SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Big Engine Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Big Engine Mare « Previous Next »

John A Croom
Neonate
Username: Jacroom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me again,

Another question. My Big Engine Mare has great confirmation but some times she a little hard to handle. I can usually just ride it out of her. Its really not that big of deal.
I am seriously considering breeding her this coming spring. I want to breed for (1) Disposition, and (1.25) confirmation.
So I guess this is an old question. Who will the foal take after? The Mare? The Stallion? Both? Its Random?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi John,

I my mare is sound minded and has a great disposition. I have bred her to two different stallions. #1 Was very similar in conformation, but he was high spirited (lots of Brio, the are paso finos :-)) the resulting colt is sweet but much more high strung than his mom and needs to be worked down to pay attention too. #2 I bred to a larger boned ultra calm stud, and the resulting filly is super duper calm and very easy going. I think it is a little of both...There are so many Great stallions to breed to that have it all that I would pick the best your money can buy because it is the really the least expensive thing when it comes to having a horse for 30 years. In my so humble opinon.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John: I will tell you this. In breeding my three mares with my own stallion...this is what I got this year.

My "boy" is quite the handful and is a real tough case with the potential to be a hardhead.

My sweet disposition mare had a wonderful and equally sweet and calm baby. Took 100% in personality after his mother.

My semi-hot mare who is sweet but "active" had a "turd" baby who is 100% like his father with regards to personality (his name is "JJ" for Junior Jack@#$).

My big, fat "pushy" mare had a little "pushy" sweetheart but attitudal filly who is personality like her mother but attitude like father so I'd say 50/50 in personality from both.

Hahahaha...doesn't help you much does it?! I'd say its like flipping in coin in my book on what you get. Although, I do believe that personality is extremely important when trying to breed to get one who's more "cooled down"

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US