SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

COPD and Breeding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » COPD and Breeding « Previous Next »

tara malcolm
Neonate
Username: Dancewithmedixie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 15yr old mare "Dixie" whom I found out on Friday that has COPD or heaves. Right now she is having trouble getting the oxygen out of her lungs, has mucus in her nostrils and is coughing. We started her on 5cc a day of Ventipulmin and will be taking her completely off hay as soon as we can. I was thinking of breeding her when she starts feeling better but I want to know what the risks are to her. I don't want to hurt her at all so if its dangerous to breed her since she has COPD I won't. Help is appreciated.

Also my vet did say that after we have it under control I could possibly breed, but he did not tell me what the risks were, thats why I am asking this. I understand that I can't have her on Ventipulmin when she is near foaling.

I also want to know what the chances are of it being passed on to the foal.

Further information: she has had 9 foals, last one foaled in 2006. I am currently trying to located her oldest foals to see if they have any issues with COPD. I do not know how long she has had COPD as I just purchased her in February and the previous owners did not mention anything about it.

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the research I did a while ago about this it would seem that COPD, some forms at least, are hereditary. Personally, I wouldn't breed a horse with a problem like this even if there was only a slim chance of the problem being genetic. Also, horse pregnancy and everything it involves is so fraught with problems and uncertainties at the best of times it doesn't make sense to add to it with the very real trauma of heaves and everything associated with it:-(

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple of points for your consideration:
  • The use of Ventipulmin (clenbuterol) has a negative impact on uterine contractility, so at the time of breeding you should be conscious of that, and be prepared to treat her for delayed uterine clearance. That would be an issue to consider anyway with a mare that has already had 9 foals, but is likely to be exacerbated by the Ventipulmin.
  • There may be a negative impact related to the use of uterine contractility and foaling, although this seems to be a lesser issue than at the time of breeding.
  • Interestingly, some mares with COPD seem to improve during pregnancy. That is not however universal, so obviously there is the risk that she does not respond positively, and the weigh and stress of the pregnancy becomes a negative factor. All you can do in that respect is try it and see.

tara malcolm
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you or anyone you know bred a horse with COPD? Here is a response that I got from another site and I wanted to know how accurate this was?

The risks affect both your mare, and the foal. The impingement on the diaphragm as the foal develops will affect your mare's breathing capability. In COPD, the air is trapped in the alveoli, where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs. The alveoli become distended with waste gas (carbon dioxide), as it can't be forced out of the alveoli. As the disease progresses, alveoli collapse and the total lung capacity is reduced. Gas exchange is impaired, and carbon dioxide levels build in the blood, and oxygen levels are reduced. Eventually, the body remains in a constant state of mild acidosis, since the carbon dioxide converts to carbonic acid. The developing foal might be deprived of adequate oxygen required to sustain normal development. The risks are related to the stage of the disease, and the effectiveness of treatment.
Also, in advanced cases, the impaired blood flow through the lungs can lead to congestive heart failure. In pregnancy the blood volume is increased, and the workload on the heart is increased accordingly. Therefore, a pregnancy could bring on this secondary complication of COPD.
In my opinion, unless there is very good reason to breed your mare, it would be better not to.

tara malcolm
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to you both for your input. I have contacted the head of the Reproduction Department at the University of Florida Large Animal Veterinary Clinic and spoke to them about everything.

I will not be breeding Dixie as I do not want there to be any chance of something happening to her.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare that is currently about 10 months pregnant and had a foal in 2007 has COPD. She improves almost 100% while pregnant. No heaves attacks at all. My vet said its due to some of the hormones--that act like steroids
She has had no issues with being pregnant/foaling or caring for the foal. After she had the foal in 2007 she had a bad attack about a month later which needed the vet out but had no issues while in foal

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dorthy! So nice to see you on here! How is your mare doing? Is she getting big? As big as last time :-) Please post pics if you can. Any news on Lily from her new owners? Again nice to see you posting.

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tara, I have a mare that if she eats hay, even soaked in water, gets very heavey. She is in foal right now, (10 months). She does great if she is off hay, but that is not always posible. I have done lots of research and I am now giving her Spirulina. She has been on it for a little over a month now. http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/112/1?r=stspirulina
I am even feeding her hay without problems.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan
I know I haven't been on here much. She is getting big but no not near the size she was with Lilly--of course Lilly was HUGE at birth. I haven't heard from her new owners in a few months. I will e-mail them soon for some new pics hopefully

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US