SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant Mare ?? Please look at pics on weblink??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant Mare ?? Please look at pics on weblink?? « Previous Next »

Loretta Frino
Neonate
Username: Roxy73

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you all get asked this question but I am wondering if my mare is pregnant. I have only had her for about 10 weeks and she is getting fatter and fatter and today I swear I saw movement. How far along does she look if she is? I have the vet coming out tomorrow and I am very nervous that she may well be in foal and I am not prepared!

http://lorrieandroxy.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Lorrie

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock
Username: Michellej

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lorrie... I'll go out on a limb and say YES, I think she looks pregnant. The size of her belly is certainly out of proportion with her hindquarters.
I'm sure you would have wormed her during the 10 weeks you've had her.
I wouldn't say she is fat - has she dropped weight elsewhere while her belly has expanded?

The ligaments (each side of the spine)in the hindquarters slacken in late pregnancy, making the tailhead look more pronounced and that looks to be the case with Roxy.

You didn't mention her udder - has that changed at all?

Feeding the pregnant mare has been a hot topic here of late, so it is great you'll know for sure tomorrow! The sooner you know, the sooner you can make sure her nutritionl needs and the foal's are met. It'll give you a little bit of time to organise where she can foal in safe surrounds too. Please let us know!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a distinct possibility....she's got that suspicious look about her!

Loretta Frino
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Michelle and Diana,

I have a feeling if she is I will be in here alot for some help!

The previous owner told me that she was wormed before she arrived. I specifically asked her to do this. However who knows now? I seem to have been possibly lied to?

She seems to be losing her butt and gaining a tummy and is getting more quiet if that is possible.

Her udder seemed swollen about 2 weeks ago and then went back down but seemed to be up again yesterday.

I am glad that I have been giving her a feed even though the paddocks have plenty at the moment. She has been getting a lucerne/vitamin pellet mix about 3 times a week.

Yes I really dont think it is a grass belly but I am getting so stressed at the thought that I might have to deal with a foal when I had just started getting ready to ride with the local trail riding group! I guess I will know for sure later today?

Chat soon
Lorrie

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm anxious to hear how it turns out for you!

Loretta Frino
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep it is official my mare Roxy has maybe 4 weeks left before we see a foal. The previous owner assured me that she had not been running with any stallions but maybe she didnt consider colts? Not surprisingly she hasnt answered my email from 10 days ago when I suspected something was not right.

Regardless I now am hoping to get some condition on Roxy and pray for a great birth and a healthy foal. That will make this sudden arrival much easier to deal with.

Thanks for your help I guess I better start looking at joing a foal watch thread! :-)

Cheers
Lorrie and her preggo mare Roxy!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorrie~Congratulations on your surprise! You know sometimes surprises turn out to be the best! Don't worry about it setting you to far back on your trail riding...I am a huge fan of ponying out those little ones on trail rides. I start at around 2-3 weeks and it helps them to learn all about the life they are going to be leading and makes them wonderful trail all around companions and it's good excercise! Very exciting!

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorrie - life has a way of throwing us surprises!!! 4 weeks out is a good time to worm her and it gives you time to switch her feed regime. After years of breeding, the product I use with good results is Mitavite breeda. It has absolutely everything in the pellets that Roxy needs now and when she's lactating.
It'd be a good idea to keep her away from the other horses as even geldings have been known to kill foals. Might mean fencing off an area just for her. Despite these 'headaches' your horse knowledge will grow enormously! Try not to stress :-)
}

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's also an awesome time to do vaccinations....it'll help the foal develop a greater immunity!

Loretta Frino
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much guys!

Jan that is good to know that after 2-3 weeks I can plod around the paddock with the little on in tow!

Michelle - I went straight to the produce store and have two bags of that, I will try to visit her every day to get a little bit more weight on before the foal arrives.

Diana - Yep will be getting tetnus and strangles shots to give her tomorrow. Seeing as though we dont know and cant trust her history we are just doing it to be safe.

The vet was very, very helpful and told me so much. I am more accepting of it today and am planning to write to the previous owner in the hope of getting some answers. At the very least I would like some idea of who the sire is.

I really appreciate the advise and support it here it looks like a fantastic place to get the help I will obviously need!! I have been around breeding before but that was when I was younger and it was my parents responsiblity not mine. I did handle alot of foals though so I dont feel totally lost about what is coming.

Cheers thanks so much
Lorrie

Loretta Frino
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle I wanted to ask you seeing as though you recommended the Breeda. I checked how much to give her on the side of the bag and it said 3-4kg per day. She is on reasonably good pasture so I am wondering if this is necessary. She isnt a big eater but I am guessing that she may need at least 2kg Breeda with a good portion of lucerne? How much do you give your mares? Sorry if that sounded confusing

Thanks again
Lorrie

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lorrie - I'd be giving Roxy 3kgs mixed with about I kg of lucerne chaff in addition to the pasture. I'd up it to 4kgs after she foals as she will be needing it for her milk supply!
She hasn't long before she foals to catch up her own body condition and so you want her to be in best possible shape going into the birth. :-)
Aditionally, if you feed less than the recommended amount, she won't be getting the required amount of vitamins and minerals that she needs. Protein, fats, probiotics and vits have been correctly balanced in the pellets so I definately recommend feeding as per the table on the bag!! :-)

Loretta Frino
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Michelle,

It is her 3rd day on the feed and I have had to add gradually but today I got 2kgs into her plus the lucerne. Will up it to 3kg tomorrow. She is much brighter now that she is getting the right feed and more alert which is lovely to see. I think she has picked up already too. Slight bagging today but I think I still have a bit of time...but then you never know with Maidens so I read!!!

Cheers thanks again!

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to be of help! You are right, it works quickly and it is a pleasure to see their improvement. It's a safe feed too as the enzyme in he grain that ferments is removed in the steaming process so the chance of Roxy colicing is VERY slight even though it's a new feed to her. Don't forget to take more pics!!
I've never had a 'miserable' broodmare - so I hope Roxy stays perky too:-)

Loretta Frino
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries I am going to start a Roxy foal watch thread and will put pics there shortly!

Cheers
Lorrie

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US