SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bagging early or brought on by feed??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Bagging early or brought on by feed?? « Previous Next »

julie williams
Neonate
Username: Bossybella

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bought a 4 year old pony in October, over the last couple of months she has been changing shape and expanding outwards!

Her previous owner now advises me that she was out with a stud all summer, but never saw them "up to anything" nor did he see her come on heat.

So to confirm either way we had our vet visit, he palpated her but would only confirm that she was definately in foal, and was a min of 7 months, and to put her on a high enegery stud mix as she was a little ribby and to generally keep an eye on her.

Now just 4 weeks later she has just started to bag. She's not big at all, like our previous mare who was huge when she started to bag.

Im worried that she's bagging early, but wonder if she could be further along than 7 months.

but also I was also advised by an experienced friend that a good stud mix could bring her milk in a lot earlier.

Some advice would be appreciated, some pictures are to follow.

Thanks Julie

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that he didn't see them "up to anything" because he missed it the first cycle and then she wasn't interested the rest of the summer. It still amazes me how anyone can think a mare can be out to pasture with a stud and not get pregnant! I don't know about the feed, but based on your area and when mares generally start their season, she may just be further along. Good luck! I hope this was a happy surprise!

julie williams
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

photo:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/juliewilliams_bella/Photo0012.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/juliewilliams_bella/Photo0011.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The udders look fine to me and she doesn't look like she is too close. It is normal for the udders to swell some during the preganancy due to hormones. She may also retain some fluid around them (edema) which is normal. She doesn't look like she is ready to me so I wouldn't worry. Your vet is probably on track with the timing.

Here is an udder comparison I did with my maiden mare last pregnancy - it shows the changes over 38 days
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Dream%20pregnancy%20and%20birth% 20pics-Catcher/Uddercomparison299to336days.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Dream%20pregnancy%20and%20birth% 20pics-Catcher/339daysfirstwax.jpg

There are also some pretty cool birthing pictures
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Dream%20pregnancy%20and%20birth% 20pics-Catcher/P1010776.jpg

julie williams
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Kathee, the pictures are really helpful, when did you find that your mares udders started to fill? I'v found this site so helpful, some of the articles are really useful.

here's a picture I took today, they are definately more fuller than just a cpl of days ago:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/juliewilliams_bella/Photo0029.jpg

I know things will prob turn out fine, but it doesnt stop you worrying!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She filled slightly, like your mare, for a little over a month. The day of foaling, her full udder came in. Some mares don't fill until after the birth, so it is only one indicator. I have found it best to study my mare and determine what is normal so that I will notice something abnormal. Have you read the article on this site about the types of changes you should see? Not all mares have all the signs, but they all have some of the signs. You are right about this site, it provided me with soooo much information the first go round and saved my vet lots or calls (and me $)!

julie williams
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thought I would post a more recent photo taken yesterday. There seems to be a few changes in the last 10 days. Any thoughts that she may be getting closer?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/juliewilliams_bella/Bella2.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udders are only one indicator - these don't look close. Can you post some more pics of her from different angels?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US