SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

ARE THEY OR NOT????/

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » ARE THEY OR NOT????/ « Previous Next »

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate
Username: Jojocountry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi...I'm new to this so bear with me please....I have never dealt with pregnant mares before so I'm new to the foaling thing....I have two paint mares that were hand bred the middle of July...
MARE 1- Chey. She is a 14 yr old that has already had 6 foals so I am not too worried about her...
MARE 2 - Cowgirl.. She is 18 and a maiden mare..I bred her last year but she did not catch..Took her to the vet this summer and had her US and did a culture and they found nothing wrong..They are both around the 140 days ...What do you think ?? Yes of no??
http://s405,photobucket.com/albums/pp134/jojocountry_album

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try the pics again http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/jojocountry_album

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanne: Boy...welcome to my world. I've got one of my mares that I'm not sure about either!!! Chey has definately got that prego look. Cowgirl...I'm going to say "yes" but it could be hay belly. Its so hard to tell this time of year when they go through the winter, even my geldings have the tendency to look like their in foal. Hahaha! I'd say stay with us on the board and give us some more photos here in another 30 days. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Sometimes in photos its hard to get that "3 D" look that you get in person.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joanne,

Welcome to the Board. Very pretty mares you have! You know for me as far as looking at them this early....I could never tell visually until about 6 mos along. YOu are in for some fun times! It's the best!

Jan

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks....I did the nail and string test on them a bit ago.......I did my gelding first and he's not pregnant.."thank god "haha. ..it showed chey was having a filly and cowgirl a colt...cowgirl slipped on the ice a couple of weeks ago and seemed to hurt her back so I was pretty worried that she would loose the foal if she was in foal but I never seen any blood or anything so I think she's fine..I didn't want to give her any pain meds incase she was in foal but she started moving better in a couple of days and is running and kicking now so it couldn't have been as bad as I thought..thank god..just a worry wart I guess...

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi.......well we are at 180 days so what do you think?? Do they both look pregnant or not??? I think they do but I thought cowgirl did last year too ......haha....http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/jojocountry_album

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to feel movement but nothing so far......

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanne, Your mares are very good looking. Are they American Paints? Like you I am experiencing my first mare in foal with my maiden mare. She is at 270 days now. With her I felt she looked pregnant at 5 mo! I think pictures don't do them justice because we don't see the three dimension effect. I think they both look pregnant. Did you have a post breeding ultrasound to confirm conception?

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi.....they are both registered APHA mares...I did not ultrasound them...I wasn't too worried about Chey because she has already foaled 6 times so she must be fairly fertile...I was going to have cowgirl ultrasounded but she has to be sedated to be ultrasounded and it was getting to late in the year to try to rebreed her if she didn't catch so I just decided to play the guessing game....haha

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion (my guess)....Chey looks bred, the other doesn't .....YET

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In person Cowgirl seems fuller in the flank than before but could be wishfull thinking....I'll just do like I did last year and keep guessing and feeling up her belly......she doesn't mind me doing it and likes being petted so its ok

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorraine,

Just post the link of each picture that you want us to see from photobucket.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say yes to both, Cowgirl looks bred to me, being a maiden. How about udder shots?

Joanne Thronberg
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi...new pics at 225 days...no udder shots ....can't see for winter hair...haha..
I'm sure chey is expecting and fingers crossed I believe cowgirl is too http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/jojocountry_album

Linda Baurer
Neonate
Username: Cowgirl2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi --- I'm new here, too and have a question concerning my 15yr old mare. She was bred live cover in April/May 2008. The breeder confirmed that she was bred several times and then started refusing the stud (after a few weeks). I had her into the vet in late July to get a sonogram. The sono showed she was pregnant and vet said she'd probably foal sometime in April 2009. It is now March 2009 and she doesn't look a bit pregnant. I have seen no signs of abortion or any other complications. She has showed signs of heat a few times, but I've read on your site that preg mares can show signs of heat. But my main concern is she doesn't look pregnant. She looks just the same as she did this summer. She's had 2 foals in the past, but none since I've owned her (so I don't know what she looks like pregnant). I've really increased her feed to make sure she's getting enough nutrition. Is it possible the sonogram was wrong? Or that she's absorbed it? Or could she just be hiding it well? She is a large mare (16.1hh) and very stocky (built like a bulldog QH, but surely I'd be seeing something by now, wouldn't I (this is my first foaling experience). I haven't noticed any movement from her belly or any bagging up. I know I should probably just get a vet to palpate her, but wondered what others on here thought. Thanks

