SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant mare hates me to touch her!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant mare hates me to touch her! « Previous Next »

Joyce-Cookie due June 22
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alot of you know my mini mare, Cookie! She normally is quite sweet and I can do anything with her, such as clip, bathe, clean her udders, whatever without a problem. Now that she is pregnant she is a WITCH!! She is 176 days today and honestly, the minute she became pregnant, she has been like this. She lets me brush her, but as soon as I try to touch her with my hand from the withers back, her ears are pinned and she will think nothing to throw a foot at me! Do I tie her and FORCE her to let me touch her? Her udders, her belly etc? I sure don't want to annoy her, but I at some point am going to want to feel whats going on with her! What should I do??

Thanks everybody!

Joyce

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poor cookie! She must be miserable and confused about what's going on with her. (as much as you are) Give her a little space and do what she'll let you do. I have a few like this, and trust me when i say, it'll all change again as she gets closer to foaling....she'll be back in your lap begging to be scratched and loved.

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock
Username: Michellej

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joyce, I agree with Diana's comment.
Force is rarely the way to go with any animal training. Restraining her won't bring lasting results and she won't be trusting of you now and even more importantly, after she foals either. The bigger picture is to not take it personally ( as we humans tend to do)and let her pregnancy take it's course. The more stress free she is now, the greater likelihood of her being more approachable in months to come is!!
You could try a few tricks such as breaking her feeds up into smaller amounts more often and as she'll be pleased to see you, on some, not all, occassions, work further down her body.
You're still a while off foaling, so I really wouldn't worry! :-)

Loretta Frino
Yearling
Username: Roxy73

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joyce...

When I was pregnant I HATED being touched..I think some horses are the same. It is not that she doesnt like you anymore she is just ultra sensative. Roxy bacame that way and still is around the flanks. You could try doing two things. Safety first if you have a training stick (the kind natural horseman use) rub her all over with it. That way you get used to touching her with an extension of your arm but the safety of some distance. If she starts to move while you rub just drift with her and quit rubbing as soon as she stops. That way you are rewarding her by quiting when she stops.

Secondly I got this great link the other day for basic horse massage. Wonderful for bonding. Even if you just start with her front half where she lets you touch and then work inch by inch back if she is relaxed enough. I did this with Roxy and she loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XK-BXBjLs

If you force a horse to do anything they always end up winning the fight one way or another.

Good luck Cookie is hormonal like the best of us..:-)

Lorrie

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parelli, do you think that during your pregnancy when you "hated being touched", that if your husband touched you with a stick instead of his hands, that would have made the situation better? Would you have been more accepting of the stick? She doesn't need to be trained, she is usually very sweet. It is an emotional/hormonal issue, not a training issue....LOL And if she doesn't care for being touched right now, massage is probably not the answer either.

(Message edited by kdgilger on January 20, 2009)

(Message edited by kdgilger on January 20, 2009)

Joyce-Cookie due June 22
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all SO MUCH!! I'm so glad I shouldn't be aggravating her! I will just continue to scratch her neck that she loves and not worry about any place else! She is at day 177 today!! I'm so excited!!!!!

Loretta Frino
Yearling
Username: Roxy73

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Diana it isnt Parelli it is just a way to gently touch the horse without putting yourself in harms way. I am not suggesting to train her just offering an idea that I think might work if Joyce did want to get closer incase of being kicked. I guess if we are going to use analogy I would liken it to using a loofah or massage stick on ourselves. I dont want to upset anyone with my suggestions as they are just that suggestions.
Lorrie
x

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US