Hope you all had good holidays. I am trying to plan out the next breeding season here for my two girls and I just have a quick question and wanted to give you all a little information about myself as I haven't been on the boards for a very long time and only one or two posts.
I just want to point out that these aren't just random breedings. Both my girls were specifically chosen with breeding in mind, along with being our saddle and show horses. I have been breeding for a few years but do not at this time own my own breeding stallion due to the current economy, nor do i breed every year.
We are expecting only one foal this year, an Al Khamsa Arabian foal on March 6th! yay! She would have had a break this year however she slipped her foal in 2008 and was rebred. This is a repeat breeding to a gorgeous SE AK SO Stallion which produced a fantastic little filly in 2007.
She will be rebred this year for 2010 for a 99.2 % Pintabian. Hubby decided he wanted somthing with a little flash and since that is impossible for a purebred we negotiated and decided on a pintabian this year So spoiled.
My other mare who is a gorgeous 4 year old Straight Egyptian Al Khamsa Asil arabian was purchased with a breeding agreement to the breeders junior stallion "Supreme" who is also SE AK and a grandson of the famous "Thee Desperado". We are quite excited about this breeding as my mare's half sister was just exported to Kuwait and Shamira herself is turning into a fantastic little mare. This should prove to be an outstanding cross.
This will probably be our last breeding year until economy picks up a bit but that will give us time to get these foals into the show ring to flaunt their stuff for potential new homes.
Now to my question. We normally do not send out our horses to stallion owners, we have done breeding leases in the past or they were bred when purchased. This year both girls will be sent out to local breeders. How many cycles do they usually keep them for before sending them home? I know my younger mare will be going up a bit early to get accustomed to the idea of a stallion as she is still a maiden mare. Feirouz has been there done that get it over with kinda girl and usually catches in the first heat.
Anyways thanks guys and again sorry for the longness! Hope to be around more and will be looking for the foal watch threads now that feiouz is getting close!!
Ok, sending my mares out to be bred is THE reason I am now a stallion owner. That being said, here are my thoughts on the subject! LOL First of all, if it were me, I would take the mare who foals to the breeder 26 days after foaling. I would then return to pick her up within the week...assuming it is close enough to run back and fourth in case she is not bred. The other option, is to take her to the stallion owner, and after the last day of her cycle count 16 days, and have her ultrasounded. Do not let a breeder keep her endlessly or tell you things like "we usually keep them 45 days"....stallion owners make money on mare care. Period. I am not saying that your particular stallion owner would be dishonest with you, i am just saying i have seen it. I had a breeder who had 3 of my mares...it was very far from home, and he knew i wanted to leave them all until they were all bred, and return to pick them all up at once. He repeatedly told me that one mare was NOT bred yet (also told me he was having them ultrasounded, which i found later was not the case)My mares ended up staying for 3 months....they're minis, and mare care was only $3/day/mare....but in 3 months, with 3 mares there, it added up! All in all, I found out he was lying just to keep them when the "unbred" mare foaled 3 months early...in other words, she was bred the first month.....and he held them to make money on mare care. Just be careful, and I would much rather take them when they come in heat....then go get them, to return them for their next cycle if unbred when possible. If it's not possible, I would ask for written documentation of Ultrasounds as they are given.
I have taken my mare out to be bred, and I also own a stallion, so I see both sides. With my mare when I took her to be bred, I took her when she was about to ovulate, then left her with the stallion owner to breed when she was ready. I picked her up 5 days later and 11 months after that, I had a foal. I didnt leave my mare there for the 18 day ultrasound, I can do that myself and not pay mare care fees on top of the breeding fees.
As for my stallion, Same thing. The mares come in when they are in heat, we breed them every second day (usually only two breeds) and send them home. I dont want mares around here either. Dont have the time to bother.
Thank you guys! Great advice and that is exactly what I wanted to know! I know both these breeders very well, one i have bought two of my horses from and have never had any problems with. The other is very respected in the circle here but i haven't gone to them before so i just wanted to double check!
Thanks again and hope to see you around the boards!
Hello all, Not sure if you have access to an equine repro clinic or not but if you do I highly recommend it. We take our mares up there pre breeding and they can give us a date to about the day when all of the planets will be lined up for A.I. We drop them off about 2 days before that day and pick them up 3 days after. The clinic inseminates at exactly the right moment. It is 5 days mare care and an extra $300 for the shipment but no risk of injury to the mare,stallion, or foal if applicable. There is also a lower risk of infection unlike live cover. We then have our regular vet do the ultrasound here at the farm in 18, 30 and 60 days.
We do the same as DJ above. We have 2 pinto stallions. Outside mares must be in season when they arrive, mind you some owners have no idea and then some mares are not obvious when "in". Have bred 2 maidens in the past who were in season but no usually oestrus display despite sitting on lovely big 50mm follicles. Both achieved successful pregnancies.
I do AI only. I do not allow my stallion to do LC, I just won't risk it. Anyways, I've found it very easy and effective to have the mare ultrasounded as soon as she starts teasing, then order semen when neccessary. It's escpecially easy when the stallions are local, I call the stallion owner's the night before, and arrange to pick the semen up myself (rather than having it sent by FedEx).
We don't have stocks, so the mare is just sedated. That way you don't have to worry about mare care, trailering the mare, risks of LC, ect... You also avoid the risk of your mare bringing some sort of disease or infection home, that could affect your other horses.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: