SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Putting a mare under lights

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Putting a mare under lights « Previous Next »

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal
Username: Marya

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When putting a mare under lights to get her to cycle earlier in the spring for breeding - does she have to be completely closed in the barn with the lights on - cannot see the dark?? I can't completely close up my barn, so I'm wondering if it's even worth while to try stalling my mare at night with lights or if I should just plan on breeding a little later in the spring after she is cycling normally. Also, in Tx if you're planning to breed mid March, what time should you start putting the mare under lights?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please read the article on this site about breeding the mare early in the year which should answer your questions.

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal
Username: Marya

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great article, thanks Jos! I do have one question still, if the mare is able to see the darkness out her stall door, will keeping her under lights still work?

Dee Jay
Weanling
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have sold my stallion to AUstralia. He will be leaving Canada in late April. I am planning on collecting a bunch of straws for freezing, but want to get my mare bred before he goes.

My vet suggests putting my mare under lights to get her cycling earlier than normal, since she says most mares are in a transitional cycling in March and dont really get back into cycling here in Canada until April.

Has anyone had experience with putting a mare under lights, and if so, how is it done. I will have to send my mare out to the trainer where my stallion is as I dont have a barn or any electricity out where the horses are. I only have a walk in shed where they can get out of the weather and wind.

I read the article http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/early.htm

but I still have some questions:

Does the mare have to be totally boxed in to the roof so that she doesnt see any darkness around her?

I also read that they need 16 hours of continuous light from a source similar to a 100watt lightbulb, but my vet says a month or so before hand would probably do the job. The article says 90 days or longer.

lastly, once I have her under lights and we get her bred, does she have to stay under lights to maintain the pregnancy to the 30 day check, or is it safe to go back to the regular routine of turnout?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the mare have to be totally boxed in to the roof so that she doesnt see any darkness around her?

The stall does not need to be totally enclosed, but wherever the mare is located, she needs to be exposed to light (i.e. she can't stand with her head out of a window or over a door where there is no light).

I also read that they need 16 hours of continuous light from a source similar to a 100watt lightbulb, but my vet says a month or so before hand would probably do the job. The article says 90 days or longer.

A minimum of 60 days is recommended. Less is likely to produce unreliable results.

lastly, once I have her under lights and we get her bred, does she have to stay under lights to maintain the pregnancy to the 30 day check, or is it safe to go back to the regular routine of turnout?

If she is not kept under lights, and loses the foal prior to the 35 day point, she may not return to estrus but lapse into anestrus, thereby preventing the possibility of a rebreed. If the stallion has already left, and a rebreed is going to be possible anyway, it doesn't matter.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we put our mares under lights the day after Thanksgiving to get them to cycle and ready to breed in Feb. i have the lights on timers which come on at 4pm and go off at 11pm. as long as you can read the obituaries in a newspaper thats all the light they need. the mares come in the stalls at the 4pm feeding time. (i am also in TX) heres an article from the Lazy E ranch about the lighting program they have
http://www.lazyeranch.net/site//03%20Breeding/Lighting%20Program.asp

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it strange that Paul sits in the corner of a stall and reads obituaries......LOL But, I have started keeping my mare stalls dimly lit for the camera system I have. They're all bred.....is this going to affect anyone in my barn????? The stallions are in the same barn, but their stalls are dark.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Diana, im just checking to see if im in the obits! LOL

Dee Jay
Weanling
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, Paul and Diana. The new owner is considering leaving him here until end of May now instead of the end of April, so that means we can probably get her bred the old fashioned way and not have to resort to the lightbulb thing.

If she changes her mind or cant book him on the flight and he has to go earlier, we can still resort to the lightbulb trick. I have already contacted the training facility to see if they can accomodate her with a light on a timer, so depending on their answer, I guess we will go from there.

Very interesting article though. Ive never had a mare under lights or know anyone that has done it personally to ask the questions. Here in Canada where its darn cold this time of year ( -35c windchill forcasted for tomorrow through Friday) we dont usually try too hard to get early foals as its just too cold for newborns unless you have a nice facility and a good draft proof barn with nice maternity stalls.
Unfortunately, my 20x20 run in shed open at one end doesnt qualify :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US