But you can't beat a good old ultrasound. Let us know!

Stephanie Pure
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Milly had her vet check today, and she is NOT pregnant! He palpated and apparently couldn't feel a thing, and since she would be at least 8 months he says it shoul have been easy to feel.

So she is just a really really good doer and needs a diet and more excercise lol. ;)

Thanks heaps for the advice!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie...well at least you have your answer..hopefully you are not too disappointed but at least you can get her in good shape and pick the stallion if you decide to breed...Thanks for letting us know :-)

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie, My rescue mare did the exact same thing. And I also suspected pregnancy. She was also non preg. I do think that when they are so neglected they get that appearance before they settle in to a good body score.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned that lesson the $150 vet expense way, also! Here is one of the mares I have rescued and the second pic is 20 days later! I thought for sure she was in foal. It made me so mad to know all this girl need was basic food and she rounded right out. Our animal neglect laws stink in this state...
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/Heartbreaker BeforePicture.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/Frontview6-2 6-06.jpg

Stephanie Pure
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woah! Lucky my non pregnant lesson only cost me $40. ;)

We have winter coming on soon, so I figure her having a little extra weight is not going to be a bad thing right about now anyway.

I never really planned on breeding her, I have only been riding for nearly a year, and she is my first horse. I am so busy training her each week I doubt I would have time for a foal, no idea how you guys do it!

marie bing
Weanling
Username: Marie09

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This actually answered a question for me! I have a mare that I just got that was way under weight and now she looks pregnant. The vet said she isn't, so we're pretty sure that the whole settling into her weight is her issue too.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US