SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bagging up question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Bagging up question « Previous Next »

Dakarai Arabians
Neonate
Username: Lumani

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a quick question - This will be her 5th foal, her last being in 2007. She bagged up weeks in advance for that one but this time seems to be taking her time. She is due march 6th. Last time she was a few days early foaling on July 9th when due July 15.

Is this a good indicator that she will go overdue with this one? Or in terms of bagging up does it vary from foal to foal?

I am finding it quite difficult to see just how much she is bagging up. I live in alberta canada where the weather has gotten below -40 at some periods so as you can imagine she has quite the winter coat dispite having adequate shelter.

She gets uber sensitive when pregnant and will let me slide my hand only so far before she starts her wiggling. I am 7.5 months pregnant and am not about to risk getting kicked myself nor am I fond of being poked and prodded so i won't subject her to that. :-)

From what i can tell i wouldn't consider her bagged up much. I will continue to monitor her over the next few weeks.

Depending on if the foal is in position or is willing to cooperate I would like to find the fetal heartbeat with my stethoscope. What is the best way to find it at this stage? She is Due March 6th

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys!

sheila kelleher
Neonate
Username: Innishfael

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah this is the SAME thing i am going through right now!!!!! mare has had five foals before, has always started her bag 4-5 weeks ahead of time, goes a day or two over 340 for her pregnancies. has always been bred to the same stallion as well. this year she is due march 19, has NO bag whatsoever at all right now. looks like a yearling mare's udder <sigh> she has never done this before, we only bred her the one time, so the dates are in line, no access to any other stallions since.

do you think it is the cold weather and harsh winter doing this ???

sheila kelleher
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in checking with my vet and going through our hay, i have discovered that i have four large square bales of fescue hay! which of course i had been feeding to two pregnant mares from february 18 to yesterday. ARGH. have switched hays and my mare due march 19 has already shown changes in her bag. wish us luck, folks!

sheila kelleher
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow it is odd no one else has commented on this thread, makes me scared that this not bagging up thing is very uncommon. since my last post i have been checking her bag and last week it seemed a little bit bigger but then has not progressed any since, so i called the vet.

had the vet out today and he pulled some blood on my mare. he is going to run the blood for liver enzymes which will show the level of fescue toxicity. if her blood comes back normal, we can rule it out and she is just 'taking her time' he did notice her blood pressure is way up, but that could be due to the vet visit (i know mine goes up when i go to the doctor!)

will keep posting just in case anyone is reading this and hopefully it may help someone in the future.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila, Keeping yall in my thoughts!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, first of all, you cant hear a foals heartbeat with a stethoscope...there's too much water involved. Secondly, everymare can be different every time when it comes to bagging up...typically mares will get their udders going in advance if they have foaled before...but not always, and cold weather will keep them small as well. Not bagging up is not uncommon, it's very common, some mares just don't get an udder until just before or just after foaling.

Dakarai Arabians
Nursing Foal
Username: Lumani

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila PMed me on a different forum to see how my mare was doing so i thought i would send an update. Feirouz is currently 6 days over due but as of yesterday her bag has gone from almost non existant to full. No waxing and the nipples haven't filled yet but there is a deffinently a bag now. I am expecting weather played a big part in it. getting anxious for that baby to arrive.

I have heard it is very difficult to hear the heartbead but not impossible as a few people have claimed to have accomplished it. Which is why i asked :-)

sheila kelleher
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my vet has called me back and said the blood test results were all normal. no elevation of toxicity in the liver, so he is thinking no fescue endophytes. so, i will just wait and see, which is fine, i feel a lot better now that the blood tests show normal. just seems odd that the five previous pregnancies with this mare she started her bag over a month beforehand. weird year!

dakarai, best of luck with Feirouz, i bet we will hear something from you soon! me, i bet i have a good two to three weeks yet to wait.

sheila kelleher
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh i hate waiting! mare is now at day 349 and now she does have a bag but she does not look nearly ready. no V shape, no jelly butt, and her teats are small and not filled. looks like my previous prediction on the 11th was optimistic.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US