SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Rhino and 5-Way Vaccine Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Rhino and 5-Way Vaccine Question « Previous Next »

Shannon Dobsch
Neonate
Username: Pianoforte01

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have two mares 6 months along now. They've been given the 5 month Rhino (pneumabort) and will get the 7 month Rhino. They are due for their regular 5-way vaccines when they reach 9 months. Our repro vet told us to give them their regular 5 way vaccines at 9 months so as much as the vaccine goes to the foal as possible. So my question is, since the Rhino is included in the 5-way vaccine, can I just give them their 5-way instead of the 9 month Rhino or do I still need both?

Thanks in advance

Shannon Dobsch
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I just read that the Rhino vaccine in the 5-way and the Rhino vaccine for pregnant mares (pneumabort) are not the same, so am I right in assuming I can give the 5-way and the pneumabort at the same time when the 9 month mark rolls around?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct that the "standard" annual "Rhino" (EHV) vaccine will not protect against the abortion strain (EHV-1, sub 1). You need to use the specific vaccine for that.

You could give the 5-way and Pneumabort at 9 months, but you would be better off giving the 5-way about 30-45 days prior to your anticipated foaling time, so at about 10-months, as it will give best protection to the foal in colostrum with antibodies if given 30-45 days prior to foaling, whereas if given 60 days prior to foaling, the antibody levels available for the colostrum may be dropping/dropped.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shannon: My vets also agree wholeheartedly with Jos about the annual vaccines.

Although it is always convenient and wonderful in the ideal world to have annual vaccines at the same time every year for every one on the farm, when you start dabbling in prego mares, you may have to compromise the "convenience" factor for the optimum result factor.

My vets (although I vaccinate my own for everything other than the Rabies & West Nile; vets must do those here in Missouri) also have me do EHV-1, sub 1 (pneumabort) at 3 mos, 5 mos, 7 mos & 9 mos. With full vaccinations, including rabies and west nile, at 30 days out prior to foaling. This way baby is ensured, as Jos points out, of getting the maximum antibodies against those diseases upon nursing.

I can completely attest to the importance of this as I had a day old foal go through a fence and cut himself up. Because my mare had her full vaccines within 30 days of foaling, we were much more relieved and not stressed out about tetanus being a problem. We gave him just a tetanus procaution booster vaccine but felt he was completely risk free by setting up our vaccine program based on foaling with our mares.

Its wonderful, in my opinion, to set up your mare care this way. It wasn't until the foals were six months old that I had to introduce their first vaccinations. They had good antibody build up from birth so it wasn't until weaning that I felt it necessary to jab them.

Shannon Dobsch
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies! Whenever applicable, we give our own vaccines, too (we are in MO also) so I'll just give them their 5-ways one month before they are due. Our vet told us two months prior, so that's why we had them scheduled at 9 months. Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome. Where in MO Shannon? If you don't mind me asking.

Shannon Dobsch
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right outside of Troy (in between Columbia and St Louis). Where are you?

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to enquire more about EHV inoculations. I've read on other forums, in the USA and Europe that mares have aborted after being given the Pneumabort K vaccine. It seems it is too many instances to not take seriously, especially in Germany. I was so concerned about it I made enquiries into Resequin (ScheringPlough Intervet) because apparently there are less instances of mares aborting after the Resequin shot. I am not advocating not giving the PK injection, I just want to use the safest and most effective EHV vaccination possible.

I have tried time and again to get a conclusive answer from Intervet as to exactly WHICH strain of EHV1 Resequin has and they cannot give me definitive answer. The Resequin also has EHV 4 and two strains of Equine Flu in it. (BTW, I have spoken to the manufacturers about giving all these inoculations together and they are adamant it is perfectly safe and it is beneficial to give them altogether because it is fewer injections. Because of the time constraints during pregnancy the chances of being able to give them all separately 2 weeks apart aren't always possible anyway.)

I also know that using Resequin to prevent abortions is 'off label' use at present because it hasn't been registered for such yet. Intervet tell me that as we speak it is undergoing trials to allow it to be registered for prevention of abortion.

My question is, does anyone know if it specifically has EHV-1, sub 1 in it and how does one actually find this out if the manufacturers can't say?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shannon: I know where you are! You're up North! Hehehe...I'm down South, in Washington County (Irondale, MO to be exact; just South of Potosi) You're not too far from me though!

Michele: I wish I could answer your question. I'm not sure how to exactly answer. Mares will abort for a variety of reasons. Pneumabort doesn't guarantee that your mare is not going to abort; nor will any other vaccine. I would say that it is preventative only against certain strains that can cause abortion. There is always new and exciting things out on the market and I'm not familiary with Resequin so I certainly wouldn't venture to comment on it.

I have perfectly healthy mares that have aborted, but it wasn't because of Rhino that caused it.

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobbi, but I'm not asking why mares abort or about how effect the Pneumabort K injection is, I'm asking about the safety of the PneumabortK injection.

There are many instances on many forums where mares have aborted and the owners state it is due to the PK injection. Resequin is used widely in Europe (Germany especially) instead of PK because it is deemed safer than PK.

I need a conclusive answer as to whether Resequin has EHV1 sub1 in it. It would seem a simple question, but the manufacturers (Intervet) don't want to say or can't say. I was hoping that this board had knowledgeable members from Europe who would be able to give some info on the subject:-)

If Resequin has the sub1 strain in it then it might be a safer alternative to the PK judging by people's opinions, and even though it's not used in the USA at present, it could be at some stage. I know I'd personally prefer to use the safer alternative.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michele: That's why I was hesitant to even speak about it since its not a product that is used here. From your comment about mares aborting after being given the Pneuma K, I was just commenting on the possibility that it may not be the result of the injection but perhaps other reasons that may just seem coincidental. You didn't really clarify that the aborts were directly contributed to that particular vaccine. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US