SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Strange Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Strange Mare « Previous Next »

pamela
Neonate
Username: Mistybear

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
New to this site hope you can help me
I have a little welsh section a mare who is five in april,
recently in the last six months she has been acting strange
She is a little Show pony and does not get turn out in a herd so she does not get kicked and marked, she is turned out with a friend who is also a mare. when any horse male or female is turned out in the pen next to her she rushes over and sniffs them and then she will squeal and strike the ground she will then turn and kick out at the fence she will also charge the fence and kick out she does not do this with her pony pal!!!! this is all the time 24/7 it does not matter that it is the same horses in there day in day out
I have also noticed that one week she can be ridden and be an angel and the week after she is loopy rearing and bucking when asked to do anything I have never noticed her coming into season she does not wink or squirt urine but at times her tail is dirter then normal.
This is really worrying as she is to be a childs pony and at the moment with these moods a child could not ride her.
She is lovely pony with fantastic breeding and looks and her movement and confirmation are fantastic and in her stable and leading her she is fine can be a bit moody but nothing too bad. Has anyone got any ideas about this? my trainer says she is just a moody mare and to very strict with her and punish her for it
do you think breeding from her would calm her down or maybe hormone treatment I can't use regumate as it is banned in the showing world over here(England)
thankyou and sorry it such a long post

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Pamela!

Have you looked into the procedure where they implant a "bead" into the mare to "trick" her into being pregnant? Or if you don't plan to breed her, you can always have her ovaries removed.

Do you have any pictures of your little girl? She sounds darling :-) I have a Section A stallion, and I just adore him

(Message edited by dressage_diva333 on January 26, 2009)

pamela
Neonate
Username: Mistybear

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Samantha

I have loads of pics but would not know how to download them onto this site if anyone can help i would be grateful
Her Daddy is Springbourne Caraway who is a Top stallion in the Welsh Pony and Cob Society ratings and she has loads of old welsh breeding down her lines (coed coch and revel)her paternal grandad is Penual Mark sorry to be such a bore but she really is lovely, The vet has been out today to take blood to test her hormones to rule out any tumours.
Do you have any pics of your stallion?

Loretta Frino
Yearling
Username: Roxy73

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pamela

I am no expert but I do go on gut instinct with horses.

Mares are the leader of their herds. Your mare sounds like her and her pony pal have established that she is the leader of the two. What she isnt able to do is establish that same leadership with the horses over the fence. She sounds like a strong alpha mare and is still quite young and just trying to find her place.

When riding is it the same person always riding her or a different person? Again she is just trying to be the more assertive one. Some days she feels like it some days she doesnt and she lets you know.

Personally I would work with the pony in establishing a leadership role so she knows that you are her leader when riding...this comes from building a relationship with her and being firm with her but dont 'punish' her.

As for the horses that go in the paddock next to her that is a bit more tricky unless you can give her a chance to take a stand and stamp her authority. Being a show horse this obviously isnt an option. I would probably think about making the fence between the two paddocks safer and leave it at that.

I hope some of this helps it is just what I would think about doing as a starter.

Good luck she sounds just beautiful!
Lorrie

Adelaide Foley
Neonate
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pamela. I don't have much experience with the showing world but if it is that she's coming into season she should be acting like this every 21 days or so. I know this might sound a little strange but in the thoroughbred racing world in the UK and Ireland sometimes they insert marbles into the mares uterus to make them think they are in foal and they stop coming into season. They're fooled into thinking they are in foal. Vets insert the marbles and they are removed if the mare is to be bred. Maybe talk to your vet about it. There are plenty of other options besides regumate, although I can't understand why it's banned in the showing world

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pamela, to put photo links up here you can upload your images to Photobucket.com, then use copy the direct code, and past it here :-)

She sounds adorable! I really like the Coed Coch lines.

Yep, here is my boy's page:
http://www.secretambitionstables.com/burdallordsolomon.htm

I would definately look into the beads/marbles, that sounds like the best option.

carole letarte
Neonate
Username: Yourfirst

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my 4 yr old filly has been mimicking being in heat for months.she stretchs out, squirts and winks.she has gone from sweet to nasty.Vet did an internal and said she is not in heat and felt nothing wrong.He did break her hymen as this sometimes help.We are puzzled and I know she is miserable.Has anyone heard of this,Need help!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US