SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is she having a foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Is she having a foal « Previous Next »

Lorraine
Neonate
Username: Twonewponies

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello from New Zealand I bought 2 ponies 3 weeks ago both mares, mum and daughter. My question is do you think my young pony is pregnant. I have had a few people ask me if she is. I think she is approx 4 years old. I am not very experienced in mares in foal so any help would be much appreciated. I will try now to download some pics.

Lorraine
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/2newponies

Lorraine
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello again had a bit of trouble trying to select photos to post so have posted the whole album which includes montanas mum.

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The daughter looks pregnant to me. I see that the mom has some ribs showing in one of the pictures, so I doubt that the younger one is well fed while mom isnt getting enough, so I think you might be right in your suspicions.

Best to get a vet out to check so you know for sure and can make sure this mare gets the proper pre-foaling care and immunizations.

D

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the udder shot from mom or daughter? If it is from the daughter I would be suspicious of a pregnancy too...Like Dee said I would get a vet to check. Both have very sweet faces and look to be so nice a quiet around your kids! That is great!

Lorraine
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The udder shots are of montana the daughter. the mom is a bit ribby , when i bought these ponies they were under weight and have both been on good pasture. I wormed them both but didnt seem to make much difference they are both fantastic little ponies thanks for your help will be seeing the vet tomorrow

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep us posted Lorraine. Its always exciting to be expecting something you werent expecting :-)

Oh, and I wasnt trying to be critical about my comment about the mom mare looking ribby, I was just comparing the two thinking that if the mare and daughter were both looking chubby, maybe they were just well cared for and well fed, and maybe the daughter wasnt preggo at all, but since the mom is a bit ribby and the daughter is a chubbo, well that is what makes me think she might be keeping a secret from you :-)

D

Lorraine
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt for one minute think you were being critical just thought i had better explain that they were both underweight and will definatley keep you posted. Its rather exiting and a bit scary at the same time Ive never had a mare in foal before just as well my daughter can ride mum

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats great Lorraine. I am excited to hear what the vet has to say.

Any idea who the daddy might be if she is in foal?

D

Lorraine
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No vet today we had a storm yesterday so they couldnt get here we will just have to wait till next week fingers crossed. I did see the stallion that was on the property big black clydey cross with 4 white legs and blaze hoping if shes in foal I might get a new horse for me lol

Lorraine
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all thought i would give you an update I didnt need the vet montana is bagging up so I guess thats a positive result its very exiting how long do they bag up for before the birth this is my first time

Lynn Bellus
Yearling
Username: Lorilynfarms

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray for you !

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lorraine, looks like you'll be having 3 for the price of two. Keep us posted! They can bag up for up to 4-6 weeks before, maidens can do funny things as well

Lorraine
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi yes lucky me 3 new poniesMontanas udder has shrunk a bit now is this normal Her belly sways from side to side when she walks now she looks hillarious

dee duh due anytime!!!
Weanling
Username: Grammafarm

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, was there a foal?

Sonya D Stevahn
Neonate
Username: Sonyad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all. I have some questions. But first I need to give you a little background information -- For Clarity. IM VERY SORRY ITS SO LONG...PLEASE BEAR WITH ME....

I adopted a mustang baby in 2002. I made huge attachments and bonds with her through-out breaking training...all done by spoiling and all done by me. She was my best friend and my extra child. I bred her and we had our first colt together. The next year my status as college student, stay at home mom, and full time trail rider, adventurer was thrown to the wind with divorce papers.
I was unemployed. Without work history I wasn't a likely candidate for hiring. I was forced to do things I would never do. I sold all of my horses except two. Mine and my daughters. My mother "adopted" my daughters horse -- so that she wouldn't fully "lose" her horse. A close friend agreed to keep my Sady for awhile until things settled down. Time went on and with only a minimum wage job to feed, house my kids, I realized that I would not be able to regain my horses and would have to sell my Sady, my child. My friend sold her to a family. About a year later I had an opportunity to be able to keep her at rental pasture. I started looking for her. I learned the family had moved more than 100 miles away, without any contact information, I looked. For two years I cried because I felt guilt. In my heart I had abandoned her. In my mind adoption is for life not for a few years. I had let her slip away and would probably never see her again. I withdrew from any horse events and couldn't even ride a friends horse without tearing up at the thought that my Sady was out there somewhere. A horse with no papers, no brand that most can read, which was sold at horse sale then sold again, had been in three states that I learned about, Has slim to no chance of being found.
The day after Thanksgiving 2008, I received a miracle. A friend had just leased a pasture two towns over and while feeding, she noticed a horse in the next pasture looked like my Sady. Knowing my emotional state when it came to her my fried called 3 other friends who all have been on numerous trail rides with us to confer. When they were all fairly certain they called me. I broke every speed law there was bawling the whole way there. It was her. After finding the current owner and begging him to sell at a price much higher than was worthy. I got her back. Along with as much history as he could give me. She had been mistreated, abused, almost died of starvation and was rescued by a group from Texas...which he adopted her from. It broke my heart and tripled my guilt at having to lose her.
I have been so happy, and thought that she was just still putting on weight to cover that which she lost.
But now I wonder could my miracle double itself by her being with foal?
She has always been piggy and aggressive at meal times. But she seems to be even more hoggish and her belly seems to be larger in a lower position and very hard and tight, with veins bulging. With her first colt she did not bag up and after birth still did not produce enough milk (never had a tight bag) which led to me bottle feeding supplementally. OH LORD, could she be? I can't believe my blessing at finding her again, let alone accept the possibility of pregnancy....any things I could look for that would help confirm would be appreciated....haven't seen any movement.

Sorry I wrote so much.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...what a heartbreaking story! I am happy she is back with you. Best option is a vet exam. If that is not possible, do you have a picture you can put up so you can get some opintions? It is really going to be hard to assist you since there is no history and no photo. All you need is a digital camera and an internet connection and we can help you with the "how to" on posting a picture.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a heart breaking story with a happy ending. I'm so glad you found her again, she obviously means the world to you. Getting a vet out to check her over is your only sure way of knowing. I'd love to see some pics of her

(Message edited by ajvtbs on April 15, 2009)

Sonya D Stevahn
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You. Yes she is big in my heart. Yet Little in Stature. She was very wild at 8 months, teeth bared, ears pinned, and hooves flying, I fell in love with her. lol. I will take some pictures tonight and then write back tomorrow to ask "how to". Thanks again for all of you being here, for this site.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonya - try to get several angels on her and an udder shot. We look forward to seeing your pride and joy!

Lorraine
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi my pony montana still has not foaled her udder shrunk back she has got much wider and has enlarged milk veins and I am sure I have seen movement in the flank area she is not full in the flank area any ideas

Sonya D Stevahn
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, its me again. I just wanted to post some new pictures and see if the "census" was still the same.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/SonyaStevahn/Sady/100_2163.jpg

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/SonyaStevahn/Sady/100_2166.jpg

Sonya D Stevahn
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops...the question is whether she's chubby or prego...sorry.

Lynn Bellus
Breeding Stock
Username: Lorilynfarms

Post Number: 684
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be interested in hearing what others think, too.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a picture of the mare from the side straight on and level. That veiw is a good one to see if she may have the preg shape.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US