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Linda...well...my mare never shows her pregnancy much till about 4 weeks out....but her first baby she foaled out on day 380! so...4 weeks out was past the time we were expecting :-) I realy would get out a vet...You wrote April/May what are the dates that she was exposed to the stallion? and past a certain point the fetus drops out of sight and feel for quite a few months so what exactly did the vet see on the ultrasound? Maybe she just is not as far along as you suspected. Can you post some pics?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Linda. One of my mares is built really stocky as well. She had three foals prior to me purchasing her but it had been several years since she was prego. I bred her in July 2007. She did not look prego at all until about the last 45 days. She hid her pregnancy well and it wasn't until she "dropped" and got that V-Look to her belly that you would even know she was pregnant. She foaled on June 25th, 2008 with a big ole fat healthy baby...just like her.

Jan is correct, some show right away and some don't. It could be the way she carries or it could be with these stocky chunky chicken bred horses that they just hide it well.

Now, with that said, I re-bred her back on foal heat in 2008 (well, my stallion hopped a few fences and took matters into his own hands so to speak without consulting me). This year, she looked pregnant back in November and sure has got the whole foal belly going on. Recently, in the past few weeks, I was a bit concerned that she may have aborted as well. She lost that barrel look belly. But, alas, its just that the baby turned (as Jan points out they do) and is laying laterally in line with her so he/she has "disappeared" from obvious sight. She won't get that prego look to her now again until probably about late May. She should foal around July 4th - July 12th.

When baby takes to positioning laterally and getting ready to make their entrance, you won't see alot of movement...they're running out of room to bounce around too much. Bagging up, well, some mares bag early and some don't bag until right before birth, and in some cases (I have one of these too) they don't bag up until they actually deliver the wee one.

If you're worried, I agree with Jan, get another US done just to make sure baby is still tucked away snug as a bug. If not...wait it out. If she's bred, she'll deliver. I would think that if its only recently changed and she would have aborted...you would know it. The aborted foal would have been big enough to get your attention I would think.

If you could take pictures with a digital camera and use photobucket to upload them and then post them on the site, we'll all certainly give you our numerous different and varying opinions. *Giggle* We love a good challenge.

Linda Baurer
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if the other post went thru. Here are some photos of my mare. I think she looks a bit bigger (wider) on the rt. side than the left. But, it could be because I've been feeding her extra this winter, too. She was laying down when I went out to take photos this afternoon, so I took one from that angle, too.

She was with the stud from Feb to June 1 2008. Breeder said she didn't go into heat until April and was refusing the stallion 2 weeks before she came here (June 1). So, my guess is she was bred sometime in April. Her sono was July 30th 2008. Sono and palpation confirmed she was in foal.

Talked to the vet yesterday and after describing her condition (no belly, no bagging, and some heat cycles) she is convinced she is not preg. She thinks a palpation is not necessary and we can cut her feed.

Thanks for your help. I send another post -- and am not sure if it went thru --- sorry if you get this twice.

photos are at: http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww108/cowgirl2/

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That surprises me that a vet doesn't think a palpation is necessary... I'd definately get a blood test done just to be sure. She doesn't look pregnant to me.. but some mares hide their foals.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Linda, She doesn't look in foal to me but again some mares do hide it well and don't really get big until the last few weeks. I'd have the vet palpate her to be sure.

Lynn Bellus
Yearling
Username: Lorilynfarms

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say yes to both.

Linda Baurer
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for your help :-)

What type of blood test would I ask for (I didn't know vets do blood test for preg horses...). And could I draw the blood and do it myself? (I have drawn blood before and she'd be any easy mare to do it on.) Can you order these test over the internet?

I'm not really wanting to pay for the vet to come out --- again (sigh!), so I'm looking for a cheaper way to find out. I guess waiting it out may be the cheapest.....;-)

Linda Baurer
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out and took some better photos today. They are outdoors instead of in the barn.

The link is:

http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww108/cowgirl2/

Again --- thanks for all your help!

(Message edited by cowgirl2 on March 16, 2009)

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda: Uhhhh...I'm not sure. She could still be pregnant...I'm out to lunch on this one. I'm going to look at some photos from Lena (since they have an identical build) from last year. She could still be but I would think she should be showing a bit more than what she is.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US