SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cycling in maiden 3 1/2yr old

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Cycling in maiden 3 1/2yr old « Previous Next »

Nicole Barrow
Nursing Foal
Username: Pegasus

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 3 1/2yr maiden App mare has shown regular seasons until mid-Spring. She showed once to the stallion at the beginning of Spring and then not again. In fact, that season was so strong I had to move her to another part of the farm as she was determined to get to him and he to her.

I am going to get the vet out to check her if she doesn't cycle soon, but just wondered why a mare could just suddenly stop showing. Are there any other reasons apart from pregnancy which might be a reason? No, she was not covered:-)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have moved her completely away from the stallion that may be the reason. A few of my mares wont show unless there is a stallion nearby then they cycle like clock work

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the article about silent heat mares on this web site.

Nicole Barrow
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos:-) She has shown a heat regularly throughout each breeding season since she was a yearling. For it to suddenly stop two months ago is really weird. Usually the sign of a pregnancy but she can't be in foal as she hasn't been covered. From what I understand in the article silent heats are not something that just happen are they?

Hi Jenni, the stallion runs alongside the mares and all are separated by both post and rail and electric fencing. I remove her from the stallion during her heat as I do not want to temp fate and have an accident. If she is not in season she is alongside the stallion. I wouldn't usually expect a mare to show a season if there isn't a stallion or gelding nearby;) At least, I haven't experienced this in my 20yrs of owning and breeding the occasional foal.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares will show a cycle wether anyone else is around or not some must be teased to get to show and others the mere presence of a nearbye stallion will make them show

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a mare who'll show to other mares, or even to a gelding.....so it happens

Nicole Barrow
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it does, but not in my herd.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horses are sentient beings, so environmental variables can have an impact. If the stallion to whom she has shown in the past "says" something unpleasant to her, she may not show to him in the future - so yes, cessation of estrus behaviours can indeed stop and start.

Mares can and do show to other than a stallion. I've even seen mares displaying estrus to inanimate objects and humans, although that is rare than other horses! :-)

Nicole Barrow
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered about the former, if perhaps she'd got too close to the electric fence and been burned and it had perhaps stopped her physically showing to him. She had been showing such strong seasons though.

I should have clarified it by saying that my mares do not show to anything other than the stallion and my problem anyway is that she is not showing anymore.

Nicole Barrow
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An update on the mare is she started showing to the stallion yesterday afternoon. She is only just starting to come into season again.

I'm finding it odd that she didn't show to the stallion for two cycles, and now starts showing again.

The vet is coming out in the next couple of weeks to u/s anyway, but I'm mighty relieved that she seems to be on track again after having had my fair share of problem breeders in the past.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than the above noted reason (sentient beings), there is also the possibility that the mare had an anovulatory hemorrhagic follicle which delayed estrus - something that is slightly more common at the very beginning and end of the physiological breeding season, and which could take 60-90 days to resolve (making the timing about right).

Nicole Barrow
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks very much Jos. Could she have still come into season once at the beginning of Spring like she did (ie just over 2 months ago) and then not again for two seasons and again now? This mare has really flummoxed me!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read the article about AHF's that I gave the link for, you will see that some do not produce luteal tissue, and consequently the mare will not return to estrus until the AHF has resolved by itself - typically 60-90 days. That is therefore one possibility.

As you now indicate "spring" as being just over 2 months ago, I presume you are in the southern hemisphere, and that opens another normal possibility up - that the mare is still transitional. Talk to your vet about it, and they will [probably] be able to explain it more in detail.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US