SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How much to give ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » How much to give ? « Previous Next »

Jane Whritenour
Yearling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penny is approaching her 7 1/2 month. I don't think she is very large at this point. She has a good appetite. I currently give her a
healthy scoop and half of food in the morning with 4 flakes of hay
( she shares the hay with a gelding who looks more pregnant than she does) She also gets the same thing again about 5-6 pm.

The scoop is teal in color and square. How much do I increase her feed. Do I need to weigh it?

This is my ( our ) first foal - so I have no clue -other than what I have learned here and read in books so far.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock
Username: Michellej

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane!
What is the 'food' you give the 3 scoops of per day?
What type of hay does Penny share with your gelding?
Yes, you do need to know the weight of the feed your scoop holds so that you can feed as per the manufactuer's directions.

It would be a good idea to separate the two horses at feeding time so that you know EXACTLY how much Penny is eating.
If your gelding is weightier than Penny, he is probably eating far more than his share and leaving her underfed.
Can you post pics with the extra info, otherwise it's very hard to help.:-)

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane, here is a tip. I don't have a feed scale so I just dump my usual portion in a zipliock bag and take it to the grocery store and weigh it in the produce department.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey , where did MY post go? it was here, then it just disappeared!

Jane Whritenour
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the current feed she is on is a mixture of Omelene 200 and Tractor Supply 10 % sweet feed. i mix the two because the Omelene is $17.00 a bag & the 10% stretches it a little further.

Our Hay is Coastal bermuda. Alfalfa hay is $22.50 a bale so she only gets that as a treat.

She had an underweight issue when we got her a year and a half ago- Her back bone was showing then. I just thought she should have a little pudginess by now.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, If I were you, I'd put my mare on Strategy by Purina. It is an all inclusive pelletized feed that contains vitamins and minerals they need late in pregnancy. It also contains 14%protein which will do her good. If you're looking for her to have 'pudginess'....Strategy puts it on quick! And you don't have to supplement it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps. no, i don't work for purina! LOL But I am a HUGE advocate of this product. I have used it to fatten recue horses, and since i have switched to it, my herd has never looked healthier!

Jane Whritenour
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omelene 200 is by Purina also . Whats the difference between the two.?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there are a couple of differences. First off, while Omolene 200 is a great broodmare feed, and they market it towards that, there are things in there she doesn't need (Athlete ...looks like cocoa krispies), and it won't be good for the foal when he starts to feed with mom. Strategy has twice as much fiber as 200, it also has more calcium, more phosphorous, more copper and more zinc than 200 does. It also has enhanced amino acids to support fetal development and milk production, AND has added selenium. It provides fewer calories from starch and more from fats and fiber....which also makes the horses coat look much better. I guess, while they are alot alike, the Strategy is more "usable" to them. I don't limit it to my broodmares though, it's good for everyone in the barn...my stallions eat it too.

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock
Username: Michellej

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree - the products we use here in Australia have a range to suit horses in various stages of life and work. Breeding stallions and broodmares do need to be at a premium, healthwise. A complete pellet for breeding stock is the best choice.
Genetics and nutrition combined bring the best possible foal into the world. As breeders we have the reponsibilty for the ultimate fate of the foal - healthy with correct conformation is the best way to ensure it doesn't end up somewhere unfortunate.
Now is not the time to scrimp on feed costs!

Kathy Hopkins
Neonate
Username: Shadowood4

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Diana about the Stratgey..I have my mare who is now in her last tri-mester on it and she looks wonderful...I have actually switched all of my horses over to it in the last month and they all look wonderful

Jane Whritenour
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought 3 bags of it - Both Penny & Buddy seem to like it. but my TWH Chance doesn't seem to care for it. I spoke with his previous owners to see if they had fed him it before & they weren't happy with it- according to them their horses lost weight on it. So I think i will feed it to Penny & Buddy ( they swap bowls so they have to eat the same) And I'll give Chance the Tractor supply stuff - he likes that

Chris Taylor
Nursing Foal
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Michelle Bee 2 posts above. There will be any number of commercial feeds for mares in their final trimester when the foal undergoes a huge growth spurt and robs mum of much nutrition for growth. feeds you're looking for will have extra iron, zinc, selenium, boron etc. Don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs but always measure feed by weight NOT volume.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI FRIENDS!!! Its been a bit too long since I've visited here! Bet you thought I'd found the end of the world and jumped off!

So, everyone has to update me on who's had babies and whose close to having babies and what is happen' in the equine repo world!

(I've been away calving...had a few close calls...little moo-moos have been dropping like flies around here...keeping me busy until June when I get to go on foal watch with my first one.)

Diana: You'll be pleased to know that I forced weaned Moose again. It has not been pretty and I am dealing with what appears to be a much milder case of Mastitis with Blossom...again...good lord but she's a milker! Moose is handling things quite well...Blossom is running the fence line...still, after a week! Seperation Anxiety at its best!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bobbi! You have been very missed! So Glad that all is well...how the heck is Blossom?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan! (Thanks...I've missed you guys so much!)

Blossom is just being a real royal pain in my tush...still! She blew a hole right through her hoof several weeks back...spent the cold months stuffing the hole with epsom salt poultice gauze pads, then (my vet is so techinically advance here..lol) wrapping her hoof in Duct Tape! Changing that out every day...scared daily to take it off for fear I'd see a bone coming through. But she walked around like she didn't have a care in the world. Go figure. Leftover infection from the Mastitus/Laminitis episode in August. Wow! Its amazing Jan how that stuff lingers and lingers and the effects just are horrific to clear up. I got her weight back up to a decent level and then, I force weaned off Moose again last week. (Didn't want to wean him off during those months of the hole in the hoof thing...afraid I'd be right back where I started). Well, Moose is handling it well. I mean, its only the SECOND time around for him. ROFL! Mom, dear Blossom, is NOT handling it well. She's still running the fenceline screaming her head off for him. So, she's lost a bit of weight, again. She's all blown up in the udder...again. But, so far, no fever. And since she's running herself ragged this time (rather than stoving up and not moving in the 100 degree August sun), I'm hoping that we'll get through this without Mastitus, which in her case, will bring back the Laminitis.

How about that for a mouthful Jan?!?! Sorry you asked now, aren't you?! ROFL!

How's your crew doing? They enjoying the abnormal seasonal weather? Have your horses started to shed yet? Weirdest thing, I have two that are shedding like crazy and the others haven't shed a hair yet. Bizarre!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US