SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Discharge in young mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Discharge in young mare « Previous Next »

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, my 18 month old filly who I will be using for breeding in 2yrs time developed a slight white sticky discharge about 8 days ago. I only noticed a small droplet on her vulva then and saw nothing again until today when I noticed it again and a little bit more this time. She is obviously a maiden filly / mare.

What would cause a vulva discharge at such a young age? Is this something I need to be concerned about?? Thanks.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may be estrogenic urine associated with the mare being in estrus, but if you have any doubts you would be well advised to have your veterinarian examine her as you do not want a uterine infection to be established in a potential broodmare this young.

Michele
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks very much Jos, that's exactly what I'm worried about. Got a gorgeous mare with a IIB uterus who I can't get in foal past 25 days:-(

What about the dangers of rectalling a mare so young, she's about 15.1hh but being very immature she isn't going to like the process and I'm very worried about a rectal tear, is the risk greater in such a youngster?
Is estrogenic urine usually very sticky and white (no odour)? Do you have any articles on estrogenic urine?

Yesterday pm I noticed she might very well be coming into season as her tail was slightly raised and the stallion was calling (there are two who cycle more or less simultaneously and her being so young I haven't recorded her seasons).

I have an appt for the vet to come out in the next 24hrs. I would prefer it sooner, but we are way out and there is a shortage of equine vets.

(Message edited by Mich on December 11, 2008)

(Message edited by Mich on December 12, 2008)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there's an issue, the vet will probably tranquilize the filly, and possibly use Buscopan as well.

You might want to try teasing the filly to see if she is urinating estrogenic urine (which tends to be thicker and yellowy-white in colour, although it usually smells as well).

Michele
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, that's a great idea, I will request that he does that - better safe than sorry.

Late pm yesterday she was 'standing' as if in season. Her urine looked the normal slightly thick yellow colour and smelt high like it does when they're in season. Today she's not showing. If there is a uterine or cervical infection, could the mare present as if she is in season but not actually be??

Initially the discharge was white and by late yesterday it had a slight yellow tinge to some of it. I have not seen any discharge this morning. I have also heard that mares can emit a sterile fluid from the uterus, but surely that would not be sticky?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically if a mare has a uterine infection, the irritation in the uterus will cause prostaglandin release, which will cause her to come back into estrus early, so it would be more likely that she would actually be in estrus rather than presenting as though she were.

Sterile fluid is clear - it's the inflammatory cells (pus) that makes infected discharge yellowish.

I strongly suspect that your filly is just simply in estrus.

Michele
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, that is extremely helpful esp considering the vet can't get out here now till next week!!!! And comforting!

Tell me, would she present the same discharge every time she is in oestrus because I noticed about 6 months ago she seemed to have a tiny bit of discharge on her vulva when she was showing? It was very obviously because she was in season, so I didn't think twice about it as I only noticed it the once and it was almost nothing. (I'm afraid I'm one of those owners who notices every little thing and worries about it. Too much bad luck in the past maybe;))

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's urine then yes, you are likely to see it with estrus. If it's truly a uterine/vaginal discharge associated with an internal infection, then it would be present during estrus as a result of the cervix relaxing. To see a large amount, one would probably be looking at a pyometra situation, which is unlikely in a filly this young.

Michele
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, thanks Jos. I am breathing slightly easier now but it's very frustrating not having a [repro] vet closer on hand. However, in general you are far more knowledgeable than any I have ever met so thanks very much for your help.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US